Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm sure I saw a thread about exhaust leaking and I did a search for leaking but got a whole stack of oil reference threads.

When I start my bike form cold I gets tinny rattle and a leaking gas sound from the back cylinder exhaust joint. The previous owner told me the dealers on the first said it would bed in and it has not. It sounded like BS when I heard it but I got a sweet deal on the bike so let it slide through. Now I want to do something about it. Can someone refer me to the thread or suggest fixes?

I will attach a video to this thread when I get home for the weekend.

Thanks all

Mick

Ps forgot to say it goes away after the bike warms up!,

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Mick,

It could be a blown exhaust gasket or loose flange bolts.

If I were you I would take it to the dealer and get it fixed under the warranty, especially if the dealer has it documented.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I'm sure I saw a thread about exhaust leaking and I did a search for leaking but got a whole stack of oil reference threads.

When I start my bike form cold I gets tinny rattle and a leaking gas sound from the back cylinder exhaust joint. The previous owner told me the dealers on the first said it would bed in and it has not. It sounded like BS when I heard it but I got a sweet deal on the bike so let it slide through. Now I want to do something about it. Can someone refer me to the thread or suggest fixes?

Thanks all

Mick
Mick C take it in & get it looked at & fixed under warranty it is a gasket or loose clamp my bike has the same noise in the muffler when first start up I live with it when warmed up no noise goes away best of luck mate & let us know the outcome

·
Super Moderator
4,805 Posts

When I start my bike form cold I gets tinny rattle and a leaking gas sound from the back cylinder exhaust joint.
I don't remember a exhaust leak thread...but that doesn't mean anything. :confused:

Is the leak coming from the exhaust pipe to the cylinder head connection area or further down at the 2 into 1 connector?

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
When I replaced my headers, one of the nuts on the stock rear cylinder header was literally hand loose. The other nut was tight and I didn't notice any problems with leaks, but if both flange nuts were loose I could see your issue happening.

The "bed in" advice was BS. Loose headers never "bed in".

If you're mechanically inclined it's not hard to get at, an allan wrench to pull the little cover off and a socket to tighten the flange nuts.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And a video of the rattle

·
Registered
256 Posts
That's what mine sounds like. I don't hear anything abnormal. I thought exhaust leaks tick under load. All I hear in that video is normal engine / valve noise. I used to own a Ural, so I've become accustomed to a loud valve train :D Choo chooooo

·
Registered
949 Posts
Well that just means you all have a leak!

But seriously, you can simply use your hand to feel any leaks. Can even use water to pin point the culprit. It does sound like the engines I heard today, and I heard a lot.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Well that just means you all have a leak!
Well, if that is the case it has been leaking since day one, does so without showing any visible signs, (can't feel/see the leak) and didn't cause concern to the dealer when it was serviced 4 days ago.

·
Registered
949 Posts
I was only kidding. If you can have the joint covered with a liquid that could "seal" the joint but still weak enough to show where the leak is, if it is there.

You would see black soot around the headers as well if there was one.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ear plugs and loud music!!

Seriously, it's not affecting performance it's purely an aesthetic that disappears in about 15 mins. These days I choose what I work about and I'm letting this one go through to the keeper. Oh that's a cricketing term...I'm not swinging at this one!

Keep happy and healthy, that's the key.

Mick

·
Registered
64 Posts

Thanks all

Mick

Ps forgot to say it goes away after the bike warms up!,
Have you ever noticed an exhaust smell when you get on it? I swear I smell exhaust every time I hop on the throttle, wondering if I may have a a leak as well

1 - 20 of 33 Posts