Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

It's been a while .... between navigating the Covid-management waters, work, life, and family matters, I've been off the grid for a bit.

I just had an awesome journey with my brother over 7 days. We rode from the Bay Area up to a campsite off of highway 50 where we camped for 4 days. We then rode out 50 east to 395 north, then onto 139 north all the way up to Klamath Falls, Oregon. The next day we rode to Crater Lake, and spent the day exploring the park. I took this route a few years ago, but my brother never has, so it was nice seeing it with him, and seeing his awe at the spectacular countryside.

Our ride home took us out highway 66 to I-5 north, out to Grant's Pass, where we took highway 199 back into California to highway 101 in Crescent City, then down to Klamath where we camped for the night on the river.

Our final leg was down 101 South back to the Bay Area. It was a long, HOT ride. The temps topped 114F for a hundred + miles. Our total ride was 1320 miles...

Anyway, part way through the trip I noticed an oil leak from my right fork - out of the top seal. The next day I noticed the same leak from the left fork.

???

I had them serviced at the factory interval, and had a hot trip to Montana and back to California, and never had this issue.

Last November I took a ride to Cabo San Lucas and back - we trailered the bikes back from San Diego to NorCal - and I tied the bike down so much I think I bent my side stand - but the forks never leaked oil until now.

Could the elevation or tempertures I just expireineced (or combo of both) cause this? Or did I over compress the forks way back when, and now they're leaking?

Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Mode of transport Cruiser
Vehicle Tree Sky Footwear Motorcycle
Text Font Electronic instrument Games
Body of water Crater lake Lake Mountainous landforms Mountain
Body of water Natural landscape Lake Crater lake Water resources
Body of water Nature Lake Crater lake Wilderness
Spoke Rim Wheel

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Great pictures!
Have you already tried seal mate?

·
Registered
492 Posts
I had the fork oil changed on my Chieftain @ 15k mi. but not the seals since they were not leaking. At 25K the right one started to leak. Had them both replaced and just completed a 3K ride around the country and thru the panhandles of OK, TX. No leaks. I hail from Deckers Co. 8500 ft..

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
I have done nothing with the front forks so far - on a '14. Around 25K on it.
No leaks.
In the picture the seeping could be wiped off and monitored to see if any more leaking occurs. It does not look like much seeped out.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Changed at 40,000. Still no leaks, but what a difference new oil and seals make.

Reactions: GreatWhite
1 - 6 of 6 Posts