Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have brake fluid leaking on my 2017 Chieftain from under the front brake lever. Not a lot, but that pin in the front lever is wet with fluid and there will be a few drops on my right side floorboard over a few days. Anyone else experience this? Fix?

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,038 Posts
So I have brake fluid leaking on my 2017 Chieftain from under the front brake lever. Not a lot, but that pin in the front lever is wet with fluid and there will be a few drops on my right side floorboard over a few days. Anyone else experience this? Fix?
There are rubber seals on the plunger that rides in the master cylinder bore. The master cylinder will have to be disassembled so they can be inspected and replaced if found to be damaged. Rebuild kits with new seals are available. It is not hard but you will have to bleed the brakes after reassembly.
--- Randall

·
Bronze member
2,559 Posts
Brake fluid will not harm chrome, but will ruin paint. It’s got to be coming from the seal around the reservoir cap, the fitting where the line goes into the reservoir, or possibly from around the plunger in the housing where the lever attaches. Wherever it’s leaking, there should be a wet trail. Was the bike recently serviced (possibly overfilled)? The service manual states to level the bars to check the reservoir level. I take that to mean turn the bars to the left...if you don’t, the fluid will run out when you remove the cap. So, with the bike upright, turn the bars to the left, remove the cap, and check the level. My RM has two marks in the reservoir...full and low. Ensure you’re not over full. Clean the rubber gasket and reservoir lip, paying attention to which side of the gasket faces up. Reinstall and tighten, but those screw are not designed to be super tight. Just turn until they stop with moderate pressure, then just give it a slight tug...no tighter. An over tightened reservoir cap may deform the gasket and leak.

If the leak is the plunger, you can remove the brake lever and inspect the inside of the housing. If that’s the leak location, that area in the housing should be wet.

If the leak is the fitting where the line connects to the reservoir, I’d expect to see a drip starting there.

FYI...I have a Ducati that will leak at the reservoir cap if I fill it to the full mark. I always keep the fluid level just below full and do the same on my Indian. Good Luck.

·
Bronze member
1,678 Posts
i have seen the weeping from the cap also. there is a small vent notch to allow air to escape and allow the rubber seal to expand. Over tightening the reservoir cap can cause issues.

·
Registered
475 Posts
The last time I flushed my brake fluid, I thought I should clean around the pin and dust boot. The pin was loose so I pulled out and to my surprise the brake fluid started to pour out the bore. Make sure the boot is seated and the pin is not scored. You may have to bleed the front brakes; I did.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts