Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to say hello to everyone as this is my first post. Their is a store not far from my house that has leaded gas, but it is only 87 octane. I have been putting it in my scout but sometimes my bike will jerk when you let off on the throttle. I was wondering if I should used the top grade of unleaded gas, 91+? Several people has told me that leaded gas was the way to go. My bike is a 2019 and I have had it about three weeks.

·
Founding member / platinum
10,005 Posts
Are you actually thinking about the gas that does not contain alcohol?

Lead in gasoline has been against the law in the USA since 1996 but was phasing out in the '80s.
All gas now it unleaded and some contain as little as 10% and as much as 15% of alcohol.

The gas that most search for is gas with no alcohol but it is all unleaded now.
There are some aircraft fuels that do contain lead but very expensive and not available from all the regular gas sources.

Available mostly to aircraft only, although some motorcycle dealers keep some on hand for off-road bikes at an exaggerated price.

·
Rider
1,030 Posts
I want to say hello to everyone as this is my first post. Their is a store not far from my house that has leaded gas, but it is only 87 octane. I have been putting it in my scout but sometimes my bike will jerk when you let off on the throttle. I was wondering if I should used the top grade of unleaded gas, 91+? Several people has told me that leaded gas was the way to go. My bike is a 2019 and I have had it about three weeks.
Run the bike with the higher octane gas with ethanol. But, put a good ethanol treatment in each time you put gas in. Stable marine or Lucas ethanol treatment are two of the best. Star-tron is also rated pretty well.

90 octane ethanol free works fine if you can get it

To find out what's available in ethanol free gasoline go to this website:
Pure-gas.org

I will finish with an editorial comment. If you own an internal combustion vehicle you're pretty much getting screwed by the United States government and the agricultural Lobby. It's really no more complicated than that.

Reactions: WillyH

·
Premium Member
1,216 Posts
Buy 'Top Tier', highest octane gasoline, like Chevron. Problem solved.

Reactions: saxmaniac

·
Bronze member
1,813 Posts
I am not sure about your engine, but the 2016 Scout manual recommends 91 octane minimum. If you need to use the 87, balance it with 91/93 every other tank.
Anyway, congrats on the bike and enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Use the correct octane over incorrect without ethanol!!!!

·
Registered
618 Posts
Buy 'Top Tier', highest octane gasoline, like Chevron. Problem solved.
I looked up Top Tier, and Consumer Reports recommends it as worth the money. Going to try it since my usual brand is Gulf.

Then again, they say you can get away with lower octane if the manual says "recommends" as opposed to "requires".

Thanks for the idea.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts