Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Leaving a gas station and they had a metric ton of loose gravel going onto the highway. Talking those tiny grey fuckers. Somehow the bike slid out in a low side and I managed to drift it for about 5 feet until I just lost it. Only damage, somehow, was to my left foot peg and mirror. I guess those superbike classes and learning low sides finally paid off

79561436-F01C-4EFE-A111-C0580CC92134.jpeg
5B0F6555-3BD3-4DA0-99D0-36E7B6C18B84.jpeg

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I hate that stuff. Should be banned on roads, or as any kind of filler.

My worst experience with that was back in the early 80's, I was a road salesman in Pennsylvania. Heading South from Scranton down into Stroudsburg, a 20 ton dump full of it about a mile ahead of me started having a minor hydraulic leak in his dump system. Slowly, slowly, the bed started lifting, dropping a thin layer of the stuff on the road in front of me.
I felt the steering of my company car go at the same time I heard all the little rocks hitting the bottom of the car. I started noticing cars all over the shoulder, up on the banks, etc.
I just let my foot off the gas, popped it into neutral, and tried to keep it straight. No anti locks on an 81 Monte Carlo!
I drifted to a stop just a few hundred feet short of the truck, which now had a bed totally lifted, with the driver standing to the side scratching his head. A State Trooper was parked behind him, writing him up.

Luckily, it seemed that no one hit anyone else, save for the poor people who skidded off into the shoulders and grass.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hate that stuff. Should be banned on roads, or as any kind of filler
Yea this was a road redone recently, so there’s a large area of it at the intersection. Like I said, no need in fighting it, so I just tucked my leg to where it wouldn’t get mangled and just let it go.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Yea this was a road redone recently, so there’s a large area of it at the intersection. Like I said, no need in fighting it, so I just tucked my leg to where it wouldn’t get mangled and just let it go.
Sometimes, that's all you can do.

Back when I had my Shadow, the county resurfaced the roads in my neighborhood with that asphalt stuff that they dump a shit-ton of tiny gravel on for the traffic to impact into the road surface. They had the HUGE orange signs up at both ends of the road, warning motorcycles to be cautious. So, I took it slow and careful. A couple weeks later, the signs were gone, so I figured that all the gravel was in the road surface, and no longer an issue. Going into a 90 degree right corner, I dropped it into 2nd and twisted the throttle, as it was uphill. The rear end swing out from underneath me, and the only thing that kept me from going down was that, as soon as I felt it slip, I reduced throttle and steered slightly into the turn. When the rear wheel caught, it was more-or-less in line with the front, so I was able to keep the bike up.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
That sucks. Glad you’re okay. I go way outta my way to avoid loose gravel or sand. The stock tires on my bike seem like they are slick when I encounter either one. Trying to maintain control of an 800 plus pound bike that’s shimmying side to side makes riding interesting (as evidenced by the pucker marks on the seat).

Bubba

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
That sucks. Glad you’re okay. I go way outta my way to avoid loose gravel or sand. The stock tires on my bike seem like they are slick when I encounter either one. Trying to maintain control of an 800 plus pound bike that’s shimmying side to side makes riding interesting (as evidenced by the pucker marks on the seat).

Bubba
Having ridden my Shadow (530lbs), and my RM (930lbs), I find that the additional weight helps with stabilization.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Ah yes, the joys of loose chip gravel. Here in Pennsylvania, that's one of PennDOT's favorite tools for cheap road maintenance.
Few things pucker you up quicker then rounding a bend while blasting down your favorite twisty backroad, only to come upon this dreaded sign
upload_2019-5-2_12-48-55.png

·
Registered
461 Posts
Super bike schools
Redge Pridmore C L A S S
Have saved my hide more than once

Wised up, sold my vanson leathers and ride with motoport Kevlar mesh

·
Registered
67 Posts
Oil and chips referred to as Poor mans paving. And they will take you out. Dropped my bike at a sloped stop sign when my foot slipped to the point of no return for a 900 lb bike.

·
Bronze member
3,775 Posts
Ouch, that hurts.

I hate loose gravel as much as anyone. At the motel I was staying at over Easter they had tiny gravel chips over the bitumen in front of my unit. Pushing a big bike backward on that stuff had me going very carefully indeed as my feet kept slipping. In my state it's now mandated that road crews sweep loose gravel from any new surface before they open it to traffic. Loose gravel on our roads is very rare now, but in private car parking areas bikers are not so well looked after.

·
Bronze member
2,754 Posts
As long as your ok ,you can always buy new bikes ,but can't always fix our bodies.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts