Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Or do you prefer to ride with a mixed Indian, or mixed everyone group?

For me, I have done it all and while my favorite riding is with my hubby, we also ride with some mixed groups. The IMRG is too far an there is no IOA in our area (and I am too busy to start one.)

Chime in!!!

Reactions: Freya

·
Senior Member / gold
6,803 Posts
Sorry to be a poop, but even as a guy, if some dude were to post “Do any of you guys ride with men only groups?” It would sound quite misogynistic to me... (moderator corrected spelling)

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL - thanks “lady” - get a spell checker at least! LMOA!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Despite what the other poster stated, it is a reality that, on average, men and women come at riding in a different manner. I'd like to find a ladies' group but don't really see an active group in my area. For the most part, I ride with my spouse but would like to try riding with a small group of other women someday. I wish Lita's had a group near here.

Kathy

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a group of ladies that I rode with for a few years and we had a great time. When the group started to branch out into too many social activities and fundraisers things went down hill. I think that organizing around an existing framework like Motor Maids would be the best way to do it. I just don't have the time to do it now - too many other things going on in my life. I ride with my husband for the most part too, although we have a few mixed groups we ride with.

Reactions: Freya and BHlvr

·
Registered
29 Posts

For me, I have done it all and while my favorite riding is with my hubby, we also ride with some mixed groups. The IMRG is too far an there is no IOA in our area (and I am too busy to start one.)

Chime in!!!

Chime in!!!
When i lived in michigan, i was part of a woman’s riding group for a few years. We still stay in touch, and some have done a trip south to ride down here with me! I havent found a group here to ride with, and I have been in Georgia for about 6 years. I hate riding is really large groups, becasue you are at the mercy of the weakest link, and well, some people just dont know how to ride! Hubby and I pretty much stay to ourselves or do solo rides. I do miss the women’s group rides, though!

·
Registered
256 Posts
When i lived in michigan, i was part of a woman’s riding group for a few years. We still stay in touch, and some have done a trip south to ride down here with me! I havent found a group here to ride with, and I have been in Georgia for about 6 years. I hate riding is really large groups, becasue you are at the mercy of the weakest link, and well, some people just dont know how to ride! Hubby and I pretty much stay to ourselves or do solo rides. I do miss the women’s group rides, though!
A large group would definitely not be my "cup of tea" but a small group would be fun to ride to destinations with.

Good luck finding a group. I am wondering if the "deep South" area just doesn't have the same number of woman riders as other parts of the country.....

Kathy

·
Registered
63 Posts
There is a women's group called Women On Wheels(TM) that is nationwide. It does have men as support members but a number of their events is women only, but we let our guys come along on our local chapter rides, dinner socials, etc. Check out www.WomenOnWheels.org The group has been around since 1982 and has chapters in many states. I know there are some pretty active chapters out east such as Massachusetts, etc. When you join W.O.W., you can affiliate with a chapter if there is one in your area or you can participate in the national events only...it is up to you. Each year they have a Ride-In (TM) in a different state. In 2020 it is in Minnesota, my state, and our chapters are hosting it in Winona MN July 7-9, 2020. Last July the International RIde-In(TM) was in Casper, WY, the year before in Johnson City, TN, and it has been in Vermont, Colorado, Pennsylvania, etc. so there is a new destination every year. I have been an active member since January 2007 and have made many wonderful, lifelong friends and always someone to go riding with, a large group or a couple of people. P.S. I do ride a lot with my husband, too...he doesn't like large groups so we typically travel on trips by ourselves and meet everyone when we get to the Ride-In(TM). Check us out! :cool: We all ride all different kinds of bikes, 2 wheels and 3 wheels, Indians, HD, Honda,Yamaha, etc.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I wish there was a ladies group in the Charleston, SC area. I have not been able to locate one. :(
There is also a group called Open Road Girls that has members throughout the country. It is not an "organized" group but rather women from all around the country that get together to ride, enjoy social events. It was started in Minnesota by Malinda Johnson, who happens to be a friend of mine, who now lives in Florida. There is a Facebook group Open Road Girls that you can check out to see if there are women in your area that ride. They all ride different types of bikes and are very supportive of each other. Hopefully you can find someone to ride with in your area or near your area. Malinda promotes women riders and she began this journey by selling apparel for women riders but has grown into a huge following of women riders around the country. I believe there are over 30K members/followers in the group I linked for you. We have our own FB page Minnesota Open Road Girls with almost 800 members/followers.

·
Registered
256 Posts
There is also a group called Open Road Girls that has members throughout the country. It is not an "organized" group but rather women from all around the country that get together to ride, enjoy social events. It was started in Minnesota by Malinda Johnson, who happens to be a friend of mine, who now lives in Florida. There is a Facebook group Open Road Girls that you can check out to see if there are women in your area that ride. They all ride different types of bikes and are very supportive of each other. Hopefully you can find someone to ride with in your area or near your area. Malinda promotes women riders and she began this journey by selling apparel for women riders but has grown into a huge following of women riders around the country. I believe there are over 30K members/followers in the group I linked for you. We have our own FB page Minnesota Open Road Girls with almost 800 members/followers.
Thanks for the info! I will definitely check out that FB group.

·
Rider
897 Posts
Sorry to be a poop, but even as a guy, if some dude were to post “Do any of you guys ride with men only groups?” It would sound quite masogonistic to me...
There has been a great divide in groups for many years and this comment i quoted erked me a little.

It is more of a norm to have segregation of sexes in the past and even today with the exclusion of women to join or be full patch member in motorcycle clubs. So for a man to stand up and ask for a men's only group sounds a little senseless as he has the option to choose one of many groups that are around. Many of them do not allow women to join. Women can hang around but can not join. I can name 5 clubs alone were i live that are men only clubs.

My uncle told me a story from when he was a child that his mother was a motorcycle rider. She came upon a bridge. On this bridge there was a group of men who saw her coming and freaked out because a women was driving a bike. So they all jumped off the bridge in fear as they never in the live saw such a site.

it is becoming more common for a women to drive a bike but her place for many years was the back seat of the bike.

So for a women to ask if any one rides with a exclusive women's group should not sound strange. it only does so because women are trying to make it a norm for women's riders and share in the same experience of having a all women's group that men take for granted.... so let us have our share and have a man ride on the back for a change..lol

"chrome angels" is a world wide group.. check to see if there is a chapter close to you.

love this commercial from a while ago...

·
Registered
42 Posts
I do ride with an all female riding club, yes. I love the female energy and support. And to the guy that made comments about it being sexist, most MC’a ARE male only. Hence why women’s clubs were formed in the first place. We aren’t opposed to men riding with us, they just can’t belong to the club. In most male dominated clubs, women aren’t allowed to ride at all.

·
Rider
897 Posts
I do ride with an all female riding club, yes. I love the female energy and support. And to the guy that made comments about it being sexist, most MC’a ARE male only. Hence why women’s clubs were formed in the first place. We aren’t opposed to men riding with us, they just can’t belong to the club. In most male dominated clubs, women aren’t allowed to ride at all.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts