Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My hair is pretty long.. down to the middle of my back ( I really need a haircut!). I'm finding it hard securing my hair in a ponytail, and then trying to keep it my helmet so it doesn't get tangled during a ride.

So for those of you with long hair, how do you secure it for use with your helmet and stop it from being one big wad of knotted hair at the end of your ride? I've tried do-rags, but it's a pain when trying to remove the helmet, and it coming off too. Any easier solutions you've found? (other than just having short hair!)

·
Silver member
3,585 Posts
Man bun time LOL

Yeah, my pony gets all snarled too. Worse with the fork mounted wind deflectors (Vintage) because they cause hair to whip around to the front of my face.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have something similar to these...

https://www.amazon.com/OUYZY-Balaclava-Motorcycling-Skateboarding-Protection/dp/B07C2FD76B/ref=asc_df_B07RVHWQ23/?tag=&linkCode=df0&hvadid=344057363721&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13515218564632194655&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9030457&hvtargid=pla-782173294026&ref=&adgrpid=69358347775&th=1

I don't tie it or anything, just wear it over my head and down over my hair. I found this stops the tangles. My hair is shoulder length though so it doesn't come out of the bottom. If I don't wear one of these I usually braid my hair. I don't have enough hair for one of those fancy leather holder things so my options are limited. These do come off when I remove my helmet but because there is no need for a knot it doesn't really matter and I can just put back on and wear as a headband. It also really helps with all of the little fly away hairs I get around my face when putting on my helmet. There is always that one little hair that I can't find but tickles my face.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
for decades i had hair past my shoulders. then i ended up cutting it. at first getting use to it was screw this sht.
Then i was awesome no more tangles, 2 drops of shampoo /conditioner an i'm done. lol
I tried the head band, helmet. just have to say NOOOO.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Reactions: Geoff-3 and Keltik

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions! I've ordered some of these and will see how they do. I need to cut about 2 inches off the length of my hair.. then it will probably be a lot better!
Honestly it was a game changer for me. They are thin so there wasn't a noticeable difference in helmet fit. I was at the point where everytime I got on the bike I wanted to go and chop all of my hair off.
That "Wrapter" thing that Reddsurion1 posted looks really cool also. I just don't have enough hair for it.

Good luck!

·
Registered
40 Posts
My husband pointed this thread out to me last night. Here are my experiences. At its longest my hair is midway down my back. I use the armpit test for cutting - when I find my hair catching in my armpits time to take an inch off! I have a lot of hair, but it is very fine, and I wear it in long layers. Also, I wear a full face helmet...always.

1) Tried a regular pony tail holder. I can get away with just one holder if I'm only going a short distance on back roads. Otherwise...rats nest. Time to untangle if riding this way at highway speeds 30 minutes plus...I hate my hair!
2) Added a short (3-inch) pony wrap to my one pony tail holder. This worked really well, except since I bought a leather wrap, it tended to pull my pony tail holder down. In fact I actually lost it when I made the mistake of riding to a hair appointment and putting it on for the ride home. My hair was so soft from the products it pulled right out somewhere on the ride home.
3) Tried a longer (6-in high) pony wrap, also leather. Abandoned this one pretty quickly. Since it was leather and longer, it was even heavier. I could feel the weight of it pulling.
4) Tried headbands. This works better, although you do have to practice your helmet removal technique to keep it from falling on the ground.
5) Tried braiding the pony...once. It was a disaster. Taking my helmet on and off meant my fine hair was pulling out of the base. Since it was braided I couldn't really redo the pony like I normally would. Worst experience yet trying to detangle my hair.
5) Currently using 2 pony tail holders, one in the normal spot and another halfway down. This generally does the trick, although I frequently redo the pony when stopped since my fine hair underneath will pull out and rat up like you wouldn't believe. I combine this method with either barrettes to keep my layered hair on the side from tickling my face, or the headband...depends on the temperature.

Haven't yet stooped to cutting my hair, I still love it even with all these issues. I do have a neck gator. I'll admit I never thought to tuck my hair under it. I'll try that this fall.

·
Premium Member
1,216 Posts
"5) Currently using 2 pony tail holders, one in the normal spot and another halfway down."

Use 3 or 4 and add a little glue(gel) to keep them in place if I'm going to be on the road all day.

·
Premium Member
1,216 Posts
What are "pony tail holders"... like scrucie's?
Hell, I don't know what they are? All I know is after years of using rubber bands a female friend gave me some bands that don't rip your hair out on removal. ;)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Maybe they're actually called pony tail ties? I get them by the dozen in the pharmacy/beauty section of our grocery store. Always carry extra on trips, never know when one will break. The ones I use are pretty small and thin, which is a preference for me with my soft hair. They hold tighter.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts