Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got to ride all the Harley touring bikes today, back to back (it was in the mid 80's temperature wise). Then I went and road a Roadmaster. I was shocked how much hotter the Roadmaster was. The Indian staff said it was not typical and blamed it on the back to back demo rides (they verified the vents on the lowers were open during my ride). BUT, the Harley's were ridden back to back (and actually the Harley demos were much busier than the Indian ones) so I don't buy that. The Indian staff also said the Harley's have heat shields stock from the factory, and Indian does not. They suggested that if the heat bothered me I could add them - but then again changing the cooling air flow could do more harm than good too. Which makes me wonder why they weren't included from the factory. The Roadmaster was borderline uncomfortable (like stop the demo ride too warm), whereas the Harley's were 'just warm'. Let me also state I've never owned a Harley or an Indian: just 1 Kawasaki, 1 Suzuki, 1 Yamaha, and 5 BMW's. Thoughts? Comments?

·
Registered
244 Posts
I got to ride all the Harley touring bikes today, back to back (it was in the mid 80's temperature wise). Then I went and road a Roadmaster. I was shocked how much hotter the Roadmaster was. The Indian staff said it was not typical and blamed it on the back to back demo rides (they verified the vents on the lowers were open during my ride). BUT, the Harley's were ridden back to back (and actually the Harley demos were much busier than the Indian ones) so I don't buy that. The Indian staff also said the Harley's have heat shields stock from the factory, and Indian does not. They suggested that if the heat bothered me I could add them - but then again changing the cooling air flow could do more harm than good too. Which makes me wonder why they weren't included from the factory. The Roadmaster was borderline uncomfortable (like stop the demo ride too warm), whereas the Harley's were 'just warm'. Let me also state I've never owned a Harley or an Indian: just 1 Kawasaki, 1 Suzuki, 1 Yamaha, and 5 BMW's. Thoughts? Comments?
Try the Chieftan or Classic... No lowers to trap the heat.

·
Banned
2,947 Posts
Based on your observations, If you live in a hot climate you may want to consider a Harley as opposed to an Indian for yourself would be my thought.

·
Registered
124 Posts
My Roadmaster was VERY hot in stop and go traffic. Added stage one intake, Dobeck tuner and V&H slip ons problem solved. It is now very comfortable.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My Roadmaster was VERY hot in stop and go traffic. Added stage one intake, Dobeck tuner and V&H slip ons problem solved. It is now very comfortable.
So it's running too lean from the factory and richening it up helps cool it down?

·
Banned
2,947 Posts
I think where you are (AZ) is hotter than where I am (MA)!
I assume it is also but I'm not the one that is bothered by the heat from the Indian.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I thought the lowers were removable? If so, wouldn't that help (assuming they are part of the cause)?
The lowers are easily removable.

·
Gold member
6,449 Posts
I'll take comments for 200.00 dollars! Way too many BMW's! The Roadmaster isn't the only 'Hot indian' , they are all Hot! Even the Scouts! We all got lucky! Hot hot hot!

·
Registered
336 Posts
You can find several threads where people used different methods to address heat. I can't say i have ever really had an issue with the bike being hotter than any other VTwin water cooled or not (you have an engine between your legs).

·
Registered
553 Posts
I know you are looking at the Baggers so I'll keep this short. Both Shadows I rode seemed warmer than my Scout in traffic (but I am not through break in so things can change), the shields kinda suck on Hondas and are thin. My 1200 had the headers wrapped and other than a hot seat it wasn't bad. You have options, Roadmaster mentioned the Chieftan, did you get to test ride it?

·
Founding member
1,763 Posts
Also, if you test rode the new 107 ci Harley touring models, dissipating heat better was a major design goal for Harley with that engine to address previous customer concerns and it seems they were successful.

So it's running too lean from the factory and richening it up helps cool it down?
Yes, it runs lean to pass emissions. Running lean generates excessive heat. You can cool it down with a fuel controller and mods to help it breath better.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
My rm is hot but when I'm riding not bad. I am 6'4" it seems taller riders have less of a problem with it than short people. Also if you take off the lowers what's the point of getting an rm

1 - 15 of 15 Posts