Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can any of you guys or gals tell me what it costs in labor to install a set of stage 1 exhausts at a dealership? Just looking for a ballpark estimate. I’m thinking about getting a set for my 18 Chieftain DH. The Indian site gives me the price for the slip ons and the tips, but I’d like to know the labor cost.

Bubba

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
1/2 hour is all it takes, but some shops may have 1 hour minimums. Schedule it along with other service work. What is your location? Changing over those mufflers is the simplest and easiest task.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1/2 hour is all it takes, but some shops may have 1 hour minimums. Schedule it along with other service work. What is your location? Changing over those mufflers is the simplest and easiest task.
Thanks much. I’m in SC. Nearest dealer is Indian Motorcycle Charlotte NC. Just curious how much North of a grand it would cost. I have 972 miles on my bike, so it’ll be awhile before my next service (2500 miles).

Bubba

·
Registered
163 Posts
I don’t know what the dealer would charge, but I would HIGHLY encourage you to do it yourself.

I’m the most fumble handed, could break a shoelace, non mechanic, which end of the screw driver is the working end type you’ll ever encounter and I put Crusher Mavericks on my Scout 60 myself.

The hardest part was getting the old ones off. They were pretty tight on my bike. I just exercised patience and eventually got them off. Literally took maybe 30 minutes to install the new slip ons.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don’t know what the dealer would charge, but I would HIGHLY encourage you to do it yourself.

I’m the most fumble handed, could break a shoelace, non mechanic, which end of the screw driver is the working end type you’ll ever encounter and I put Crusher Mavericks on my Scout 60 myself.

The hardest part was getting the old ones off. They were pretty tight on my bike. I just exercised patience and eventually got them off. Literally took maybe 30 minutes to install the new slip ons.
I’m the same way. I’d rather have it done at the dealership as an ECM reflash is required. Additionally, I’m 57 YO and not too fond of laying on my back to remove and install the slip-ons. Besides with my luck I’d forget to tighten something and lose one while riding down the road. I tried it on my Harley Trike and the rubber bushings gave me hell throughout the install. In my opinion, 75-120 bucks is worth it for them to install the pipes.

Bubba

·
Registered
27 Posts
Putting a set of slip-ons on your bike is beyond easy. Save yourself the time and money and do it in your driveway. Shouldn't take more than a half hour.

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
I’m the same way. I’d rather have it done at the dealership as an ECM reflash is required. Additionally, I’m 57 YO and not too fond of laying on my back to remove and install the slip-ons. Besides with my luck I’d forget to tighten something and lose one while riding down the road. I tried it on my Harley Trike and the rubber bushings gave me hell throughout the install. In my opinion, 75-120 bucks is worth it for them to install the pipes.

Bubba
No flash, and no rubber bushings to deal with. I do understand you wanting to pay someone else to take on the hassle. O/P mentions "North of a grand $", and that sounds just a bit crazy to me. V&H slip-ons plus labor would be shy of $400. If you were traveling to my shop in Kansas, the price even with Indian OEM pipes would be less than $500. If it were me, I would spend that extra money on a PV3 and a good tune.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Putting a set of slip-ons on your bike is beyond easy. Save yourself the time and money and do it in your driveway. Shouldn't take more than a half hour.
No thanks. I’ll do the dealer thing. I don’t do squat outside in 95 degree, 100 degree heat index weather. And as far as the reflash goes, I believe you’re wrong, here is the quote from the Indian website:

“This complete kit conveniently includes the required Calibration Code that upgrades the Engine Control Module (ECM) software from stock to Stage 1, allowing this kit to be properly installed by your dealer. No additional software purchase necessary.”

Bubba

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
No thanks. I’ll do the dealer thing. I don’t do squat outside in 95 degree, 100 degree heat index weather. And as far as the reflash goes, I believe you’re wrong, here is the quote from the Indian website:

“This complete kit conveniently includes the required Calibration Code that upgrades the Engine Control Module (ECM) software from stock to Stage 1, allowing this kit to be properly installed by your dealer. No additional software purchase necessary.”

Bubba
The flash is definitely NOT required to be done for exhaust-only mods. It is done when you change out the intake system. Stage 1 as defined here is both exhaust and intake (usually done together and identified - "kit").

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No flash, and no rubber bushings to deal with. I do understand you wanting to pay someone else to take on the hassle. O/P mentions "North of a grand $", and that sounds just a bit crazy to me. V&H slip-ons plus labor would be shy of $400. If you were traveling to my shop in Kansas, the price even with Indian OEM pipes would be less than $500. If it were me, I would spend that extra money on a PV3 and a good tune.

The grand are the OEM pipes and Tips only (Indian website). I do not ever want or need a tuner. Had PC V on my Harley Trike and it was a pain in the ass to deal with (never did run right afterwards).

Bubba

·
Registered
5,917 Posts

Bubba
Your dealership loves you! ;)

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The flash is definitely NOT done for exhaust mods. It is done when you change out the intake system. Stage 1 as defined here is both exhaust and intake.
I believe you, but their website says different. Don’t take offense, but all I wanted was an estimate of the labor cost to install them, not a lesson in stage 1 exhaust and intake.

Bubba

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
The grand are the OEM pipes and Tips only (Indian website). I do not ever want or need a tuner. Had PC V on my Harley Trike and it was a pain in the ass to deal with (never did run right afterwards).

Bubba
To each his own... When you are ready and see a need, there is a wealth of proper expertise and experience here for your benefit.

·
Bronze member
1,756 Posts
No flash needed as others have mentioned
Find a used set and DIY

I found a pair With tips shipped for like $300
Not a scratch

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
I believe you, but their website says different. Don’t take offense, but all I wanted was an estimate of the labor cost to install them, not a lesson in stage 1 exhaust and intake.

Bubba
No offense taken, all information offered is worth what you paid for it.

·
Bronze member
1,756 Posts
No flash needed as others have mentioned
Find a used set and DIY

I found a pair With tips shipped for like $300
Not a scratch

Removing the bags will take longer and be more difficult than throwing the pipes on

1 - 20 of 109 Posts