Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After selling "La Sancha" in November, it was a long, cold but no snow, winter in PA. I chronicled my build in a thread called "The road so far....or my DH Saga ". Over 31,000 views!!!

Since selling the bike, I have looked at a million HD's, Victorys and Indians but kept coming back to the older Chieftain. I love that locomotive-train fairing look.

Purchasing a new bike (to me) tomorrow, a 2017 Indian Chieftain, found on Facebook Marketplace. Towing a u-haul motorcycle trailer behind my Jeep Wrangler JK to look at the bike and pretty sure, purchase, in New Jersey, about 1.5 hours away. Price is $14500.00 which is low retail according to NADA. The bike has less than 3000 miles and was maintained by Gotham Motorcycles / Indian of Staten Island. It comes with saddlebag audio, 14” apes, Corbin seat, Reinhart pipes, Hi flow intake and tune, LED headlight and passing lamps and more. Have not been able to sleep for the last few days, trying to make sure everything is lined up. I've also named the bike "La Loba" or she-wolf in english.

To purchase a bike from NJ and register for tags and title in PA, you just need the title, filled out on the back by seller, a bill of sale (with sellers name, address, phone #, signature) and copy of sellers license, front and back. I am going to insure it by phone, before we take it back to PA. Plan is to take it slow and not make some of the impulse buys I did with my last build.

So far, lined up my painter to paint custom rear fender bike color silver, from the "La Sancha" build. Also want him to add a small wolf portrait on the rear fender above the frenched license box. Still haven't figured out if what color or type of pin striping I want to do, maybe some gold/silver leaf accents.....plenty of time to decide later...Anyway, please join along as I start my new journey with a new bike!

RearFender1.jpg LaLoba1.jpg

·
Rider
468 Posts
Very cool. I'm looking forward to watching.
I bought a bike a couple states away too. May I suggest not showing up with a trailer? You might make a better deal without it.
I called ahead to the small town the bike was in and found one I could rent local.

you could always drop it at a gas station for a while too (with permission)

Best of luck!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Friday the 13th....la loba is bought and paid for, sitting on a cement pad, under a cover, in front of my house. Have contacted painter to repaint rear fender and do an air brushed wolf. Have the primary cover being worked on by 3D design (Brock black). Thinking about getting Corbin seat restitched....the list goes on an on. The most important thing right now is to enjoy some sunny (s)miles on her!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Senior member / gold
6,386 Posts
If you need good, unbelievable leather work, give me a shout, and I'll hook you up with him. A forum member made my front fender bib, and is doing my seat.
Here is the bib. I'm a Vietnam vet, hence the ribbon on it.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you need good, unbelievable leather work, give me a shout, and I'll hook you up with him. A forum member made my front fender bib, and is doing my seat.
Here is the bib. I'm a Vietnam vet, hence the ribbon on it.

Very nice Chief and thank you for your service! How is the front fender bib attached? Please send me info on your leather guy.

·
Senior member / gold
6,386 Posts
Chief Signguru, what does something like that cost? And how does it attach to the fender?
It attaches with a super heavy duty velcro. The cost varies. The forum member is @Art0565 , and he does amazing work. I gave him my Momento Mori logo, but gave him artistic freedom for the rest of it, and you can see the results. The seat, I gave him a few suggestions, but he will decide. The results will be a surprise, but will be just as amazing.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have put about 150 miles on La Loba since my last entry. Short rides to get us acquainted and sort any odd noises out. Roughly 2900 miles on the odometer!

resizedNewHope3132020.jpg

Things are lining up. Got my painter matching bike paint (Silver Smoke, P-581) on the rear fender I had customized with a frenched license box to eliminate the bulky indian rear lights. I am going with Custom Dynamics license plate holder with the run, turn and brake lights integrated. He is also going to throw a wolf-woman "La Loba" air brushing between the box and rear seat bolt. Also ordered a custom primary cover from 3D Design (formerly Brock Black).
Installed a new battery today along with passenger peg deletes.
Have a Carl Brouhard brake pedal and arm to install, maybe tomorrow....

Also ordered Osprey Bag Spool locks this morning. 32mm was the spool size we finally landed on. Gotta say, Dave from OspreyLimited.com is customer oriented! Worked with me to make sure I was getting the right ones the first time.

battery.jpeg IMG_9558.jpeg CarlBrouhardBrakePedal3192020.jpg CarlBrouhardBrakeArm3192020.jpg IMG_9352.jpeg

La Loba – The Wolf Woman
There is an old woman who lives in a hidden place that everyone knows but few have ever seen. As in the fairy tales of Eastern Europe, she seems to wait for lost or wandering people and seekers to come to her place.
They say she lives among the rotten granite slopes in Tarahumara Indian territory. They say she is buried outside Phoenix near a well. She is said to have been seen traveling south to Monte Alban in a burnt-out car with the back window shot out. She is said to stand by the highway near El Paso, or ride shotgun with truckers to Morelia, Mexico, or that she has been sighted walking to market above Oaxaca with strangely formed boughs of firewood on her back. She is called by many names: La Huesera, Bone Woman; La Trapera, The Gatherer; and La Loba, Wolf Woman.

The superstitious call her soul stealer, claiming she weaves a dream catcher to snatch up those who would cross over and cage them in the light of her fire. The sole work of La Loba is the collecting of bones. She is known to collect and preserve especially that which is in danger of being lost to the world. Her cave is filled with the bones of all manner of desert creatures: the deer, the rattlesnake, the crow. But her specialty is said to be wolves.

In Mexico’s Sierra Madre Occidental, or Sierra Tarahumara, the indigenous Rarámuri (Tarahumara in Spanish) people tell legends of a giant rampaging through the scenery, causing the deep ravines with his heavy footfalls. It is also home to the Mexican gray wolf.
Linda-Garrison-Copper-Canyon-300x225.jpg
She creeps and crawls and sifts through the montañas, mountains, and arroyos, dry river beds, looking for wolf bones, and when she has assembled an entire skeleton, when the last bone is in place and the beautiful white sculpture of the creature is laid out before her, she sits by the fire and thinks about what song she will sing.
And when she is sure, she stands over the criatura, raises her arms over it, and sings out. That is when the rib bones and leg bones of the wolf begin to flesh out and the creature becomes furred. La Loba sings some more, and more of the creature comes into being; its tail curls upward, shaggy and strong.

And La Loba sings more and the wolf creature begins to breathe
Kurt-Kadin-La-Loba.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Installed brake pedal and arm in between rain showers, then did my valley forge park loop. Time for a cigar and let the dog out until it rains again!

·
Senior member / gold
6,386 Posts
I have put about 150 miles on La Loba since my last entry. Short rides to get us acquainted and sort any odd noises out. Roughly 2900 miles on the odometer!

View attachment 580598

Things are lining up. Got my painter matching bike paint (Silver Smoke, P-581) on the rear fender I had customized with a frenched license box to eliminate the bulky indian rear lights. I am going with Custom Dynamics license plate holder with the run, turn and brake lights integrated. He is also going to throw a wolf-woman "La Loba" air brushing between the box and rear seat bolt. Also ordered a custom primary cover from 3D Design (formerly Brock Black).
Installed a new battery today along with passenger peg deletes.
Have a Carl Brouhard brake pedal and arm to install, maybe tomorrow....

Also ordered Osprey Bag Spool locks this morning. 32mm was the spool size we finally landed on. Gotta say, Dave from OspreyLimited.com is customer oriented! Worked with me to make sure I was getting the right ones the first time.

View attachment 580589 View attachment 580590 View attachment 580591 View attachment 580592 View attachment 580594

La Loba – The Wolf Woman
There is an old woman who lives in a hidden place that everyone knows but few have ever seen. As in the fairy tales of Eastern Europe, she seems to wait for lost or wandering people and seekers to come to her place.
They say she lives among the rotten granite slopes in Tarahumara Indian territory. They say she is buried outside Phoenix near a well. She is said to have been seen traveling south to Monte Alban in a burnt-out car with the back window shot out. She is said to stand by the highway near El Paso, or ride shotgun with truckers to Morelia, Mexico, or that she has been sighted walking to market above Oaxaca with strangely formed boughs of firewood on her back. She is called by many names: La Huesera, Bone Woman; La Trapera, The Gatherer; and La Loba, Wolf Woman.

The superstitious call her soul stealer, claiming she weaves a dream catcher to snatch up those who would cross over and cage them in the light of her fire. The sole work of La Loba is the collecting of bones. She is known to collect and preserve especially that which is in danger of being lost to the world. Her cave is filled with the bones of all manner of desert creatures: the deer, the rattlesnake, the crow. But her specialty is said to be wolves.

In Mexico’s Sierra Madre Occidental, or Sierra Tarahumara, the indigenous Rarámuri (Tarahumara in Spanish) people tell legends of a giant rampaging through the scenery, causing the deep ravines with his heavy footfalls. It is also home to the Mexican gray wolf.
View attachment 580595
She creeps and crawls and sifts through the montañas, mountains, and arroyos, dry river beds, looking for wolf bones, and when she has assembled an entire skeleton, when the last bone is in place and the beautiful white sculpture of the creature is laid out before her, she sits by the fire and thinks about what song she will sing.
And when she is sure, she stands over the criatura, raises her arms over it, and sings out. That is when the rib bones and leg bones of the wolf begin to flesh out and the creature becomes furred. La Loba sings some more, and more of the creature comes into being; its tail curls upward, shaggy and strong.

And La Loba sings more and the wolf creature begins to breathe
View attachment 580596

Kewl back story! Can't wait to see your ongoing project. I think, for you, it's the journey, and not the destination. You get more satisfaction in the transformation. Just an observation. I would have been happy riding your Dark Horse for the rest of my life. You love the journey from a factory bike into a one of a kind custom. You sir, are an arteeest!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Kewl back story! Can't wait to see your ongoing project. I think, for you, it's the journey, and not the destination. You get more satisfaction in the transformation. Just an observation. I would have been happy riding your Dark Horse for the rest of my life. You love the journey from a factory bike into a one of a kind custom. You sir, are an arteeest!
Chief, you got me. It is all about the journey. Thanks for the compliments. La Loba's transformation is underway!!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Installed Carl Brouhard Designed floorboards and Indian seat. Looking at getting Corbin seat re-done by my upholsterer at some point. Next up....Carl Brouhard Designs toe and heel shifter ( waiting on pegs)

BTW, keeping all stock parts to put back to stock if I ever decide to sell.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Had just enough of a weather window this morning to put on Carl Brouhard Designs heel and toe shifter arm and pegs, tested, works. Also put on Avon Grips (cuz you can never have too much chrome!) Next up.... ride when weather gets better for more than a day, have primary cover coming from Brock Black Designs, tank and horn cover appliques from Artabyssdesigns.com , rear fender repaint and airbrushing from Dan Gonder @ DGcustompaint .
IMG_9654.jpeg IMG_9658.jpeg IMG_9659.jpeg IMG_9660.jpeg

·
Senior member / gold
6,386 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Weather in PA is beautiful today! Installed my primary cover from Brock Black to acknowledge my silent service brothers. Think I’ll practice some “social distancing” today as well, by taking one of my local loops.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Installed these today, much better than stock Indian fairing speakers. Funny thing is they mounted right up, no mods whatsoever. Nice for a change, true plug and play.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Changed the oil, installed these tank and horn emblems from Angie @ artabyss design studio. Love the way the pewter offsets the chrome and silver...:

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Some big changes to La Loba are coming soon. Ordered Rinehart slimline dual headers, voodoo air cleaner, PV3 tuner from Fuel Moto, along with a 21" Dirty spoke chrome spoke front wheel/Metzler tire from SMT Machining. That plus the rear fender that is being painted and airbrushed as we speak. Of course this build is happening during a pandemic and shipping is pretty wonky right now. I am guessing its going to be towards the end of summer before I get her through these upgrades. Not sure if I want to "air-ride" this one. I'd be hard pressed to improve the way she rides now....

1 - 20 of 68 Posts