Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed the Kuryakyn Lid Organizer on my ‘19 RM Elite today. This organizer is held on by 8 different 2”x4” pieces of Velcro. I have read on other threads where several folks have said that when it gets hot the Organizer will fall off the lid due to the adhesive on the Velcro letting go. Also happened to a buddy of mine on his ’18 RM Elite. I decided to go 1 step further and added additional attachments by using the 4 bolts that mount the Luggage Rack to the lid. You cannot see the 2 lower bolts because the heads are in the pockets of the organizer. Hopefully this will help keep it in place.
EB0318BD-BDD2-4F2B-BA9B-6BBCEB695557.jpeg 0ABD4933-12A9-4F9E-BD96-788C0C967D07.jpeg 987CD833-7194-4C45-8A18-D217E7429C0C.jpeg FDD850A2-BD55-4934-BABF-3FEA31B42287.jpeg

·
Rider
548 Posts
Installed the Kuryakyn Lid Organizer on my ‘19 RM Elite today. This organizer is held on by 8 different 2”x4” pieces of Velcro. I have read on other threads where several folks have said that when it gets hot the Organizer will fall off the lid due to the adhesive on the Velcro letting go. Also happened to a buddy of mine on his ’18 RM Elite. I decided to go 1 step further and added additional attachments by using the 4 bolts that mount the Luggage Rack to the lid. You cannot see the 2 lower bolts because the heads are in the pockets of the organizer. Hopefully this will help keep it in place.
View attachment 581960 View attachment 581961 View attachment 581962 View attachment 581963
Have one sitting in my garage ready to mount, unfortunately my 19 elite is in the shop and they are shut down with the lock down in place...no idea when I‘ll get her back...probably a couple of weeks. Thanks for the post and think I’ll do as you did. Believe they switched out the mounting take as mine came with quality 3M velcro. I’ve got a spool of heavy industrial Velcro and will probably use that instead as once it’s on it pretty much stays put.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2019 Roadmaster matte black and gray
3,072 Posts
I did the exact same thing with mine. Holds it in place perfectly. Highly recommend this method.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Have one sitting in my garage ready to mount, unfortunately my 19 elite is in the shop and they are shut down with the lock down in place...no idea when I‘ll get her back...probably a couple of weeks. Thanks for the post and think I’ll do as you did. Believe they switched out the mounting take as mine came with quality 3M velcro. I’ve got a spool of heavy industrial Velcro and will probably use that instead as once it’s on it pretty much stays put.
Man that really sucks!! Good Luck on getting it back soon. My organizer also has the 3M Velcro. What is your RM Elite in for?

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
I've been meaning to do this with mine, just did not have an exact location to drill the holes in the organizer.

·
Rider
548 Posts
Man that really sucks!! Good Luck on getting it back soon. My organizer also has the 3M Velcro. What is your RM Elite it on for?
Having an issue with the Rivco trunk relocation brackets the dealer installed. Sure between the dealer and Rivco they'll get it figured out and corrected.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've been meaning to do this with mine, just did not have an exact location to drill the holes in the organizer.
In case you were wondering how I did it. 1st I installed it according to the directions. After that the 2 top hole locations were easy to locate because they are right on the edge of the organizer. The other 2 locations I peeled back the organizer just enough to expose the hole location and then I marked the location with a silver marker. The bottom left location was the most difficult because the bolt is deep inside the mirror pocket Behind the zippered mesh pocket. I made a very small incision in the zippered mesh pocket just enough to get an Allen wrench in. It is behind the zipper so you cannot see it. E0E0CF65-5628-4F9B-86A9-D050A865E928.jpeg 367E0FEB-63CC-487D-AD0D-AA1F493744B9.jpeg

·
Premium Member
1,886 Posts
My experience has been less with the Velcro turning loose than the glue holding the Velcro. So, my organizer hangs on a peg in the garage. Hasn't fallen off yet.

·
Rider
1,138 Posts
Having an issue with the Rivco trunk relocation brackets the dealer installed. Sure between the dealer and Rivco they'll get it figured out and corrected.
What is your issue having the brackets installed....? I installed mine on my 2016 Roadmaster with no problems at all.

--
Gordon

·
Registered
16 Posts
I initially did the same thing by attaching the organizer to the rack bolts. Then I found that the sides bent / folded inward after awhile. So I decided to have the lid covered with the same color material and have the organizer sewn into that material. The organizer is not a problem any longer and I think it looks good.

·
Bronze member
2,017 Posts
I initially did the same thing by attaching the organizer to the rack bolts. Then I found that the sides bent / folded inward after awhile. So I decided to have the lid covered with the same color material and have the organizer sewn into that material. The organizer is not a problem any longer and I think it looks good.

View attachment 582214
Nice job, that looks good.

·
Rider
548 Posts
What is your issue having the brackets installed....? I installed mine on my 2016 Roadmaster with no problems at all.

--
Gordon
The mounting bolt heads are digging into the saddle bag lids and the rails are rubbing in other spots....sure Rivco and the dealership will get it corrected. Hoping they can fix that Elite’s paint job, too pretty to have goofed up.

·
Rider
548 Posts

View attachment 582214
That looks fantastic!!! Think I’ll have the upholstery shop do that to ours when they redo the seat, etc.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts

View attachment 582214
How/where did you find the material and have it done? Cost?

·
Registered
16 Posts
How/where did you find the material and have it done? Cost?
Kitulu, I had it done by a local upholstery shop in Pa. They narrowed my seat and made it more comfortable, along with working on the tour pak lid. All total It was like $500. Not really sure where he got the material for the lid. Only thing I made sure of was that all of the bolts attaching the rack and back rests ect were all accessible and not underneath the liner when done. They do really good work!

·
Bronze member
1,161 Posts
I epoxied my Velcro tabs to the lid itself - 1 yr holding strong.
(Note, that I removed the adhesive they came with, using a brake clean that did not harm the plastic Velcro tabs themselves)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Any idea what material they used on the lid, color, etc.? As soon as this virus craze is over and I get our bike back it’s heading to the upholstery shop. Thanks!!
CenCalRider,

I will reach out to the guy that did the install and ask him for the details if you like? Might get a response tomorrow if not then on Monday.

I will let you know.

Bill

1 - 20 of 25 Posts