Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Challenger Limited, Ruby Red Metallic
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Installed these on my 2021. No issues until installing the clutch side perch clamp……don’t fit right. There’s about an 1/8 inch gap on the bottom of the clamp, and the clamp appears to not be sitting flush against the handlebars.

Anyone else have this issue? I sure hope its not a QC issue with the bars, and I need to replace them……

Am I missing something on the install?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Yeah, a few of us. It seems the weight doesn't allow it to fit. But I'm telling you man. You can't even notice one way or another

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
432 Posts
Installed these on my 2021. No issues until installing the clutch side perch clamp……don’t fit right. There’s about an 1/8 inch gap on th bottom of the clamp, and the clamp appears to not be sitting flush against the handlebars.

Anyone else have this issue? I sure hope its not a QC issue with the bars, and I need to replace them……

Am I missing something on the install?
This happened on mine. Trust me, you want the bar weight in there. I just carefully took a drill and shaved more of the hole out left. It seems they must have somehow messed the measurements up, or something. The distance seems like they didn't account for the bar weight. Pretty easy fix though.

·
Registered
316 Posts
This happened on mine. Trust me, you want the bar weight in there. I just carefully took a drill and shaved more of the hole out left. It seems they must have somehow messed the measurements up, or something. The distance seems like they didn't account for the bar weight. Pretty easy fix though.
I have email traffic directly from Ret Tolleson, discussingthe bar weight. He says it doesn't really matter. But if it makes me feel more secure, I can trim the bar down or elongate the hole.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I have email traffic directly from Ret Tolleson, discussingthe bar weight. He says it doesn't really matter. But if it makes me feel more secure, I can trim the bar down or elongate the hole.

So the guy that built a handlebar knows more about motorcycle physics than an actual motorcycle manufacturer that spends millions on engineering? Okay... but back in reality, the bar weight is important because it stops excess vibrations from transferring into you, as a person, helping avoid injuries to your bones and joints and keeping you riding long term. They're there for a reason. If you wanna cut your lifetime of fun motorcycling down feel free to leave that off. 😅

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I must not have worded my post clearly, or I'm a [email protected] is a total possibility. On the clutch side of the new KST handlebars, the bar weight fits fine. The grip fits fine, directly up to the switch housing. The switch housing clamshell fits right where it's supposed to. The clamp that holds the clutch itself, onto the bar, does not sit flush. It appears the the bar circumference iof the bar in this area is too big for the clutch and bracket to meet evenly when the allenscrews are installed. There is a gap of about 1/8-3/16" between the clutch and the bracket. I even tried swwapping the clamp bracket from the brake side to see if I had mixed them up somehow.....no dice. I'm considering grinding out some of the inner portion of the clutck bracket and clamp to try to make it fit. Any ideas???

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are you saying shave out the hole "notch" where the switch housing fits into, or the end of the bar, or the end of the weight??? I'm a Marine and not too bright, sometimes😬

·
Registered
432 Posts
Are you saying shave out the hole "notch" where the switch housing fits into, or the end of the bar, or the end of the weight??? I'm a Marine and not too bright, sometimes😬
Okay hold up. We're talking about 2 different things. Some of us have had the alignment hole NOT aligned properly, seemed like that's what you were talking about. Now it seems what you're describing is there is a gap between the two half moon shaped bar clamps right? The part that tightens the lever to the bar. Yes, the gap is fine, nothing you can do about it. Tighten both screws evenly until you have it torqued to factory specs and you will be good.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Oh a Marine huh, hope that helped brother! I was Airborne infantry in the army, spent most of my time in the 101st.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To me it seems that enlarging the hole in the bar may help. It just seems that the width of the handlebar does not allow the clutch and clutch-clamp to fit correctly Because of the width of the bar at that point……it’s not tapered down enough . Perhaps by grinding the hole in the bar (where the switch housing fits) to the left, will allow me to move the switch housing to the left, thus allowing the clutch clamp to move to the left and allowing the clutch to “clamp” correctly.

·
Registered
423 Posts
To me it seems that enlarging the hole in the bar may help. It just seems that the width of the handlebar does not allow the clutch and clutch-clamp to fit correctly Because of the width of the bar at that point……it’s not tapered down enough . Perhaps by grinding the hole in the bar (where the switch housing fits) to the left, will allow me to move the switch housing to the left, thus allowing the clutch clamp to move to the left and allowing the clutch to “clamp” correctly.
Shave a little off of the inside of the clamp halves. You don't need to take much. Start the bottom screw, torque the top screw, torque the bottom screw. The gap will be on the bottom and not visible. No problem.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Lol that's what I told you the first time😂 But the clamp still don't fit all the way. The Comanche bars are a bigger diameter than stock.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lol that's what I told you the first time😂 But the clamp still don't fit all the way. The Comanche bars are a bigger diameter than stock.
Guess I didn't understand your Army jargon......I only understand grunts and pointing😂😂

• Haha
Reactions: sleepingweasal

·
Registered
133 Posts
Yeah, a few of us. It seems the weight doesn't allow it to fit. But I'm telling you man. You can't even notice one way or another

I just threw on a set of the DirtyBird handlebars on my bike. I could not get the clutch side grip / clamp to fit due to the weight that goes inside the bar. Is this really (really?) necessary? I took the weight out and everything fit (its just ⅛" off)....should i cut the end of the bar or roll with no weight?
Thanks

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK. So it's been established I'm no rocket surgeon, but I guess I just don't see how the handlebar weight affects the brake side clamp not fitting. here's the brake lever clamp, and you can see there is no gap:

Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design Automotive exterior Automotive tire

and heres the clutch lever side:

Car Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

The handlebar weight doesn't even go into the bar as far as the switch housing, so how would that make a difference. Also, why would one side fit and not the other???
I guess I'm being too anal (not an @sshole) about how these clamps should fit on the bar, but other than grinding out some of the inside of the clamp, I can't see any other way to make the clamps fit flush against the bar.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Just do them so the gap is on the bottom, then forget about it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yep….probably right….

·
Registered
432 Posts
OK. So it's been established I'm no rocket surgeon, but I guess I just don't see how the handlebar weight affects the brake side clamp not fitting. here's the brake lever clamp, and you can see there is no gap:

View attachment 667843

and heres the clutch lever side:

View attachment 667844

The handlebar weight doesn't even go into the bar as far as the switch housing, so how would that make a difference. Also, why would one side fit and not the other???
I guess I'm being too anal (not an @sshole) about how these clamps should fit on the bar, but other than grinding out some of the inside of the clamp, I can't see any other way to make the clamps fit flush against the bar.
Like I said, you cannot always get rid of the gap. These bars are thicker than stock, and aftermarket, not perfect. Just tighten the clamp bolts to spec and you'll be good.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts