Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some kst handlebars I'm looking to install. Does anyone have any knowledge of the cost to have those installed at a dealer? Or should I just do it myself? I've done handlebars on my old cross country but that wasn't near as expensive of a bike and makes me a little more nervous to tear apart..

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hey there,

Installed the KST Apache Bars (+6") myself on my 2019 Chieftain. Isn´t that difficult. Only tricky thing is to get the connectors thru the bar on the throttle side. Brake line and clutch cable are long enough but you will have to run them a little bit different.

Took me about 5 hours from start to end.

I can recommand the change, more comfort and better look!

Regrads Markus

IMG_20190913_182233.jpg IMG_20190913_182011.jpg
IMG_20191110_103755.jpg

·
Registered
222 Posts
I asked my dealer about the install, as I am looking at the same bars for my Roadmaster, and I was told $300.00 in labor.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I asked my dealer about the install, as I am looking at the same bars for my Roadmaster, and I was told $300.00 in labor.
My dealer quoted a handlebar installation at 3 hours of labor, which, at my dealer’s shop rate of $110 per hour, would come in at $330 before tax.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I did it myself as well...not hard at all...just time consuming...put the heated grips on as well...plug and play...save urself the money...and with the money u save u can buy more stuff to install...lol...

·
Registered
184 Posts
I did it myself as well...not hard at all...just time consuming...put the heated grips on as well...plug and play...save urself the money...and with the money u save u can buy more stuff to install...lol...

IMG_20190831_143041.jpg
IMG_20190831_102735.jpg
IMG_20190831_113246.jpg
IMG_20190902_103717.jpg

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I'm just gonna do it myself... It's a long winter here and I should have plenty of time..

Thanks everybody!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All the bikes on this thread are sick..

Really love that black dark horse!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey there,

Installed the KST Apache Bars (+6") myself on my 2019 Chieftain. Isn´t that difficult. Only tricky thing is to get the connectors thru the bar on the throttle side. Brake line and clutch cable are long enough but you will have to run them a little bit different.

Regrads Markus

How are you doing? Can you give any insight as to what you did to run the wires? I'm in the middle of the installing the same bars and its really kicking my butt.
Thanks
Al

·
Registered
184 Posts
i dropped a small piece of chain to pull the first set of wires thru then the same on the other side...attatching the wires with electrical tape securely and pull them thru very slowly...u can pick up the chain plastic or metal up at Home Depot...i have a set of 16" apes on my other Indian and that wurked perfectly with them...ive had apes on all my bikes and that method wurked the best...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey there,

Regrads Markus

View attachment 542762 View attachment 542764
View attachment 542766
Do the KST bars obstruct the view of your speedometer and tachometer?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I installed mine myself and it was time-consuming. I used some rope the size of shoelaces, worked really well. Something I learn is to stagger the plugs so it is not so wide going through the bars. Somebody suggested applying to WD-40 but I found that it is a hot mess when trying to get the tape off so I didn't do that on the clutch side. It takes time but very doable.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I’m going to do the Apache bars on my 2019 soon too. Can you access all the wire connections right from behind the headlight or do I need to open up the fairing?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I think it should work without removing the fairing. There is just one big plug that connects all the handlebar wiring to the wiring of the bike.
Try it first to get the cables/handlebar just when having removed the headlight, will save a lot of time!

Good luck, you will not regret the change to KST bars!

Regards Markus

1 - 20 of 64 Posts