Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to buy KST 14" bars for my challenger with heated grips

I noticed on their website that they have extension cables for heated grips and a wire extension harnesses as well.

Question- Do I need them? I have heard that stock length cables work for these, but what about the wiring?

Thanks

Ensign

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,230 Posts
From what I've seen, the Indian heated grips plug into the switch blocks so length of bars doesnt matter.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the verification- I ordered the bars tonight- I am really looking forward to putting them on.

·
Bronze member
2,628 Posts
I saw KST installing bars on Challengers at Bike Week and they were using stock cables and wiring. There is also a KST install video on YouTube...they used stock wiring and cables too.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Question- How many hours do you think a dealership should charge to install the bars (knowing that stock cables and wiring can be reused) I was quoted 4 1/2 hours @ $100/hr

Looks like I will be doing them one Saturday myself. I am technically able to do the work, but what a pain...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Installed mine myself. Maybe 2 hours total. Fishing the throttle side wires are a PIA. Everything else fairly easy. Good install videos available as well.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,230 Posts
There's a couple videos out there that give tricks on how to do it. One I saw was attaching a string and using a vacuum to suck the string through the opening and then pulling the string and cable through. They did the whole replacement in less than an hour.

Reactions: Ensign Pulver

·
Bronze member
2,628 Posts
Question- How many hours do you think a dealership should charge to install the bars (knowing that stock cables and wiring can be reused) I was quoted 4 1/2 hours @ $100/hr

Looks like I will be doing them one Saturday myself. I am technically able to do the work, but what a pain...
KST was doing it in about 2 hrs, maybe less. For your first time, I’d say you could do it in under 3 hrs. 4 1/2 hrs seems a little long if a novice can do it in 3.

·
Registered
48 Posts

I did mine in about 3 hours and this was the first bar install I have ever done so I took my time and made sure everything was right. I am an aircraft mechanic though, not sure how mechanically inclined you are. The hardest part was feeding the wires through the throttle side. It has 3 or 4 connectors (can't remember). I tried a couple times and they kept getting caught in the "meat hook" part of the bend. I ended up tying 2 together with the end of the string I fed through, and bending the other one(s) back and tying them against the harness with another piece of string. Also, in the KST install video he takes an air nozzle and blows the string through to help feed the wires. I was super skeptical about it working, but it worked like a charm! Just start to feed the string into the hole, hold the other end, and spray the air out the side you're trying to feed it. It shoots right out the other end! It also helps to have a long extension or 2 to get to the bolts on the handlebar mounts. I think I ended up using a 1/2" drive ratchet with a couple 12" extensions. Not necessary, but made life easier.

The bars are amazing and I'm loving them! I was having issues with my upper back hurting because the bars were low and I would find myself slumping while riding. I'm only 6' tall but they felt way low. With the KST bars the grips are right at shoulder height. I've ridden 500+ miles in a day with them and had no back issues. Let me know if you have any questions about the install.

·
Registered
48 Posts
KST was doing it in about 2 hrs, maybe less. For your first time, I’d say you could do it in under 3 hrs. 4 1/2 hrs seems a little long if a novice can do it in 3.
Dealerships don't go off how long it takes the mechanic. They have set prices based on labor rates and labor times stated in a maintenance manual. For handlebar replacement it probably says 4.5 hours, so that's what you pay even if it only takes them 2 hours.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've had my eye on these bars for a while. Do you feel you need to reach with the KST's?? I had the dealership install the Indian Mid-Rise bars on mine and honestly can't make up my mind on them. I'm 6'3" with a fairly long reach and I feel like my shoulders are rolled forward to reach the bars. I have very bad shoulders and a bad back and ride apes on my other bike....no roll or shoulder issues. I'd be interested to know if there's anyone experienced with the Mid-Rise AND the KST bars?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've had my eye on these bars for a while. Do you feel you need to reach with the KST's?? I had the dealership install the Indian Mid-Rise bars on mine and honestly can't make up my mind on them. I'm 6'3" with a fairly long reach and I feel like my shoulders are rolled forward to reach the bars. I have very bad shoulders and a bad back and ride apes on my other bike....no roll or shoulder issues. I'd be interested to know if there's anyone experienced with the Mid-Rise AND the KST bars?
I don't have experience with the factory mid rise, but the reach on the KST bars are perfect. I felt the same shoulder issue you described with the stock bars. I am 6'. With the KSTs the grips are shoulder height and I have a slight bend in my arms.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I had the mid-rise on my Roadmaster and they were perfect so went the same route with the Challenger and they just dont feel right. I feel like they need to be slightly closer to me so reaching too far for my liking. Are the KST taller or is the just the additional pullback that makes the better? I have not had access to a bike with the KST bars but have heard the labor charge is ugly

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had the mid-rise on my Roadmaster and they were perfect so went the same route with the Challenger and they just dont feel right. I feel like they need to be slightly closer to me so reaching too far for my liking. Are the KST taller or is the just the additional pullback that makes the better? I have not had access to a bike with the KST bars but have heard the labor charge is ugly
Out of curiosity, how tall are you? I'm 6'3 with about a 32" inseam.....long torso and what I consider a long reach but maybe not.

·
Registered
460 Posts
6'3 and 34" inseam. I keep pulling the bars back towards me which helped but still not perfect. Seat is likely part of problem too. The Indian bars are fairly straight across

·
Registered
18 Posts
6'3 and 34" inseam. I keep pulling the bars back towards me which helped but still not perfect. Seat is likely part of problem too. The Indian bars are fairly straight across
Agreed. They feel awkward to me.

I'll put some miles on after the 1st service and decide but I'm pretty sure I'll switch 'em out. For what, is the real question. Pretty limited selection at the moment. I was in the shop the other day and the tech was installing some Torch bars on another customers Challenger.....he was not pleased!! Had to drill holes or something to that effect to make them work. I'm on the fence about the KST's. Hopefully more options will come around soon.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts