Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had a knock sensor error showing on my 2018 Chieftain limited. The bike was running like crap. It was in the retard mode, which is a good thing, so as to not damage the engine. I just got the report back from the dealership. The knock sensor wire had melted onto the cylinder head. Obviously this is a horrible location for a wire, near an extrem heat source. Waiting for the new part, will keep you all posted.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for posting, are there knock sensors on all the 111 models?
Yes I believe so, the dealership mentioned several other 2018 models that have had the same issue. Not all had melted the wire, but once the sensor is tripped it has to be rest by the dealer.

·
Bronze member
3,160 Posts
with the prices they charge for stuff, what did they charge you for that?did you ride it in or trailer it?sorry for all the questions but they charged me 250 bucks to change my oil when i was on the road,couldnt believe it.

·
Bronze member
3,160 Posts
not knocking indian dealers,went by a honda dealer looking to get a better price on a tube,no luck they are all expensive.hate online waiting for parts.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
with the prices they charge for stuff, what did they charge you for that?did you ride it in or trailer it?sorry for all the questions but they charged me 250 bucks to change my oil when i was on the road,couldnt believe it.
I road the bike in, everything else was covered by the warranty. But like you said everything is expensive. When I took the bike back to the dealership for its 500 mile service, they charged me $230 I was like wow! Next time I’ll do it myself.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Looks like this is a design flaw that still hasn't been addressed, which is a little disappointing.

My wife and I just got back from our first over-nighter on our 2018 Roadmaster. We got stuck in traffic between Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg. This being my first air/oil cooled motorcycle of note, I didn't have a good feel for what the engine could take heat-wise. The check engine light came on while in the traffic, so I pulled over at the next opportunity, suspecting that it was trying to tell me that the engine was overheating or something. Instead, it was the knock sensor low voltage code. I let the bike cool down for about 15 minutes, and tried to restart, but no dice. I figure it must have been a little vapor locked at this point. Another 10 minutes of cool down and it fired up fine, but the code was still there and the throttle response was definitely weak (which I later learned was because the ECU retarded the timing to protect against knock-induced damage).

The next morning, after the bike cooled off, the code was still there. We proceeded to a dealer in Waynesville, NC, where we had to wait our turn for 2.5 hrs for them to look at the bike. They found the front cylinder's knock sensor had laid against the cylinder cooling fin and melted through the insulation, shorting the wire against the cylinder, which threw the code. They didn't have a replacement part on hand, so they zip tied it up to prevent further contact/shorting against the engine and all has been fine since then.

I'll be scheduling an appointment with my local dealer to get a proper fix, and making sure I approve the results before they button the bike back up.

-SR-

1 - 7 of 7 Posts