Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone seen knee/tank pads on a Scout? The first day I had my Scout 60 the paint on the side of the tank got scuffed - I can only assume it was because of my knee pressing against it while navigating slippery, twisty roads. I'd like to protect the tank, and wonder if a classic looking black knee/tank pad might look better than one of those bits of transparent plastic that some use.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,054 Posts
Has anyone seen knee/tank pads on a Scout? The first day I had my Scout 60 the paint on the side of the tank got scuffed - I can only assume it was because of my knee pressing against it while navigating slippery, twisty roads. I'd like to protect the tank, and wonder if a classic looking black knee/tank pad might look better than one of those bits of transparent plastic that some use.
Must be a Brit thing, they've always used 'em. I don't see any reason you couldn't use weather-striping cement to attach tank pads if you wished. There are a variety of sizes and shapes available on the Brit bike restoration market.
--- Randall

·
Registered
127 Posts
Black textured Rubber Knee Pads, peel and stick, removable. Custom made for many brand bikes, if not for scout can cut your own.

·
Distinguished Founding Member
5,337 Posts
OsceolaT.jpg
With what I have on my Tank Sides don't think would work well for me ..

OsceolaT.jpg

·
Registered
426 Posts
Black textured Rubber Knee Pads, peel and stick, removable. Custom made for many brand bikes, if not for scout can cut your own.
This stuff is made by TechSpec.... Very high quality product.... It comes in 3 different thicknesses, depending on need.... You can get it pre-cut for many bikes, OR you can buy it in sheets and form your own.... I used the High Fusion (thinnest to protect paint) on my Victory to protect the tank corners at the seat.... VERY happy with the results.... Looks stock....

·
Registered
310 Posts
Do you really always keep your legs so close to the tank? I never seem to touch them at all. There is always an inch or two gap between those all the time....but then again I'm short , 5 ft 6 inch.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do you really always keep your legs so close to the tank? I never seem to touch them at all. There is always an inch or two gap between those all the time....but then again I'm short , 5 ft 6 inch.
If I'm just cruising down the highway my knees rarely touch the tank. But, whenever I'm on slippery twisty roads, and we have a lot of those in the UK, I find that I'm gripping the tank with my knees before I realise I'm doing it. When I saw how easily the paint on this bike is damaged, I tried to stop doing it, but when the road conditions are demanding I find it happens instinctively, albeit I was taught to do it years ago as a safe riding technique. I'm 6' if that makes a difference. The only bike I didn't grip in this way was the Guzzi California, but that had a much narrower tank and footboards, which seemed to make a difference.

·
Registered
19 Posts
There is clear contact that you can get ,should be able to get off ebay. You cut it to the shape desired and stick it on just like the carbon ones. It's reasonably thick and completely clear so it doesn't look like anything from a distance. It's saved my paint as I had the same problem with my jeans rubbing from the fold near my knee. It's dirt cheap too.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I will see if I can take a photo when I'm at m.c.a sydney, I got it from the shop. But I've seen it on ebay just can't remember the name. Sorry dude.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks. That's very helpful. I'm torn between clear ones that try to be invisible, and black ones that make a feature of being visible. When once I've decided which way to jump and fitted them, I'll aim to post pictures. I'm surprised that this doesn't seem to have been an issue for more people.

·
Registered
19 Posts
This stuff worked well for me I put some on and removed it. The glue did not seem to harm the paint but please test it for yourself mate. Didn't seem like the glue had any bad effect on removal and mines been on for a while now. But the Polish does get stuck it the lip though. Can't have it all lol. I got the clear version of course.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks. That's very helpful. I'm torn between clear ones that try to be invisible, and black ones that make a feature of being visible. When once I've decided which way to jump and fitted them, I'll aim to post pictures. I'm surprised that this doesn't seem to have been an issue for more people.
Yeah true. I suppose we can keep em from getting love marks sometimes and no one likes to hurt their babies.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, although not as bad as on my original tank, slight scuff marks are now appearing even on my new tank. So I finally fitted the gripper knee pads I got in stock. I'm not wild on the look, but I think they're sufficiently in keeping with the classic style of the bike, and I do like not having to worry about my knees touching the tank. Tank pads (1).JPG Tank pads (2).JPG Tank pads (3).JPG Tank pads (4).JPG

·
Registered
239 Posts
I had a local company completely cover all painted surfaces on my scout to protect from this.

·
Senior member / gold
6,220 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Reactions: ScoutRider86
1 - 20 of 36 Posts