Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For several weeks I have been working on a project to install dual exhausts on my 2010 KM Chief. I did not install fishtails, I was cheap and bought the conventional pipes from ebay. They were finally installed last weekend. Delays were mostly due to not having enough time and having to figure out how they actually fit. The instructions from Freedom were um... limited. I think I removed and re-installed each side at least three times when I would notice I missed a step.

The bike sounds MUCH better and breathes much better. While some people may be happy with the factory exhaust, actually, the overall factory performance of these bikes, I wasn't. I don't need a hot rod, but it felt like the bike was choked for air.

In addition to installing the dual pipes, I also modified the A/C by adding a larger KN filter using longer mounting bolts. Nothing fancy, but more air.

After researching the problem I found that Dobeck was the only company offering a fuel tuner. The bike needed something. Again, not for acceleration but to help with the lurching at cruising speeds. Anywhere around 2,000 rpm the motor lurches, which can be annoying at best.

So, having completed the project I got my first test ride yesterday afternoon. Wow! What a difference. It has plenty of roar and that kind of "you better be hanging on" acceleration. Glad I have a solo grab rail. It kept me in the saddle. The lurch is almost gone. Once I completed my 40 mile lap I did some more internet research and discovered some recommended settings for the EJK. I did a seat of the pants tune which needs some tweaking nearer to the recommended numbers from Dobeck.

Thanks to @enzo5000 for a detailed post on the Dobeck back in 2015. It helped a lot!

Have any of you other KM owners done any tinkering?

·
Premium Member
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Continuation --
Today I clocked about 100 miles on the KM. Boy! What a difference exhausts, intake and a fuel tuner make. The lurching at 2000 rpms is gone. I am getting some pops and backfires on deceleration. The torque and power at high speeds is incredible. The bike lopes along at 75 like it is nothing. Roll on the the throttle and you can be at 90 in a blink. But, I get a wobble at just over 85 so I decided 80 was fast enough and my record can't stand any trophies.

Does anyone out there have experience with the Dobeck EJK tuner? Pointers for working out the popping and backfires on deceleration?

·
Premium Member
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FWIW --- I just got off the phone with Dobeck tech support.
Recommended settings for the EJK tuner on a KM bike are as follows -- which is my current settings.
Green 0.5
Yellow 2.5
Red 2.5
Green/Blue 0.5
Yellow-Blue 4.0
Red/Blue 4.5

After describing the issue of popping and backfires to the tech, he suggested changing the Green settings from 0.5 upward in 0.5 increments to maximum of 3.0 until the popping stops.
The phone call was less than 4 minutes including hold time. Nice people which seem to know their stuff.

A Dobeck isn't a Dynojet tuner, but for old school things it may be all you get.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts