Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried the Klock Werks Flare Wings lowers? I have the IndianAftermarket windshield frame and it looks like the Flare Wings might work with that frame. I am currently running a Dart Marlin since my Freedom windshield makes my Scout a little hard to handle at speeds above 65mph and then there is the buffeting issue. On my other bikes where I have had lowers, I was able to eliminate the head buffeting and I am looking to achieve the same with my Scout.

I was hoping IndianAftermarket was going to come out with lowers that work with their windshield frame, but that has not happened yet. Just looking to see if anyone has experience with the Klock Werks lowers.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I wonder the same thing.
I just looked them up, and they are up to $169!!
Who's smoking what over there? Geez....2 little pieces of Plexi and a couple brackets. Crazy.

My wife is interested in them, but I will not spend $169 for an experiment!

·
Bronze member
2,011 Posts
Clearview Shields manufactures lowers as well that are stand alone and have an independent mount
I forget what I paid for mine but it looks like the price has gone up on those.
I thought they were 109 119 or maybe even $129, currently says $137 for the dark tint.

Someone else put on Memphis Shades lowers. Checking the price of those and it would be about $82(plexi+hardware).
Here’s a link to the message with pictures on their Scout.

Reactions: jjhemphill

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I forget what I paid for mine but it looks like the price has gone up on those.
I thought they were 109 119 or maybe even $129, currently says $137 for the dark tint.

Someone else put on Memphis Shades lowers. Checking the price of those and it would be about $82(plexi+hardware).
Here’s a link to the message with pictures on their Scout.
Thanks for the info.
We were looking at less obtrusive options....those look huge. Maybe they can be made smaller.
Much better price!

·
Bronze member
2,011 Posts
less obtrusive options
My first thought about the Clearview Shields lowers was that the brackets were bulky.
After a while I hardly noticed they were there.
I have them below the turn signals because I moved those up between the windshield mounts and the lowers.

Probably matters more if you eliminate the OEM signals to use something else (smaller).
Neither the CVS nor Klockwerks looks large to me anyhow.

I see that the Klock Werks lowers are directly behind the signals the same way CVS shows them. Same forward curve too.

I think they are better having them down more. I had them directly below the lower triple tree at first, then above the signals, and finally just above the lower triple tree.

·
Registered
438 Posts
My first thought about the Clearview Shields lowers was that the brackets were bulky.
I have them below the turn signals because I moved those up between the windshield mounts and the lowers.

Probably matters more if you eliminate the OEM signals to use something else (smaller).

I see that the Klock Werks lowers are directly behind the signals the same way CVS shows them. Same forward curve too.

I think they are better having them down more. I had them directly below the lower triple tree at first, then above the signals, and finally just above the lower triple tree.
How much difference did it make for you at highway speeds?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,415 Posts

Thanks for the location tips.
Do you feel less wobbling from the windshield? Better stability?

·
Bronze member
2,011 Posts
How much difference did it make for you at highway speeds?
Definite improvement. Well at least I believe it was. Sometimes I second-guess myself, however I’m fairly positive my helmet was not being knocked around as much with the lowers added.

One of the things I saw happen or change was rather interesting. In a rain, prior to getting the lowers, one time I noticed water droplets literally floating in mid air between me and the windshield.
I haven’t seen that happen since adding the lowers, which I believe is because they help move the air instead of letting a negative (or positive? Whatever.) pressure zone exist.
Ergo, constant airflow so less turbulence is my thinking.

As to a wobble fix… That’s a possibility too.
My Scout was always feeling shaky at the front end on the freeway.
I attributed that to the original Kenda tires or in combination with the 22” OEM windshield. And maybe the 21” Freedom windshield.

The change to Michelin Commander 2 tires was no doubt some help but I still wavered while among the big rigs on the road.
Been a long time now with the lowers (and CVS 17” Sport windshield) and those tires. Seems very stable unless there’s 15+ mph crosswinds.

I know I don’t feel like I’m fighting with the Scout anymore. It was bad in the beginning.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Definite improvement. Well at least I believe it was. Sometimes I second-guess myself, however I’m fairly positive my helmet was not being knocked around as much with the lowers added.

One of the things I saw happen or change was rather interesting. In a rain, prior to getting the lowers, one time I noticed water droplets literally floating in mid air between me and the windshield.
I haven’t seen that happen since adding the lowers, which I believe is because they help move the air instead of letting a negative (or positive? Whatever.) pressure zone exist.
Ergo, constant airflow so less turbulence is my thinking.

As to a wobble fix… That’s a possibility too.
My Scout was always feeling shaky at the front end on the freeway.
I attributed that to the original Kenda tires or in combination with the 22” OEM windshield. And maybe the 21” Freedom windshield.

The change to Michelin Commander 2 tires was no doubt some help but I still wavered while among the big rigs on the road.
Been a long time now with the lowers (and CVS 17” Sport windshield) and those tires. Seems very stable unless there’s 15+ mph crosswinds.

I know I don’t feel like I’m fighting with the Scout anymore. It was bad in the beginning.
Thanks, I really appreciate that info.

MY Scout has a bullet fairing which leaves my head in smooth clean air and takes all pressure off my torso. Rock solid and smooth up to crazy speeds. Comfortable at 75.

My wife has the 21" shield. We switched bikes for fun, and I was amazed at how unstable the bike felt in comparison as the windshield acted on the front end. We both have brand new tires and were driving on gorgeous roads with light winds.

She is much better off when caught in rain (or bugs!) But I'd like to help that negative pressure zone and get her feeling more comfortable on the highway. We have some long ride plans in the works.

Thanks a lot.

·
Bronze member
2,011 Posts
She is much better off when caught in rain (or bugs!)
Same for me! Think everybody would. Used one ever since I was 30 years old.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts