Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The kickstand on my 2014 Vintage just broke the top flange tab off the kickstand itself and planted the bike over on it's side with me under it. Still had my foot pushing it out when over we went. Had not felt any looseness in it before. Evidently the bolt is screw up through the bottom of the frame and the nut on top, so if the nut works loose the bolt will fall out or snap it off at the shoulder of the bolt. On mine the bolt snapped off at the shoulder.
Got to think this is a warranty of a metal defect ???
2014 Indian CHIEF CLASSIC/CHIEF VINTAGE/CHIEFTAIN ALL OPTIONS (N14CCC/CCV/TCA) Chassis, Side Stand All Options | Pro Caliber
$190 part, with a $22 spring and a #7 bolt..... Wonder if someone out there makes a better one.
Interestingly, the flasher lights came on - and there was no way to turn them off - until we got the bike upright. Might as well wear out the battery while we were at it.......

Attachments

·
Bronze member
2,022 Posts
The kickstand on my 2014 Vintage just broke the top flange tab off the kickstand itself and planted the bike over on it's side with me under it. Still had my foot pushing it out when over we went. Had not felt any looseness in it before. Evidently the bolt is screw up through the bottom of the frame and the nut on top, so if the nut works loose the bolt will fall out or snap it off at the shoulder of the bolt. On mine the bolt snapped off at the shoulder.
Got to think this is a warranty of a metal defect ???
2014 Indian CHIEF CLASSIC/CHIEF VINTAGE/CHIEFTAIN ALL OPTIONS (N14CCC/CCV/TCA) Chassis, Side Stand All Options | Pro Caliber
$190 part, with a $22 spring and a #7 bolt..... Wonder if someone out there makes a better one.
Interestingly, the flasher lights came on - and there was no way to turn them off - until we got the bike upright. Might as well wear out the battery while we were at it.......
thats scary, will check mine. so did the bolt break??

·
Banned
2,947 Posts
I have read several accounts of stands breaking in the past week or so. The others were related to the stand itself breaking near where it attaches to bike, not of the bolt breaking. None the less, it sounds like a serious safety issue that should be getting some attention from the MOCO. I would suggest you notify them and any others that encounter a similar problem do the same. I'd hate to hear of some child being injured or killed because a stand broke while they were just looking at a bike parked somewhere.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Whatever happened, that's some bullshit right there! Did the actual stand break too or just the bolt? Obviously it wasn't grade 8, which is pretty damn dumb on a 900# machine. I don't see how they can deny warranty on this one. Another thing to be paranoid about I suppose. The flashers are a "safety" thing, I call it a body recovery tool.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Looking at the photos, the notch cut in the kick stand has sharp inside corners providing a place for the metal to start cracking under stress. It should have a radius in the corners for strength. Did you get that Polaris?

·
Founding member / distinguished
2,763 Posts
This was first noticed about a year ago.
People need to keep an eye on their side stands. The two broken stands that I saw had the top side of the mount break. The bottom was still holding the bike, but I doubted that they were going to last for very. Much longer once discovered.
That's probably what happened here. One half of the mounting area probably broke and eventually, the other half and bolt broke due to the excessive pressure.
I check my stand about once a week. So far, so good.

·
Gold member
6,449 Posts
Bummer for you pal, that sucks! Any upper damage? Hope it goes well from here on! I wonder if it's an isolated incident???

·
Banned
2,947 Posts
I am picking up my new bike today and I ordered Wheeldock that is supposed to arrive today as well. I think I will use the Wheeldock exclusively for parking in my garage to lessen the chance of my bike falling into my workbench or one of my shelving units. I can just imagine going into the garage to find one of my 8 foot tall shelving units laying on my wife's car after being knocked over by my bike when the stand broke. :mad:

·
Banned
7,192 Posts
Look for center stands people! Don't get paranoid yet as it sounds like an isolated situation. Your wife's car is insured as is your bike. What the hell is her car doing in a man cave........
Chances are the stand was designed with a small radius.
(All will fail in time)

That, or quality control was sleeping...

·
Banned
2,947 Posts
Look for center stands people! Don't get paranoid yet as it sounds like an isolated situation. Your wife's car is insured as is your bike. What the hell is her car doing in a man cave........
What the hell makes you think her car is in my man cave? Only rich guys have a man cave. The only thing separating my bike from her car is a big ass shelving unit. Obviously one of many things you and I don't have in common is how we look at insurance. I have it but by no means do I want to ever, and I do mean ever, want to use it.

As far as being paranoid, I'm probably about the most undiagnosed paranoid son of biatch you could ever come across. :p

And by the way, center stands are for Honda's and such.

·
Gold member
6,449 Posts
Chances are the stand was designed with a small radius.
(All will fail in time)

That, or quality control was sleeping...
I have to agree! My bud just bought a center stand for his WideGlide and it gets up and down real easy. Their not cheap either, when a guy changes their shocks the center stand needs to be replaced. So do shocks first.

·
Gold member
6,449 Posts
What the hell makes you think her car is in my man cave? Only rich guys have a man cave. The only thing separating my bike from her car is a big ass shelving unit. Obviously one of many things you and I don't have in common is how we look at insurance. I have it but by no means do I want to ever, and I do mean ever, want to use it.

As far as being paranoid, I'm probably about the most undiagnosed paranoid son of biatch you could ever come across. :p

And by the way, center stands are for Honda's and such.
You make no sense, reread your post dude!Can you please supply the information that you read about this happening a lot. I'd like to read that. Also I realise now I mention the wrong type of cave.

·
Founding member / distinguished
2,763 Posts
I am picking up my new bike today and I ordered Wheeldock that is supposed to arrive today as well. I think I will use the Wheeldock exclusively for parking in my garage to lessen the chance of my bike falling into my workbench or one of my shelving units. I can just imagine going into the garage to find one of my 8 foot tall shelving units laying on my wife's car after being knocked over by my bike when the stand broke. :mad:
I use my Wheeldock for parking at home. Anytime I decide to work on the bike, it's already in position.

·
Registered
412 Posts
@thumper, I've got your back on using the Wheeldock for parking in the garage. I've used that chock since almost day one with my RM and as a result I live worry free when it comes to it being parked at home. I've read about 8 to 10 cases now were the kickstand has failed in one way or another which leads me to wonder if Indian is looking into the matter of there possibly being a design or fabrication flaw issue. I guess time will tell. If in fact there is a legitimate kickstand problem I would hope that Polaris would respond in a proactive manner and get a fix out before lots of folks have failure and resulting damage problems.

Sorry for the quick hijack but on another short note thumper, glad to hear the big day has finally arrived. If I recall correctly it seems like one or two other forum members were talking about going to go with you to pick up your new bike. Hope you enjoy the hell out of the new ride and all goes well.

Reactions: thumper

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
Looking at the photos, the notch cut in the kick stand has sharp inside corners providing a place for the metal to start cracking under stress. It should have a radius in the corners for strength. Did you get that Polaris?
I agree, appears to be fabricated and weld broke and not a casting where radius would have been suggested and incorporated.

·
Banned
2,947 Posts
Thanks Rebel Roy. I think it should go fine. I did a 2,500 mile road trip in the cage with OL recently and although it was tough on the new knee, I survived. Being on a bike where I can actually move and stretch my leg should be no problem. If I do have a problem, the guy that is taking me in his cage can always ride it home for me. He says no way but I can be pretty persuasive if I need to be. Although it was a long time ago and I was much more capable of living up to it then, I was given the name Thumper for a reason.

Reactions: Rebel Roy

·
Banned
2,947 Posts
You make no sense, reread your post dude!Can you please supply the information that you read about this happening a lot. I'd like to read that. Also I realise now I mention the wrong type of cave.
Give me some time and I'll see if I can find the posts I refereed to.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts