Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hoping there really wasn't an issue with the kickstand. After some inspection in the garage and stability tests, I'm convinced they botched this. Has anyone modified the assembly to allow for a few extra degrees forward with the stand extended? It wouldn't take much to instill confidence when parked.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I noticed that in the show room. The kickstand is a little far back so you have to be careful if your bike is parked on a decline.

·
Founding member / platinum
10,006 Posts
I was hoping there really wasn't an issue with the kickstand. After some inspection in the garage and stability tests, I'm convinced they botched this. Has anyone modified the assembly to allow for a few extra degrees forward with the stand extended? It wouldn't take much to instill confidence when parked.
I'm supposed to pickup some kickstand parts Wednesday and have already decided to grind out some of the metal on the inside of the swivel part of the kickstand to make it set a little more into the saddle. This should give a little bit more of a triangulation and make the kickstand a little more stable.
I will report upon completion about any success.... or otherwise Ooopsie! :oops:

In the mean time keep parking it uphill and in gear and use your kill switch to stop engine while still in gear, otherwise you damned sure can't shut the engine off with the key on the left hand side while your left hand is on the clutch! :eek:

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Yeah ... Will get used to parking the Scout in 1st gear.

·
10,006 Posts
Small update on my kickstand part...
I got both the bolts and the kickstand switch late this afternoon and have just briefly looked at the parts.
Really looking forward to having the bike ignition shut off when in gear and kickstand is employed! :D

I also got the bag spools today and they are monstrous and heavy.
But mine DID come with full instructions. :cool:

I have heard on this forum that some did not come with instructions. :mad:

Seems real straight forward and hard to mess up, o_O but if anyone needs the instructions I will post a scan of mine.

004.JPG 005.JPG

My garage is unheated and it is bitter cold for the next several days, so it may be a couple of days before the install on the kickstand switch. :(

·
Registered
326 Posts
Hey Ronnie, can you post the part no. for the switch? Thanks.

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
Had to put an Aeromach Kickstand Extension on my Chieftain, made it easier to get to safely.

KS ext.jpg

·
Registered
272 Posts
Small update on my kickstand part...
I got both the bolts and the kickstand switch late this afternoon and have just briefly looked at the parts.
Really looking forward to having the bike ignition shut off when in gear and kickstand is employed! :D
,,,.sounds great,and looking to do the same,,,
have you found where it plugs in to the scouts wiring system?
I see the two empty threaded holes where it will mount,,,but not the matching wire connector.

Carry on.

·
10,006 Posts
,,,.sounds great,and looking to do the same,,,
have you found where it plugs in to the scouts wiring system?
I see the two empty threaded holes where it will mount,,,but not the matching wire connector.

Carry on.
I'm very sad to report that they cannot be plugged into our American wiring harness.
I was told that I could buy the European wiring harness for the small sum of $800.00~ + install! :eek::eek::eek:'

In fact I actually returned it today for a refund!
Very disappointed!:(

I could have cut into the loom and hardwired the switch but thought better of it. It is just a simple off/on on one lead of the ignition!
Would have worked, but didn't want to spend a bunch of time running down the schematics for a good place to tie in.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I'm very sad to report that they cannot be plugged into our American wiring harness.
I was told that I could buy the European wiring harness for the small sum of $800.00~ + install! :eek::eek::eek:'

In fact I actually returned it today for a refund!
Very disappointed!:(

I could have cut into the loom and hardwired the switch but thought better of it. It is just a simple off/on on one lead of the ignition!
Would have worked, but didn't want to spend a bunch of time running down the schematics for a good place to tie in.
Well that clears up the question as to whether the US bikes were intended to have the cutoff a resounding no on that. Begs another question then, why did the dealer order one for you. Seems to hint at more of the same lack of communication with the factory and dealers. Or did I miss something along the way and was your purchase third party. Still looking forward to my scout, but the anticipation of the honeymoon is starting to take on shades of reality.:eek:

·
Distinguished Founding Member
5,337 Posts
Definitely agree Communication with Polaris HQ leaves a lot to be desired but honestly most anyplace will sell you any part you want if you order it . Assuming RB got it at the Dealer they should have been aware of the fact that wouldn't match up to his Harness ..

·
Registered
326 Posts
Thanks for the update, Ronnie. Do you know exactly which wire it is that we have to tap into?

·
10,006 Posts
Well that clears up the question as to whether the US bikes were intended to have the cutoff a resounding no on that. Begs another question then, why did the dealer order one for you.

They didn't actually order one, they had it in stock!
Only after contacting Polaris Tech line did they find out that the European (world wide actually) wiring harnesses are different than what we get here at home.

But if I wanted to buy the harness and exchange it out for mine I could spend WAY over a grand for the parts and labor and would then have a harness where ABS could even be install too!
For MUCH more money! :eek: $$$$$
I'm sure I could have tied into the harness and hard wired it but decided that would be the wrong way to go with the bike warranty issues it could make.

Really pisses me off that a 30 cent part installed on our wiring harness could have allowed us to have the kickstand switch.

While it is not like something that I cant compensate for, it would have been wonderful to have the convince of its use and added safety.

Maybe if enough people ***** about it, maybe it could be installed on future models?:p

Now what do we do about the stability of the kickstand problem?
Has anyone on the forum tackled this yet?
:D

·
10,006 Posts
Assuming RB got it at the Dealer they should have been aware of the fact that wouldn't match up to his Harness ..

Jay, I did get it at a dealer, they had it in stock, and after them making MANY calls to the Tech services at Polaris was then only able to find out that the harnesses are different and they gave us a part number for the world wide (except us) wiring harness and the $800.00 plus wiring harness cost. :mad:

The world wide harness is not listed in my dealers parts fiche but was provided by the tech department at Polaris!
Apparently there have been other inquiry's somewhere down the line!

So the dealer was not even aware there was something different.

·
Registered
227 Posts
The sidestand kill switch "should" be a fairly easy piece to install, even if it did mean you have to splice it into the existing harness. It is a shame though that the correct connection plug wasn't already dangling somewhere on the bike, but oh well.. Sorry to hear about your hardship.

Even if you DID feel generous & rich, and decided to buy that $800 full harness, just to be able to use the sidestand switch, I'd be concerned that the bike would THEN start freaking out over the missing ABS parts that it expects should be there but are not.. I'm going to take a wild guess & assume adding all the ABS components to our bike (including the harness) would start costing upwards of $2000, maybe more :(

On a hopefully unrelated note: I'm ordering the fork lock assembly for my Scout, which is also not normally available on North American Scouts.. I really hope I too don't find out *why* that part isn't native to our Scout version

·
10,006 Posts
Thanks for the update, Ronnie. Do you know exactly which wire it is that we have to tap into?
I am reasonably sure of which wire it is on the wiring schematic, but not the actual location on the real wiring harness.

So I will hesitate without further study to give this information to anyone that has a vast potential to be wrong without some more research!

The only hint that I could give you would be that the kickstand switch MIGHT be installed on one leg, in line, on the live side of the ignition switch!
This would break the power to the engine ignition when the kickstand was down and reconnect power to the ignition when up.

Kind of like a inline switch on one leg of the wiring on a driving light.

Should be a simple thing to do, but a major decision to be made ONLY after much more research of the harness.

Another hint.... the wiring on the switch was about 18 inches long and had a very special connector and there were only two wires in the system.
Typically much like an extra heavy duty, designed for a motorcycle, off and on light switch found on the wall on your house!

Disclaimer: To me it would be a simple thing to do once I made my mind up to do it!
BUT.... Do your own research and proceed at your own peril, and remember there could or will be warranty issue with "Southern Engineering"!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts