Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Scout seems to be missing the kickstand lockout switch, I have emailed the dealer and will let you know the response

Attachments

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Doesn't have one.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Check to see if your gas gauge works.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
194 Posts
They don't come with one apparently. Which is odd, because I thought they were required by law in canada. Is your speedo set to miles? You might've gotten an American-model bike.

EDIT: I may also be wrong about Canadian bikes requiring it, it might just be an option that my friends with harley's apparently have on theirs, since I did a bunch of googling and can't find anything. Now I'm curious...

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
My last two triumphs both had shut off switches on kickstand if not in neutral. I have never had one on last Harley's but after trying to start my chieftain in a rush one day it reminded me how it works........I thought indian had switch on all of them but maybe not.....

·
Distinguished Founding Member
5,337 Posts
Far as i know No US made Bikes Have a Kickstand Safety Switch unless is made for Export where is Required .. Can Attest from Experience HD, Victory and My Scout Do Not ..

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Are Europeans typically too dumb to pull the clutch when starting? I don't think so. Has this ever been a problem leading to numerous injuries or deaths? I doubt it. Is it one more instance of officious bureaucrats taking it upon themselves to do your thinking for you cause they are convinced you're their child? Clearly. Is it one more doodad to go wrong? KLRs can attest to that.

Have a kickstand cutoff on the big beemer bagger which has always worked flawlessly. Have a kickstand cutoff on the KLR which was disabled even before I got it. Makes no diff to me. Start in neutral or with clutch pulled. That's all.

Saw a funny YouTube vid long while back where a beemerista accustomed to expect a kickstand switch invited to ride his buddy's new Hardley started it in gear. LURCH! Funny chit. Can't find that vid now. Anyone know where it is?

·
Founding member / Distinguished
6,027 Posts
The truth is, all our bikes have a kickstand switch bypass kits. The switch location and the elements are always problematic, with water, mud, rocks, branches, cats all posing potential risks. My rugged German beast was disabled by a small babyhead, ending what would have been a fun off-road excursion. So I'm pretty happy Polaris forgot to install ours...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Check to see if your gas gauge works.:rolleyes:
to Troop and Raysred1, if you look at the location of the poster, it says Ontario which is in Canada which is a different country and as such has different rules and regulations so valid comments would be more appreciated!

·
Registered
558 Posts
If you look at the online parts catalog for the Scout, they show it as a non-US part. Guess you could add if you wanted.

Reactions: dregol

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Okay I give up -- what's a babyhead, Meggie? Google tells me a place in Texas, a hip hop term, etc. ... what disabled your sidestand switch?

On the KLR, it's just another cheesey design. The spring is so weak that a good bump will clack the sidestand down and voila. One beemer I fixed for a buddy, the switch assembly wandered out of place. Another, it just broke -- prolly some road detritus.

But what's a babyhead?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you look at the online parts catalog for the Scout, they show it as a non-US part. Guess you could add if you wanted.
thanks,for the reply .I saw it in the online parts list that's what made me wonder. I don't want one but I didn't know if they were required in Canada I have owned more than thirty bikes over the years and I can only remember one that didn't have the switch and that was an R75 BMW from the sixtys.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
6,027 Posts
A larger version of Death Cookies. Loose, round, smooth rock 4-8" in diameter (think river stone) prevalent off road but also found on turns and hairpins of dirt roads. Universally hated.
And don't google 'death cookies' without putting 'mtn bike' in front of it...

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
to Troop and Raysred1, if you look at the location of the poster, it says Ontario which is in Canada which is a different country and as such has different rules and regulations so valid comments would be more appreciated!
If you took a minute and read the ongoing posts you would see that the kickstand, the gas gauge, the gear position indicator, the seat lanyard have all been an ongoing discussion issue. No one has received any input from Indian. You will get a lot of good info from these guys don't be so sensitive.
I do know that Ontario is not in the US by the way. I am not sure about Troop though.

·
Founding member / platinum
10,006 Posts
Are Europeans typically too dumb to pull the clutch when starting? I don't think so. Has this ever been a problem leading to numerous injuries or deaths? I doubt it. Is it one more instance of officious bureaucrats taking it upon themselves to do your thinking for you cause they are convinced you're their child? Clearly. Is it one more doodad to go wrong?
Webmost, my problem, and I'm sure other people also have the same problem is NOT with starting the bike, but the awkward process of shutting the bike off in gear without the cutoff switch.
A definite safety issue that needs to be addressed. Nanny state government or not! :D:D:D

As all of us know by now that have the new Scout that if the bike is not shut down and parked without being in gear, the bike is very unstable on the kickstand and on an sloped area may roll off the kickstand! FACT!

Without the switch the process is to pull into a parking area with the bike in gear and since you have the bike in gear and have your left hand on the clutch lever you can not reach down and shut the ignition switch off because it is located on the left side too and totally out of reach of your right hand.
This means if you want to use the safety of staying in gear you must then hit the kill switch to kill the engine, then you can take your hand off the clutch and turn the ignition switch off.
Once you do this you must remember to turn the kill switch back on. Bummer to me!
Or you could pull up into the parking area, put in neutral, reach down and shutoff ignition, put down kickstand, put back in gear!
Another bummer!

With the kickstand switch the process is quite simple... pull into your parking area and stop with clutch pulled and put down the kickstand.
The engine stops and you can then take your hand off the clutch and shut off the ignition!

Much easier and safer than trying to go through an awkward shutoff procedure pronounced/accentuated by the ignition being on the wrong side to use when the clutch is pulled!
The added safety of the procedure shows its self once again when parked in gear.

The kickstand switch keeps you from accidentally turning on the ignition and hitting the start button while the bike when it is in gear when off the bike and wanting to warm the engine.
As you probably already know by now that the new Scout will automatically keep cranking over for 3 seconds or until it starts.

Dumping the bike might not injure you but it will definitely ruin your day if the bike starts in gear and dumps itself on the concrete driveway!
Which by the way will start in gear with out the kickstand switch.... :eek::eek::oops:

I know it would be funny to see the Harley lurch forward and dump, but if it was your Scout lurching and dumping it takes on an entirely different meaning! LOL!

Just my opinion of course but you can use your bikes any way you want. :)
I now have one of the kickstand switches in my grubby hands since yesterday and intend to install it ASAP!

1 - 20 of 72 Posts