Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Kickstand Issues.

5K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  T120R69 
#1 ·
I am giving up on re replacing the kickstand on my 16 Chieftain. Class action? Just going to sand her down paint flat black and be done. I can not afford to keep returning to stealer for new ones,
And yes when I'm done Corporate Indian will reimburse me for my valuable time, wear n tear n gas etc on my vehicles returning the bike for warranted item, my loss riding time etc. Also going to address the Major screw up Indian corporate has created with shipping the wrong passenger backrests, I've been waiting a month for the correct one !!!! off my soap box , but it will be handled. Mad Mike :mad:

#4 ·
I've heard of some having issues with them cracking. But haven't heard of anyone else having repeated failures-What's going on with yours, that you have to keep replacing, and how in the world is painting it black going to help it??

One common theme I did pick up from these threads, and an Indian facebook post or two, is many of the cracked ones, were trailered with the kickstand down. That will crack or damage a kickstand quickly.....Not saying that's your issue, but curious, do you trailer, and if so, do you keep the kickstand down when you do?

#11 ·
The kickstand shouldn't crack anyway maybe just bend a little. There is probably a flaw of some sort but letting it land on the stand instead of laying it on it isn't helping. I just checked mine and it isn't bent or cracked.

I haven't had clacking valves either. My light bulbs haven't gone out at all much less multiple times. The chrome hasn't peeled off my ignition button. My leg hasn't been baked by the cat. My black paint isn't "soft" although it does have swirls in it but I don't notice them when I am riding since I keep my eyes on the road.

My fob battery hasn't gone bad but i use a short code and leave that piece of crap at home. My original battery is still good too and I have had my bike since December 2013.

I have 18,000 + miles on both original tires and they still have a mile or two left in them. I had a brown rear tire but I can't see it when I am riding it so I don't really care. Dunlop not only sent me a new whitewall they ended up sending me two!

After reading all the problems that some of the owners have had I feel like I have a one of the good ones. I have never had any of the reflashes and don't plan to. First rule of machanics is "If it isn't broke, don't fix it!"

#12 ·
Sand down the chrome plating? Where do you live? The Congo? Get it silver or dull grey powder coated.

Like Lon said......'set it down gently instead of dropping it on the stand'.

I can see ONE kickstand getting replaced because of the issue before but more?

#13 ·
Sometimes, letting people, who are not familiar with motorcycles, sit on it or leaning on it with their full weight might cause the kickstand issue. I have people all the time, ask to sit on my bike for photos. I tell them to give me the keys to their car so I can drive around the block. That usually shuts them up.

#19 ·
I went to a dealer yesterday to file a warranty claim due to bad chrome. I was told that chrome quality seems to be an issue. Keep in mind this is a dealer located in the middle of a desert 400 miles from the nearest ocean.

#24 ·
I know a couple people would leave their stand down when their better half was getting on causing the kickstand to bend over time "I" don't do that anymore especially since getting my Chieftain.
Still do! For both getting on and off. Try to compensate the weight when she is swinging her leg over the back rest.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.