Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just picked up a used, 2016 Roadmaster over the weekend. Lots of things that I love about it, it's the most comfortable bike I've owned. I do have the windshield rattle, need to look into that. But my biggest complaint is the kickstand. Ever other bike has had the spring set up so it "overcenters" and holds the kickstand down/forward after 3/4 of it's travel. This one, the spring fights me all the time, to the point that I have to put it down at about the 3/4 point, put weight on it and roll the bike back to get it in position. Annoying and leaves me very concerned about not getting it in place properly. Is there any easy solution to this? They got so much of the hard stuff right, but dropped the ball here. Thanks.

·
Gold member
6,449 Posts
I just picked up a used, 2016 Roadmaster over the weekend. Lots of things that I love about it, it's the most comfortable bike I've owned. I do have the windshield rattle, need to look into that. But my biggest complaint is the kickstand. Ever other bike has had the spring set up so it "overcenters" and holds the kickstand down/forward after 3/4 of it's travel. This one, the spring fights me all the time, to the point that I have to put it down at about the 3/4 point, put weight on it and roll the bike back to get it in position. Annoying and leaves me very concerned about not getting it in place properly. Is there any easy solution to this? They got so much of the hard stuff right, but dropped the ball here. Thanks.
I know it's Summer but you should go look for 'Spring' Really go buy a new spring, buy a couple their cheap. Easy job; on & off. Keep us posted, it's used. Get it somewhere else.

·
Banned
2,947 Posts
If it's an issue of not having long enough legs, I know Aeromach makes an extension for it.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Eh...give it time, it will fail eventually.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Both mine and my friends Ultras do not have stands that go over center. Ours "lock in" and actually do fold back towards the upside position. We both hate them; just don't look right or make me feel comfortable. If you don't get them in their "slot ", down goes the bike.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies-I'll look for a new spring when I'm at the dealer. Now that I have more miles on it, it's less of an issue. First bike with floorboards rather than pegs, it makes it awkward to get it all the way down, but I'm getting used to it.

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
You've got to give it a pretty good kick. I've had mine pop back up on me many times when I thought it was down. Sometimes I've wondered after putting it down 2 or 3 times and having it come back if people think I'm kickstarting the bike. I always make sure it is forward past vertical and roll back on it a bit to make sure it is "locked".

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
You've got to give it a pretty good kick. I've had mine pop back up on me many times when I thought it was down. Sometimes I've wondered after putting it down 2 or 3 times and having it come back if people think I'm kickstarting the bike. I always make sure it is forward past vertical and roll back on it a bit to make sure it is "locked".
Thats the safest way to be sure.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,115 Posts
It doesn't "lock in" like a Harley style bike. One thing that helps is to lube the kickstand.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts