Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any of you had problems with your bike not seeing the key fob? My 2017 Chieftain Limited only acts up in 90 degree + temps. I changed the battery just 2 weeks ago, On the key fob. Today I was riding with friends and we stopped for a cold one, Well damn, it happened again. Yes I have my code to start and get down the road, but still, this is very annoying. Any suggestions? Maybe I am not holding my mouth right.

Attachments

·
Registered
212 Posts
Hell I washed mine and it still works. Do you have any Bluetooth devices attached to bike. That will screw it up fast.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Has any of you had problems with your bike not seeing the key fob? My 2017 Chieftain Limited only acts up in 90 degree + temps. I changed the battery just 2 weeks ago, On the key fob. Today I was riding with friends and we stopped for a cold one, Well damn, it happened again. Yes I have my code to start and get down the road, but still, this is very annoying. Any suggestions? Maybe I am not holding my mouth right.
Lots of discussions here on the topic. Keeping the fob in its own pocket helps in my case.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
Where do you keep your fob? Do you happen to keep it in your pocket with your phone or other metal? I keep mine in a jacket pocket by itself.

·
Premium Member
1,216 Posts
If nothing else seems to work.

Check and see if the antenna is buried or out where it can easily communicate with the FOB.

Under the seat across from the fuse block.

fullsizeoutput_155.jpeg

Reactions: Jeffro63

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all for the information. Strange as this may seem, It only happens when I am near one of my friends on his Harley Rocker C? I will carry out all suggestions though, and let everyone know if this problem persists.

·
Bronze member
2,829 Posts
I have a 2015 vintage,and my bike honks the horn when It cant locate the fob,but only after starting then if i put it into gear and it cant find it right away,it honks the horn.and only once.this is so annoying that i have disconnected the horn.it only picks a time when someone's woman is in front of me or patch holders i dont know at the pumps.i have to explain it's the bike,not me.now I dont have a horn but my face is intact,so I'm good with the trade.

·
Bronze member
2,829 Posts
Sitting at a gas station two weeks ago,lots of bikes at a flying j in south dakota.this guy with a new sportster pulls up,and this bike sounds great,loud pipes and a low chugging idle.hes filling it off to the side while it continues to run .man it sounds great,then it honks,he looks around and I'm laughing,indian must have programmed sporties too

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
almost sounds like your fob is getting bullied by that harley lol #indianfobsdomatter. lmfao
but on a serious note only time i ever had prob was battery died but that was on a hd.

·
Registered
138 Posts
If parked next to any bike with keyless ignition this will cause interference and your bike wont find your fob
Try parking away from everything next time and try
Any bluetooth devices also like to cause trouble

·
Bronze member
2,829 Posts
If parked next to any bike with keyless ignition this will cause interference and your bike wont find your fob
Try parking away from everything next time and try
Any bluetooth devices also like to cause trouble
can this be programmed out of it?I would be happy with anything else,maybe have the button flash(it already goes red for a second).I couldn't imagine having those big horns on the side with this problem.

·
Registered
138 Posts
No this cant be programmed out the bike it's for security and the only thing you can do is have your dealer code your fob.
If you have 1 fob then ask the dealer to code it into all 4 fob slots
If you have 2 gobs then have them coded so 1st fob is slot 1 & 3 then 2nd fob is slot 2 & 4
If your bike doesnt recognize your fob it moves to search for next fib slot and keeps going till back to number 1
If your fob is programmed into all slots it gives it stronger chance ce of being found and recognized faster

·
Bronze member
4,707 Posts
It only happens when I am near one of my friends on his Harley Rocker C?
They say you can choose your friends but you can't choose your relatives. It seems like your bike is trying to un-choose a friend. :)

You could try testing it to see if it's his bike or his fob that is interfering. You might not be able to fix the whole situation, but knowing what exactly is causing the problem helps in working around it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts