Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I unveiled my (new to me) bike at a big ride on Sunday with about 20 Harleys. Let me say that it wasn't pleasant for me and very embarrassing. On four separate occasions when leaving a pick-up or gas stop, my bike's horn started beeping after start up and died!!! Now I am trying to wave people down to stop.

The security light would come on, horn beeping and power off. Eventually after a few trys it would start and be fine until next stop.

I have read a few old threads on this with no clear solution.I just changed the fob battery the day before the ride as well.

Is this a faulty battery, fob or electrical issue with the bike?

I have an appointment in a couple of weeks at the dealer but have a feeling they wont be able to diagnose and just sell me a new fob. I do not have the original pin for the bike either. It's a 2016 Roadmaster.

Any similar experiences or knowledge?

This was very embarrassing and scary at the same time

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Rider
530 Posts
There have been several folks discover that if you carry the fob in a pocket with other keys, cell phones etc. it can interfere with the fob signal. You might want to set your personal pin number to something easy to remember and use that.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had it hanging off my belt attached to two other keys. I have read about this but dont see how in my situation

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
Have the dealer give you your master Pin and reprogram a new Rider Pin. FOB antenna is under your seat, proximity is sometimes a quick solution for a weak FOB signal or other communications malfunction. Learn to use your Rider pin... Don't trust your ride to those persnickety gadgets that can easily fail.

·
Rider
1,148 Posts
I'm thinking now that you changed your FOB batteries, you will not have a problem.

I also have a 2016 Roadmaster that I love. Started to have troubles last year with it not reading the FOB. I always just throw it in the trunk.

Changed the batteries, and have not had a problem since.

I keep telling myself I should learn to use the PIN number also. Maybe I'm on borrowed time.

--
Gordon

·
Bronze member
2,950 Posts
Would definitely try a different fob battery . I have had times where my bike would start sometimes and not others and changing the battery solved the problem . You might have gotten an old or defective one and it could be a cheap / fast remedy .

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So may not be an ongoing problem for some but can it be a permanent problem? Does this mean I will have to punch in a pin every time the group decides to make a stop? I have to be ready on my bike with the code entered so I don't get left behind?
From what I recall on my last ride where the bike kept shutting down, I didn't realize there was a problem until i started and put it into gear. Then the horn beeps and shut-off. Most people have taken off already!!

My Harley is 11 years old with a key and a fob and have never had a problem.

I'm hoping the dealer knows what to do and a (reprogram) will work. I will likely buy another fob as well just to have a spare

·
Registered
737 Posts
I found that if I hit the power button and try to start right away sometimes the fob isn't recognized and bike stops but if I give a short pause before starting all is well.

·
Founding member
2014 Red Chief Classic
973 Posts
It's your fob battery, don't store the fob near your bike or the constant communion will drain the fob battery. Always keep spare batteries 2032 on your bike. Most Harley's use the same batteries, I've saved several of them over the years. Your horn honking is the indication that the battery is either weak or bad. Also, as has been said, make it a point to learn your pin code, it will save your asss.

Reactions: PE4CE

·
Founding member
2,204 Posts
It is possible to get a bad "new" battery and a weak battery is the most common cause to this problem.
However, you mentioned that the fob is hanging next to other keys and this is also an issue. Any metallic objects (keys, phone, pocketknife) in close proximity to the fob can attenuate the RF signal and cause it to be blocked/weakened enough to cause the bike to miss the ping from the fob. Move your fob (or the keys) and see if that eliminates the problem.

A third cause (as mentioned by dieselgman) that is much less common is the bike's RF antenna under the seat may have shifted position or had a wire damaged/pinched. This can cause intermittent reception. The dealer should be able to verify it.

Finally, YES you should learn (and occasionally practice) using your PIN. Also, store your Master PIN and Rider PIN in your phone (I put it as a note under the dealer's phone number) so you can remember it if needed.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I had a locksmith tell me that you should get the name brand battery for key fobs.

His opinion was that they all come from china but those get better quality control.

So far it's working for me ....

·
Bronze member
2,662 Posts
I think this is the info you seek...your key fob isn’t communicating with your bike properly, which usually indicates a weak fob battery. My 16 RM did the same and a fob battery replacement fixed it. I now change my fob battery every year.

If I recall the sequence, your bike talks to the fob once to allow start up and then again a couple seconds later (this is to prevent someone from jumping on your bike, with you standing near, and taking off. They’ll be out of range of your fob on the second attempt to communicate which either makes the alarm go off or shuts down the bike, or both...can’t recall which).

Lastly, your fob does not constantly talk to your bike. This was an internet rumor floating around a few years ago where owners were advised by other riders not to store the fob near the bike...totally debunked.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I might be inclined to think that the OP might be locking the bike using the fob and hitting the lock button twice engaging the alarm system. With that being said, starting the bike and then shutting it off and starting it again clears the alarm best. He mentioned that the horn blew and the security light was on. I have seen that a couple of times on my Roadmaster when I locked the bags to keep creeps from stealing my stuff. Just a thought. Ken

·
Registered
200 Posts
I would like to know, lol

I have MAJOR electrical problems on my bike. My whole alarm/key fob/ power button set-up is all malfunctioning. Dealer had it 3 weeks-NO FIXY. Maddie's Motorsports in Dansville NY, NO-One qualified to fix these bikes,UNACCEPTABLE. I have bypass wiring on my bike so I can at least ride it. I am an electrician, so I figured it out. I'll keep this bike because I really like it otherwise, but I'm done with Indian. Please don't tell me to take to another dealer, all very far away and they are only dirt bike/snowmobile hacks anyways. They didn't even do the shifter sensor SAFETY recall when it was there...

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have the same issue with a 2020 Chieftain. Wondering where your key was during the issue? I had my key in the glove-box, same issue, changed batteries several times picking up new ones twice (Energizer and then Duracell) ...same issue. Move the key to my pocket, or tank pouch, issue goes away. I don't like having keys in my pocket so it stays in the tank pouch and gets a new battery every month. My buddy has a 2017, key in glove-box or saddlebag no issue. Possible the new head unit with GPS and modem causes interference or maybe antenna strength changed. I'd rather we just had the choice of a key. I see the fob as being a liability in the long run.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have MAJOR electrical problems on my bike. My whole alarm/key fob/ power button set-up is all malfunctioning. Dealer had it 3 weeks-NO FIXY. Maddie's Motorsports in Dansville NY, NO-One qualified to fix these bikes,UNACCEPTABLE. I have bypass wiring on my bike so I can at least ride it. I am an electrician, so I figured it out. I'll keep this bike because I really like it otherwise, but I'm done with Indian. Please don't tell me to take to another dealer, all very far away and they are only dirt bike/snowmobile hacks anyways. They didn't even do the shifter sensor SAFETY recall when it was there...
Sounds like a dealer issue. Have you tried calling Indian customer support directly to see if they can help expedite a fix? I'm sure they would interested in the safety recall no fix. This stuff is not rocket science and should only require replacement of a component.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Sounds like a dealer issue. Have you tried calling Indian customer support directly to see if they can help expedite a fix? I'm sure they would interested in the safety recall no fix. This stuff is not rocket science and should only require replacement of a component.
I am fed up with the whole thing. I have a case with Indian. No follow up from them either. I have extended warranty too...

·
German Rider
1,733 Posts
Hm, my Roadmaster is 2 years old now. Never had an issue with the fob. Never changed the battery till now. Carry up to 4 battery's as a spare, but...
When bike is parked in my garage, the fob is stored in a small metal box of fisherman friend pastills since new to prevent "skimming" of the fob signal. Very common here, especially on car key fob.

While riding, the fob is on a lanyard around my neck or in an inside zipper pocket of the jacket.

Cu,
Sven

1 - 20 of 30 Posts