Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 3 weeks ago after fueling, my bikes horn beeped 4 times, 1 block later it shut down. I pulled over and she cranked right up. On the 4 mile ride home it shutdown 2 times.
I siphoned out my fuel, put more fuel with seafoam in. Put a new battery in the keyfob. It would still shutdown.
My know it all wife says, start it manually and leave the key fob at home.
Magic. She never shutdown. Tried it with the key fob. She started right up and shutdown 2 miles later. I've been starting it manually till I get it to the shop.
20200119_140802.jpg

·
Founding member
1,149 Posts
Sounds like you have a "Security System" issue, but I didn't think the bike shutdown once running for this. For example, if you start the bike with the FOB close but leave it on your workbench, drive 15 miles to meet others, shut the bike down, it won't start back up without either the manual bypass or the FOB present, but it didn't shutdown over the 15 mile ride... This may sound as if I did this exact thing, and I have... twice actually. The point being, I believe the bike doesn't shutdown while riding for security issues. Not cool in my opinion because it seems to me this is an internal programming problem maybe caused by a "short" in the internal electronics of the ECM/VCM.

On another note: Beautiful Bike, I think that every time I see a pic of her!

Oh and I always hate when my wife's non educated suggestion works also! lol

·
Founding member
2,192 Posts
Yes, the security system will shut the bike down if it doesn't get a response from the fob after startup. The first handshake/ping between bike and fob occurs when the bike is powered up, a second one occurs when the bike is put into gear (if it was in neutral), and a third one occurs a little while later after the bike is moving. This is done to be sure the owner doesn't ride away without the fob ... or that a thief was able to start the bike with the owner nearby and drive off without the fob. (In PE4CE's case, the third signal might be received while the fob is still in range depending on how long you sit before riding away.)

Assuming the replacement battery is good (not always the case, especially if it is an off-brand), there are two other things that can result in a communication link error between bike/fob:
(Most common cause after a weak/dead fob battery) If there are other metallic objects next to the fob (ex. keys, phone, pocketknife in the same pocket as the fob), the signal can be attenuated and it will sometimes work, other times fail.
(Less common) The bike's receiving antenna under the seat may be damaged (wire shorting/crimped) or the antenna shifted to where it may occasionally have the signal blocked.

If you have the fob in your pocket without other items, my guess is that the antenna wire has been damaged and it is working as you power the bike up, but when the engine is running it causes enough vibration to disconnect the antenna and it never gets the third transmission from the fob. Good luck on troubleshooting or dealer fix.

·
Founding member
1,149 Posts
So not in an attempt to steal the thread, but @jayred1 in your opinion should my bike have been able to run the 15 miles to my normal fuel/link up point without the FOB..? I guess when using the blinker bypass to start the bike, this other feature is disabled. Technology is a wonderful thing, until it isn't.

·
Banned
4,925 Posts
So not in an attempt to steal the thread, but @jayred1 in your opinion should my bike have been able to run the 15 miles to my normal fuel/link up point without the FOB..? I guess when using the blinker bypass to start the bike, this other feature is disabled. Technology is a wonderful thing, until it isn't.
I'm pondering the same thing. Start bike with the blinker code method and leave home without the fob, will the bike die if the fob is left home?

·
Rider
974 Posts
About 3 weeks ago after fueling, my bikes horn beeped 4 times, 1 block later it shut down. I pulled over and she cranked right up. On the 4 mile ride home it shutdown 2 times.
I siphoned out my fuel, put more fuel with seafoam in. Put a new battery in the keyfob. It would still shutdown.
My know it all wife says, start it manually and leave the key fob at home.
Magic. She never shutdown. Tried it with the key fob. She started right up and shutdown 2 miles later. I've been starting it manually till I get it to the shop. View attachment 580148
Rodney you rascal, seems you gots a Fob problem. One thing is make sure the battery you replaced is the correct one, if it is, just for the heck of it, try another one, coz this may be the simplest thing you can do.

But the most important thing you should do is NOT to let you wife know that her suggestion worked, otherwise, it'll be the topic of discussion among friends, family and strangers of how she fixed your bike.

"Rascal" is a term you used frequently on you youtube channel. We had chatted in the past. Bike looks mighty purdy by the way.

·
Banned
4,925 Posts
I always do that. Doesn't die. Unless I misunderstood.
I've started the bike via blinker method a few times just to do it, check the code, see if it works, that's about it. But never left home without the FOB. Good to know it works if/when needed.

·
Senior member / gold
6,951 Posts
It sounds like your fob is in your pocket, and is being blocked by keys or something metal. Try a new battery first. Keep your fob in an empty pocket, or a pocket with no metal objects. If none if these fixes work, it's time for a new fob, my friend.
As a sidenote:
I stopped for gas, one time, after filling the bike wouldn't start. I remembered a post about the fob being blocked by keys in my pocket. I felt in my pocket, and sure enough, the fob was behind my keys. I moved my fob to the other pocket, and the bike cranked right up. I bought a stylish leather case that attaches to my belt. I always get comments on this case, because it's beautiful.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I hear ya.
Rodney you rascal, seems you gots a Fob problem. One thing is make sure the battery you replaced is the correct one, if it is, just for the heck of it, try another one, coz this may be the simplest thing you can do.

But the most important thing you should do is NOT to let you wife know that her suggestion worked, otherwise, it'll be the topic of discussion among friends, family and strangers of how she fixed your bike.

"Rascal" is a term you used frequently on you youtube channel. We had chatted in the past. Bike looks mighty purdy by the way.
I will double check the battery. But hey it cranks up with the key fob and dies down the road. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yo
Yes, the security system will shut the bike down if it doesn't get a response from the fob after startup. The first handshake/ping between bike and fob occurs when the bike is powered up, a second one occurs when the bike is put into gear (if it was in neutral), and a third one occurs a little while later after the bike is moving. This is done to be sure the owner doesn't ride away without the fob ... or that a thief was able to start the bike with the owner nearby and drive off without the fob. (In PE4CE's case, the third signal might be received while the fob is still in range depending on how long you sit before riding away.)

Assuming the replacement battery is good (not always the case, especially if it is an off-brand), there are two other things that can result in a communication link error between bike/fob:
(Most common cause after a weak/dead fob battery) If there are other metallic objects next to the fob (ex. keys, phone, pocketknife in the same pocket as the fob), the signal can be attenuated and it will sometimes work, other times fail.
(Less common) The bike's receiving antenna under the seat may be damaged (wire shorting/crimped) or the antenna shifted to where it may occasionally have the signal blocked.

If you have the fob in your pocket without other items, my guess is that the antenna wire has been damaged and it is working as you power the bike up, but when the engine is running it causes enough vibration to disconnect the antenna and it never gets the third transmission from the fob. Good luck on troubleshooting or dealer fix.
You know I did hang my key fob with my other keys. I had bought a cool looking para cord key chain and the first time I went riding, the bike started acting up, so I stop using the key chain. Dang! Thanks for all the ideas.

·
Senior member / gold
6,951 Posts
I hear ya.

I will double check the battery. But hey it cranks up with the key fob and dies down the road. Thanks.
It's possible that the fob battery has enough juice find the bike, but not enough juice to continuously operate the find feature. Once you park, the battery recovers enough to allow the bike to find the fob again, until the battery goes flat again.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's possible that the fob battery has enough juice find the bike, but not enough juice to continuously operate the find feature. Once you park, the battery recovers enough to allow the bike to find the fob again, until the battery goes flat again.
Good point. Oh, I remember, I mean my wife remembers me dropping it and it does have a hairline crack. Jezz.
I will buy a new battery and see. The shop wants to look at it. He was asking if I could find neutral easy. Yes.
At least I can ride this rascal!!

·
Founding member
2,192 Posts
I'm pondering the same thing. Start bike with the blinker code method and leave home without the fob, will the bike die if the fob is left home?
Starting the bike with the PIN (turn signal) bypasses the computer looking for the fob. The bike knows that the fob may not be present when you're using the PIN and it doesn't "look for it".

Chief Signguru is correct - a weak fob battery may have enough power to do the initial fob transmission but then the voltage drops for a period of time and may not be able to do a repeated ping. Once the battery is rested, it will recover slightly allowing it to make another transmission.

·
Silver member
5,032 Posts
Flaco, my bet is your antennae has shifted a bit under the seat. try relocating it. Your bike is a 14 if I remember correctly. That's alot of miles I assume.

If you have a crack in your FOB case, but it didn't damage the round mother board, for lack of a better word, it should not matter.

It also should not matter if your FOB is dead or alive if you start it with the pin number that overrides everything.

I have had the, "oh shit my horning is going off scenario" And when the bike died I just used my pin, rode to Lowes, bought a battery, started it with my pin, got home, changed the battery, FOB worked again.

And note, your antennae is a black rectangular flat plastic looking thing that is to the right of your battery box. If I recall it is a simple sealed two wire, black and white, I can't remember, but search here for pictures.

Reactions: FlacoReyna

·
Rider
974 Posts
I've started the bike via blinker method a few times just to do it, check the code, see if it works, that's about it. But never left home without the FOB. Good to know it works if/when needed.
99% of the times I ride with the fob at home. If anything, it's a more secure way that the bike aint gonna do the horn at 1 min and shut off. Those transmitters on the fobs are finicky.

·
Registered
110 Posts

I work on a military base and had a similar problem that only happened while leaving work. Changed FOB battery and still happened even though manual start worked find. Didn't have the FOB problem at home. Not quite sure what was causing it, but thought maybe it could've been due to some RF interference at the base.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Flaco, my bet is your antennae has shifted a bit under the seat. try relocating it. Your bike is a 14 if I remember correctly. That's alot of miles I assume.

If you have a crack in your FOB case, but it didn't damage the round mother board, for lack of a better word, it should not matter.

It also should not matter if your FOB is dead or alive if you start it with the pin number that overrides everything.

I have had the, "oh shit my horning is going off scenario" And when the bike died I just used my pin, rode to Lowes, bought a battery, started it with my pin, got home, changed the battery, FOB worked again.

And note, your antennae is a black rectangular flat plastic looking thing that is to the right of your battery box. If I recall it is a simple sealed two wire, black and white, I can't remember, but search here for pictures.
I will check, I will also relocate the antennae. Thanks Brother. This is the reason I go here to this Forum before I go to the shop. So much great information.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts