Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be picking up my Roadmaster in April. I've followed many posts here and have one question I haven't seen yet. This has to do with the Fob. My question is this; What is the range of the fob? AND If the bike is started (fob is within range) then the fob is remove from active range, will the bike shut down or will it operate thus meaning it is drivable until shut off? Just thinking if you park the bike and are eating inside next to a window next to the bike, it could be started but can it be driven away once the fob is out of range? Thanks guys, real curious.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Good question. I have taken my fob ten feet away and the bike will not start. I was trying different distances while I learn to start it with factory master code for my bike and personal pin code. This was with new tested batteries so I wouldn't worry unless you are such a bad shot you would miss from under ten feet.......

·
Gold Supporting Member
3,248 Posts
If the bike is started, it will continue to run whether the fob is in range or not. If it is then turned off, it will not restart. I always lock my front fork lock as an added precaution if my bike is out of sight.

Learning the sequence and changing the Rider Pin is a little tricky but a good skill to have if your fob batteries go dead. My dealer had the Master Pin set to 0000. Not a real safe code. Goto => Page #123 of the Users Manual.
Indian_Security_Code.jpg

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Before you can Q in the code the motorcycle will first ask you for your mothers maiden name, the color of your cat and which direction is right or left. Once these questions have been answered correctly only then can you key in or change the code.

·
Super Moderator
4,927 Posts
I will be picking up my Roadmaster in April. I've followed many posts here and have one question I haven't seen yet. This has to do with the Fob. My question is this; What is the range of the fob? AND If the bike is started (fob is within range) then the fob is remove from active range, will the bike shut down or will it operate thus meaning it is drivable until shut off? Just thinking if you park the bike and are eating inside next to a window next to the bike, it could be started but can it be driven away once the fob is out of range? Thanks guys, real curious.
If my fob is any further than 4ft away #37 will not start.

·
Gold Supporting Member
3,248 Posts
No real need to buy an extra fob. After you get comfortable with punching in your Rider Code, you can start up your sickle pretty quickly.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,503 Posts
Just to be on the safe side I bought an extra FOB. I stand a much better chance of remembering the extra FOB than my personal code....

Reactions: Poppa P

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
No real need to buy an extra fob. After you get comfortable with punching in your Rider Code, you can start up your sickle pretty quickly.
Old and forgetful like me. I misplace my fob and forget the code. If I don't order another fob I might be screwed

·
Registered
448 Posts
Old and forgetful like me. I misplace my fob and forget the code. If I don't order another fob I might be screwed
Better buy 2 extra FOBs in case you misplace the 1st 2 then you'll always have the third one to rely on.

·
Registered
154 Posts
After this post I decided it was time to learn how to start it without the fob. I was successful after about 6 try's..... I found out you have to be fast and don't have to wait after hitting the power button. I will be changing the PIN to a lessor number to make the process quicker!! (My number started with an 8 and that's just too many clicks to get it done in the time allowed...)

·
Registered
57 Posts
If the bike is running and... let's say you get carjacked at a light and walk away with the fob, the bike will continue to idle until you put it in gear. Then the bike shuts off and won't start. Mr thief is then stuck with a dead bike.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,052 Posts
Morning Folks,
When I had the Stage 2 exhaust flash done to Chieftain #873 at Black Gold Indian in Odessa, the tech walked out to the bike with me, I started it and rode off. After traveling about thirty feet, the key icon lit up and the engine died; I'd forgotten to get the fob from the tech.
--- Randall

·
Gold Supporting Member
3,248 Posts
That's great. I was going to perform that same experiment today. I still look the fork lock when the sickle is out of my sight line.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Has anyone experienced the horn honking at you when you put it in gear after starting? Tech told me its cuz the bike hasn't recognized the FOB. He recommended me wait a bit before putting it in gear after starting so the bike 'finds' the FOB. Or it could be the battery in the FOB is dying. It bothers me cuz after filling it at a gas station I start to leave and it honks, people stare at me like I'm trying to show off or something. Or course, It's not so bad when the ladies check me out though... ;)

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Has anyone experienced the horn honking at you when you put it in gear after starting? Tech told me its cuz the bike hasn't recognized the FOB. He recommended me wait a bit before putting it in gear after starting so the bike 'finds' the FOB. Or it could be the battery in the FOB is dying. It bothers me cuz after filling it at a gas station I start to leave and it honks, people stare at me like I'm trying to show off or something. Or course, It's not so bad when the ladies check me out though... ;)
I had that issue, until they replaced the fob and did another service flash, so far so good. Mine would shut down as well as honk the horn.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts