Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
long story short, my Chieftain key for got run over, I don’t think mine can be fixed. The PCB looks ok but the battery terminals are gone and lock button is jammed in and doesn’t press anymore.
Just looking for a reasonable replacement and does the dealer have to program it?
I saw some online for $100-$125
Thanks

Attachments

·
Silver member
4,812 Posts
If you can get the battery part to work you can order the FOB housing for like 20.00 from Indian.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you can get the battery part to work you can order the FOB housing for like 20.00 from Indian.
Ya I was thinking I can probably get the battery part to with with some soldering, but the unlock button on the PCB is smashed and doesn’t press in and pop out anymore so I think this key fob is done.

·
Rider
508 Posts
I lost my fob a couple of months ago (stupid mistake) and needed a replacement. The PN is 4014121. Indian wants $114 for it. I found a part store online selling it for somewhere around $75 and my dealer matched the price. However, they made their money back when they programmed it. Like many dealers, mine uses a stupid guide with fixed times for maintenance activities which apparently indicated a 30 minute job. Anyhow I think I paid $65 for a 5 minute job.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I lost my fob a couple of months ago (stupid mistake) and needed a replacement. The PN is 4014121. Indian wants $114 for it. I found a part store online selling it for somewhere around $75 and my dealer matched the price. However, they made their money back when they programmed it. Like many dealers, mine uses a stupid guide with fixed times for maintenance activities which apparently indicated a 30 minute job. Anyhow I think I paid $65 for a 5 minute job.

Thank you so much for the part number.

·
Founding member
2,059 Posts
Yes, you will need to see a dealer to have the fob linked to the bike. There is no programming done to the fob; however the bike's computer must have the fob's four digit code added to it so it will accept the digital code put out by the fob. It requires the dealer's DigitalWrench system to connect to the bike's firmware.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, you will need to see a dealer to have the fob linked to the bike. There is no programming done to the fob; however the bike's computer must have the fob's four digit code added to it so it will accept the digital code put out by the fob. It requires the dealer's DigitalWrench system to connect to the bike's firmware.
Got it, thanks. I’ll probably just buy it from the dealer and get it all done at the same time.
Thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My dealer sold me the entire FOB for about $100 (plus NY tax) and paired it to the bike for free. Cheese! It only took about 2 minutes.
That’s awesome, I didn’t get so lucky. I could t even get a free key fob sticker that was 6 bucks, so peeled the the off my other fob and glued it on the new fob.

·
Rider
508 Posts
My dealer sold me the entire FOB for about $100 (plus NY tax) and paired it to the bike for free. Cheese! It only took about 2 minutes.
You have a fair dealer. The stupid exaggerated maintenance time guide that most dealers use is BS. Those timelines may be correct for a rookie technician who is doing a job for the first time, but certainly not correct for a proficient technician. Attaching a PC to the comm port and plugging in a few numbers doesn't take more than 5-10 minutes.

·
Bronze member
2,754 Posts
A great thing about the 2019 Ride command is they have the numbers on the display to push your security side into it without having the fob. Sadly my 2018 Road Master you need to use the indicator switch and go through the x amount of times to the left and x amount to the right togetherness the correct codes input .But as always we learn by our mistakes and it cost us .

·
Founding member
2,059 Posts
You have a fair dealer. The stupid exaggerated maintenance time guide that most dealers use is BS. Those timelines may be correct for a rookie technician who is doing a job for the first time, but certainly not correct for a proficient technician. Attaching a PC to the comm port and plugging in a few numbers doesn't take more than 5-10 minutes.

Plus 5 minutes to write up the ticket, get the bike from the owner, wheel it into the shop ... then 5-10 minutes to do the work ... then another 15 minutes to close out the ticket, verify no other work is required due to recalls/etc., take the bike out to the customer, explain what was done - talk to them about the 2020 line - listen to them about the one time they heard a funny noise from the rear of the bike but then it went away - tell them have a good day and ride safe. Wow, where did all that time go ... it should have only taken 5-10 minutes and now the next customer is waiting and fuming ... and I really need a bathroom break! :(

·
Rider
439 Posts
This is why I like my dealer, they charge you for the time it actually took. And if it takes five minutes, they'll probably just send you on your way with a "don't worry about it". They figured out a while ago it's a good way to get good word of mouth and loyal repeat customers.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts