Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone tell me where I can locate the Key Fob number? I opened the Fob and found a couple numbers....one four digit number and other longer number. Not sure if either of those are the correct number.

·
Founding member
2,280 Posts
The fob does not have any "number" on it or inside it (this would pretty much defeat the security of the system). The number is internal to the bike memory and is paired with a fob (original or replacement) via the dealer's "DigitalWrench" computer. You should have been given the bike's "master" PIN number with the paperwork from the dealer - mine wrote it down on the inside of the owner's manual. You need this master number to then program a second "personal" PIN which is easier for the owner to remember.
If you're unable to locate the bike's number, you'll need to have a dealer connect the bike to their computer to determine the master PIN or you may get lucky and ask the dealer if they have the master PIN in their records.

·
Gold Supporting Member
3,248 Posts
A lot of dealers set the default PIN on the fobs at 1-2-3-4 or 0-0-0-0. Look in the Owners Manual to customize it.

·
Founding member
2,280 Posts
Not sure about your definition of "default" PIN, but if a dealer set the PIN to another number (1234 or 0000) they are not changing the Master (default?) PIN, but they are adding the Personal PIN. The Master PIN is randomly assigned at the factory and will remain associated with the bike as long as the ECU hasn't been replaced. If you, or a dealer, adds a Personal PIN the Master PIN will still be active and work to start the bike.

Another to again clarify ... the PINs (Master and Personal) are in the bike and doesn't have any association with the fob.

·
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
So....i don't think I asked the right question as the responses seem to be focused on the Master and Rider (Personal) PINs (I have those) vs the FOB "serial number". The owner's manual (see clip below) suggests each FOB has a unique "serial number". Why is this important and where can I find that number?
Text Line Font Number Parallel

·
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had a chance to ask my dealer about the FOB serial number when I brought my bike in for the 500 mile maintenance check. Each FOB comes with a unique serial number and it is important to keep track of that number. I bought a second FOB this weekend, so I now know what the tag with all the numbers was when I got home with my bike the first day....good thing I was smart enough not to throw the tag away!

According to the dealer, they will need the serial number if there is ever a requirement to re-establish connection between the FOB and the bike. Since this computer driven system, you can bet at some point the bike will lose connection with the FOB. Without the serial number, the FOB becomes an expensive paperweight.

·
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so, did you find out where the serial number was on the FOB? Are you saying that the number is not on the FOB but only on the tag that came with the FOB.
The serial number is not imprinted on the FOB (inside or out), only on the tag that it came with. Sounds like a number you want to tuck away somewhere safe.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts