Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys went to go out for a quick ride and my key fob just stopped, my chieften has 160 miles and is a week old, the light comes on when I hit the saddle bag locks but it does nothing and the bike can't read it, anyone have this problem and is there a way to reset it without going to the dealer?

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
Hey guys went to go out for a quick ride and my key fob just stopped, my chieften has 160 miles and is a week old, the light comes on when I hit the saddle bag locks but it does nothing and the bike can't read it, anyone have this problem and is there a way to reset it without going to the dealer?
Open it up by removing the tiny screw and replace the standard watch battery in it with a quality one, like Energizer.

>---------> >---------> >--------->

Live Free - Ride Hard - Die Well

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But the light on the fob comes on when I hit the button and when I power the bike up and put the fob close to it the light flashes and you can here like a weird beeping in the speaker

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
But the light on the fob comes on when I hit the button and when I power the bike up and put the fob close to it the light flashes and you can here like a weird beeping in the speaker
I had something similar, replacing the battery worked for me on my Chieftain, cost 3 dollars to try, just see, then if it doesn't work, file a warranty claim with your dealer

·
Rider
520 Posts
My fob has been quirky too I hear it lock the saddle bags on my chieftain but no beep to let me know it's armed, I think I will change battery as well since I just git 3 weeks ago and it's a 2015 assembled in 2014.
What size/model # battery does use ? Thanks

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
My fob has been quirky too I hear it lock the saddle bags on my chieftain but no beep to let me know it's armed, I think I will change battery as well since I just git 3 weeks ago and it's a 2015 assembled in 2014.

Hal, you have to press the lock button twice to activate the alarm. Once you activate the alarm your horn will sound once letting you know it is activated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Rider
520 Posts
, I had an issue with my vintage and the keyfob, which I had added, and they had to reflash, the software to get it working again.. thanks Scott, I'll try again..

·
Founding member
1,978 Posts
The light is not i

The battery is a CR 2032 (commonly available).

As Sturgis said, you need to hit the lock button a second time to activate the alarm; however, you also need the bike to have the latest firmware installed for it to have the alarm feature ... early 2015s didn't have this version of the firmware, but it may have been installed if you've had the bike in for any service. If not, you'll need to ask the dealership/service dept to upgrade the firmware ... prices vary depending on dealership (and how good a relationship you have with the service manager). If you press the button twice and no horn honk, I think it is likely you don't have the current firmware.

·
Senior member / silver
3,453 Posts
Also the power to the bike has to be OFF to set the alarm on the second push of the lock button. Then you will hear the horn honk.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well a update went to the dealer they just replaced the fob the tech said its not too common but he's got a box full of broken ones lol

·
Founding member
1,083 Posts
Very important tp learn how to start your bike using your code. Fob failures are common. I'm on my third one.

No problems on my 16, but it was a issue on my 2014 Chieftain.

·
Rider
520 Posts
Had mine flashed over the weekend, since it was a 2015 leftover,it needed the update, even though the bike was purchased 3 weeks ago with zero miles

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Rider
520 Posts
Ok, well FOB died again, was given temp by dealer until he gets stock on the correct FOB with both alarm and lid lock on it. Said it's an issue with the them breaking down often..

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sometimes the old tried & true way (ignition key) is better than the latest & greatest high tech gadgetry. I already had to replace the battery in my fob and haven't had my 2015 Chieftain a year yet. I got a four pack of batteries and keep them and a tiny enough screwdriver in my saddlebag, just in case the damn fob dies out in the middle of nowhere.
Agreed even the brand new fob I just got replaced once and a blue moon will I guess stop working for a moment and.my security light comes on and the horn starts honking lol

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
When I first got my 2015 Chieftain, I keep the FOB stored nearby, the battery in the FOB went dead in three weeks. Contacted Indian HQS and was told to replace the battery and to store it 10' or more away from my bike when not needed to keep the FOB battery from going dead from it and the bike talking to each other.

·
Rider
520 Posts
The issue for me is that it's more than a CR2032 battery problem, the damn things just stop " communicating" with bike 2nd time this happened and I am super careful never drop, always in my pocket of my leather jacket or when at home never in harms way... As I mentioned the service manager said its a known issue in the 2015s.. My shit luck I guess

·
Registered
125 Posts
Agreed even the brand new fob I just got replaced once and a blue moon will I guess stop working for a moment and.my security light comes on and the horn starts honking lol
Yep my 2014 is doing the same thing. The alarm goes off when you put it in 1st gear and starts honking and you try to put in neutral and it won't let you until you turn it off. Not cool when you're riding with a bunch of harley's. Lol I had replaced the battery previous because the check battery light was coming up on my dash. It was the fob battery that was the issue. I think the fob needs replaced.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts