Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep reading about pricing of accessories but I view it differently. I added mirrors, chrome inlay floor boards, stage 1 six shooter pipes, and chrome caliper covers upon purchase. All were priced installed and discounted some what. These bikes are coming from the factory very nicely appointed. Similar chroming and extras added to any new Harley would cost thousands! As I've said before I purchased a Softail Deluxe for my wife 1 week after getting my Vintage. I added smoked windshield (short) seat matching bags, and stage 1 slip on pipes. Her bike cost MORE than mine! I still will have to change her aluminum front shock forks to chrome ($1000) down the road as I live on the beach and we know how quickly those pit and discolor. Now look at all the chrome, the engine, the ABS, the cruise control, that we get from the factory on our Indians and we are really getting some bang for the buck. They will have sales and promotions from time to time I am sure. In reality most of us are just impatient and want what we want now. We have a choice to wait. BTW Veterans get 10% off on apparel and what not I think.

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
Indian has been very very good to me.

I just wish that belt buckle came with instructions cause for the life of me...Every time I try to open a bottle of beer with it I end up looking like I pee'd my pants.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Some of their prices are in range of normal high end. Others are off the charts ridiculous. I think they are trying to recoup 3 years of R&D in the first year from their initial customers. Their base models do come nicely appointed with extras Harley would charge for, but I doubt they are freebies.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BigD get a lighter. Hawghauler, we don't have to buy anything. Not to be crass but it's a choice. If you feel it's over priced ( I agree some are) don't buy it or do what my wife does and wait for a sale.

·
Super Moderator
4,928 Posts
BigD get a lighter. Hawghauler, we don't have to buy anything. Not to be crass but it's a choice. If you feel it's over priced ( I agree some are) don't buy it or do what my wife does and wait for a sale.
Sale? I haven't seen anything "for sale" that has been "on sale".

·
Founding member / distinguished
2,783 Posts
I have made a few comments about Indian's prices on accessory gear. It's no different than HD. If you want factory gear, you'rte gonna pay for it.
Our big disadvantage right now is that there is very little aftermarket accessories. That will change

·
Super Moderator
4,928 Posts
I know EXACTLY what you meant!! The prices we pay just to have the "Indian"script on our parts!!

·
Registered
196 Posts
I am waiting as I have no choice, I live overseas and while I was home, nothing was in stock. Fabrication and chroming is not always too expensive. 500 bucks for a trunk mount should not be too hard beat and the aftermarket folks will fill the vacuum. I have already procured a few of the accessories and overpaid for need and speed, now I have time to wait and plan. Some of the prices are in Harley price range which was frequently too high considering the Asian origin. I consider my diatribe on overcharging as a customer expressing sentiment which hopefully will be read and analyzed by IMC. If they continue selling all they can produce, year after year at that price, then they priced it right. If they lose to competition and don’t gain the market share they need, we who bought Indians all lose. They should listen to Indian owners first, and the experts second. The experts are paid to give them opinion, I bought the right to do it. I’ll wager Indian hasn’t produced enough bikes yet to turn a corner on profit, they won’t get there faster with 200 dollar strips of leather. They will drive the fiscally cautious to watch what the market will dish up. Harley will not just give them market share, Indian will have to fight for it and Harley will fight back. I am eying a Mustang seat and if Thundermax coughs up a compatible brain the Indian brain will be in a jar labeled Abby Normal.

·
Registered
765 Posts
My response is this: Why are so many comparing Indian's accessory pricing to HD? Were we happy with HD prices? Why did we buy Indian motorcycles? Because we were sick of what we got from HD for our hard earned money!!! Come on Polaris, Don't play the same game as HD.

I want to add to and change out stuff but will keep my accessory $ in my wallet for when the aftermarket / used stuff is more available.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Indian has been very very good to me.

I just wish that belt buckle came with instructions cause for the life of me...Every time I try to open a bottle of beer with it I end up looking like I pee'd my pants.
BD, easy fix. Tell your buddy to try on the belt. When he has it on open your bottle. As soon as he figures out what in the h*ll just happened you'll be done with about a third of the bottle and you'll be laughing to boot! Beer and humor is a good combo.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts