Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone else notice that included in the parts modifications to O'Hara's race bike was a K &N air filter? Love to know when that would be available to the public, also really looking forward to all the aftermarket parts that will be created to help the Challenger keep winning. Racing has been huge for the auto after market products, looking forward to the same for the bagger market.

·
Premium Member
2020 Indian Challenger Limited - Thunder Black Pearl
2,695 Posts
I remember reading somewhere that a Challenger owner took his OEM airfliter to an autoparts store and matched up a K&N filter to his stock OEM one. Only problem was he had to trim the rubber gasket around the new K&N filter in order for it to fit properly into the Challenger air fliter box.

You just gave me an idea, I have a brand new OEM filter tucked away in my Challenger maintenance and spare parts. I need to take it to a parts store and see if I can find a good match for it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
POWER

THE CHALLENGER’S 108-CUBIC-INCH ENGINE BENEFITS FROM A FEW TWEAKS THAT OPTIMIZE PERFORMANCE IN THE UPPER REV RANGE. PHOTO COURTESY OF S&S.
The Indian Challenger’s liquid-cooled Power Plus 108-cubic-inch V-twin engine is a really solid motor and nearly race-ready in OEM form. But, since the engines run at much higher RPMs in the King of the Baggers Series, a few basic mods are required.

S&S Cycles’ solutions are:

● A mild porting job on the cylinder heads

● Indian Stage 2 camshafts

● A K&N high-flow air cleaner, which combines with the 2-into-1 exhaust system to take more air in and pump more air out, thereby increasing horsepower

·
Registered
280 Posts

I know some riders believe “additional airflow” filters (like this K&N) have no measurable effect, except maybe a placebo effect. They may have reasons/experience for that.
My simple take…
The Indian filter is $30. Replace only… manual & Indian video say “Do not attempt to clean.” Ok.
No grease or instructions to apply grease along edges.
And, it’s sourced from China.

The K&N was $28 delivered via Amazon.
Lifetime filter …washable.
Tube of high-temp grease included with illustrated install instructions.
Made in USA.
Claimed airflow increase up to 50%. True…? I dunno. But holding each filter in a hand and then blowing hard at the filters >>> I felt more air thru the K&N. For grins I wet my hands to be more sensitive to cooling airflow & had my wife shoot compressed air at each. Then I had her hold the filters; both agreed more air thru the K&N. How much more is subjective …30-40% my opin.

These aren’t the older style K&N’s sprayed with red oil. These are washable in warm soapy water. Dry & install (K&N does make a spray cleaner for these; I got it at Allmart $5.)

First inspection at 8K the filter was DIRTY & full of bugs… I replaced with the Indian brand.
This 2nd inspection at 16K… again dirty/bugs, but the K&N is in now.
For me it’s a no-brainer… support the USA K&N quality product.

INSTALL…
Gotta remove seat & gas tank. Not difficult. JP Cycles has a YouTube vid how to remove the tank… their steps are different than the Indian YouTube video for Challenger Air Filter inspect/replace. (I think the Indian procedure is easier than the JP way.)

Enjoying the Ride

·
Registered
432 Posts
GMan, please let us know if the ole But Dyno likes the added air!

·
Registered
884 Posts

I know some riders believe “additional airflow” filters (like this K&N) have no measurable effect, except maybe a placebo effect. They may have reasons/experience for that.
My simple take…
The Indian filter is $30. Replace only… manual & Indian video say “Do not attempt to clean.” Ok.
No grease or instructions to apply grease along edges.
And, it’s sourced from China.

The K&N was $28 delivered via Amazon.
Lifetime filter …washable.
Tube of high-temp grease included with illustrated install instructions.
Made in USA.
Claimed airflow increase up to 50%. True…? I dunno. But holding each filter in a hand and then blowing hard at the filters >>> I felt more air thru the K&N. For grins I wet my hands to be more sensitive to cooling airflow & had my wife shoot compressed air at each. Then I had her hold the filters; both agreed more air thru the K&N. How much more is subjective …30-40% my opin.

These aren’t the older style K&N’s sprayed with red oil. These are washable in warm soapy water. Dry & install (K&N does make a spray cleaner for these; I got it at Allmart $5.)

First inspection at 8K the filter was DIRTY & full of bugs… I replaced with the Indian brand.
This 2nd inspection at 16K… again dirty/bugs, but the K&N is in now.
For me it’s a no-brainer… support the USA K&N quality product.

INSTALL…
Gotta remove seat & gas tank. Not difficult. JP Cycles has a YouTube vid how to remove the tank… their steps are different than the Indian YouTube video for Challenger Air Filter inspect/replace. (I think the Indian procedure is easier than the JP way.)

Enjoying the Ride
These "aren't the red oil filters?" They look like red oil filters to me based on your picture... in fact, as far as I'm aware ALL KN red filters are oiled, that's where the color comes from. And yes, the Indian air filter video where the remove the tank is superior. Not sure why JP Cycles did it that way, just didn't know how to do it properly I guess.

·
Rider
'17 Springfield, '20 Chieftain
1,926 Posts
Out of curiosity, I looked up the K&N PL-1720 filter and at the bottom of the instruction sheet under cleaning it does make reference to clean and re-oil with the recharger kit.
But regardless, it still is a good alternative.

Attachments

Reactions: mnspeed193

·
Registered
2021 Indian Challenger Darkhorse (with mods, and more coming (of course))
10 Posts
Out of curiosity, I looked up the K&N PL-1720 filter and at the bottom of the instruction sheet under cleaning it does make reference to clean and re-oil with the recharger kit.
But regardless, it still is a good alternative.
unfortunately they are out of stock and I’ve looked in the US, UK and Europe with no eta from K&N

·
Registered
280 Posts
Comment #4…

(EDIT)
I said:
“These aren’t the older style K&N’s sprayed with red oil. These are washable in warm soapy water. Dry & install (K&N does make a spray cleaner for these.)”

Looks like I’m wrong.
K&N’s I bought in years past came in a plastic wrap & the plastic was almost dripping red oil. You could see, touch & smell the oil on the filter.
The K&N I bought for a car months ago was wrapped, red filter, but noticeably without the oil feel… it said “wash & reusable.” Upon closer look that box also says “DryFlow.”
The K&N cleaner I have mentions “dryflow” filters. I wrongly assumed this bike filter was the same cuz although classic K&N red, it doesn’t feel or smell oily. But the cleaning instructions in fine print DO mention re-oiling.

Thx for the correction guys.

Ps… I don’t expect to feel any “butt-dyno” difference. This bike rocks my world already with S1A, TAB decat & pipes, and Lloydz tune

·
Premium Member
2020 Indian Challenger Limited - Thunder Black Pearl
2,695 Posts
Well... I guess I'm just one of the lucky ones, I've used K&N Air Filters on all of my vehicles including my motorcycles, so I have plenty of the cleaner and oil for treatment. For any of you having trouble finding the filter itself for your challenger. You can try your local auto parts store but I do know Amazon has them in stock too. Amazon.com: K&N PL-1720 Replacement Air Filter : Automotive

Here's a link to the K&N Synthetic Cleaner as well. Amazon.com: K&N Synthetic Air Filter Cleaner and Degreaser: 32 Oz Spray Bottle; Restore Engine Air Filter Performance, 99-0624 : Automotive

Reactions: Gman1

·
Registered
884 Posts
Comment #4…

(EDIT)
I said:
“These aren’t the older style K&N’s sprayed with red oil. These are washable in warm soapy water. Dry & install (K&N does make a spray cleaner for these.)”

Looks like I’m wrong.
K&N’s I bought in years past came in a plastic wrap & the plastic was almost dripping red oil. You could see, touch & smell the oil on the filter.
The K&N I bought for a car months ago was wrapped, red filter, but noticeably without the oil feel… it said “wash & reusable.” Upon closer look that box also says “DryFlow.”
The K&N cleaner I have mentions “dryflow” filters. I wrongly assumed this bike filter was the same cuz although classic K&N red, it doesn’t feel or smell oily. But the cleaning instructions in fine print DO mention re-oiling.

Thx for the correction guys.

Ps… I don’t expect to feel any “butt-dyno” difference. This bike rocks my world already with S1A, TAB decat & pipes, and Lloydz tune

I didn't even know they made the dry flow ones until you mentioned you thought it wasn't oiled and I looked it up😂 These oiled filters are great though, my hellcat loves the one I have on it.

Reactions: Gman1

·
Registered
884 Posts
Well... I guess I'm just one of the lucky ones, I've used K&N Air Filters on all of my vehicles including my motorcycles, so I have plenty of the cleaner and oil for treatment. For any of you having trouble finding the filter itself for your challenger. You can try your local auto parts store but I do know Amazon has them in stock too. Amazon.com: K&N PL-1720 Replacement Air Filter : Automotive

Here's a link to the K&N Synthetic Cleaner as well. Amazon.com: K&N Synthetic Air Filter Cleaner and Degreaser: 32 Oz Spray Bottle; Restore Engine Air Filter Performance, 99-0624 : Automotive
I looked on there, they aren't actually in stock it seems, I checked it last night. If you order it, you will notice they can't deliver until like December estimated, which means they definitely don't have them. This is amazon were talking about here 😂, likee same day or within a few days delivery on everything.

Edit: mine is showing mid November now, not december.

Reactions: Lutch

·
Registered
11 Posts
I remember reading somewhere that a Challenger owner took his OEM airfliter to an autoparts store and matched up a K&N filter to his stock OEM one. Only problem was he had to trim the rubber gasket around the new K&N filter in order for it to fit properly into the Challenger air fliter box.

You just gave me an idea, I have a brand new OEM filter tucked away in my Challenger maintenance and spare parts. I need to take it to a parts store and see if I can find a good match for it.
power plus air filter is plastic junk. looking to modify a dennis kirk or arlen ness to fit...

·
Bronze member
2,024 Posts
I used my SuperFlow flowbench to compare airflow in CFM between the stock and K&N filters. Stock filter flowed 116 CFM, the K&N flowed 152 CFM, an increase of 31% and a noticeable improvement in power and throttle response.

RACNRAY

Attachments

·
Registered
884 Posts
I used my SuperFlow flowbench to compare airflow in CFM between the stock and K&N filters. Stock filter flowed 116 CFM, the K&N flowed 152 CFM, an increase of 31% and a noticeable improvement in power and throttle response.

RACNRAY
Seriously you're the f***in man

·
Registered
11 Posts

RACNRAY
do you know of a way to replace the power plus set up with an after market set up? Id like a washable filter because Indian is ALWAYS out of stock on power plus filters>...

·
Registered
884 Posts
do you know of a way to replace the power plus set up with an after market set up? Id like a washable filter because Indian is ALWAYS out of stock on power plus filters>...
What I hate is the 50 state models require you to move the carbon canister to the left side, which just sits there making the engine look ugly... unless you swap the fuel vents and remove that bs lol

·
Registered
67 Posts
Can the K&N be used on an otherwise stock bike? or need tune for increased airflow?

Reactions: Spartan
1 - 20 of 23 Posts