Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just added a K&N air filter to my 2018 RM. I rode for 200 miles... bad news... the mileage has decreased substancially in about 20% and I have not seen any change at all in its performance.
I was told that no reflash nor PCVX is needed for the bike to accept this new filter. I do not have PCVX and I do not want to act on the mapping of the bike because I am very happy with its standard beheaviour.
Was I wrong with this change? Any hint? Should I come back to the original air filter?

·
Founding member
2014 Red Chief Classic
1,068 Posts
You might want to allow the bike's computer to make it's adjustments. Give it a few hundred more miles.

Reactions: Mr.Xtreme

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot for your answer. But...really? Do you think that it is just a matter of time/miles? If so it would be great news for me because I am a little bit concerned about this issue.
Thanks again, 2cool.

·
German Rider
2,138 Posts
K&N Filter element in the stock air box? I ride my 2018 Roadmaster nearly since new and the only increase was/is a nervous right hand, heavy traffic. Normally I got an average between 5 to 6 liters per 100km. Depends on traffic, right hand and speed.

Cu,
Sven

·
Silver member
5,501 Posts
I went stage 2 a few weeks ago. Last week I checked my average MPG and saw that it went from +40ish down to 35ish. WTF I said to self. Then remembered/realized I'd been "on it" more than usual whilst having some fun with the new stage 2 upgrade :oops: So, I filled'r up with 91 and MADE myself ride as I normally had. After a couple hundred miles I checked the average MPG again and guess what... :giggle: :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
408 Posts
I have just added a K&N air filter to my 2018 RM. I rode for 200 miles... bad news... the mileage has decreased substancially in about 20% and I have not seen any change at all in its performance.
I was told that no reflash nor PCVX is needed for the bike to accept this new filter. I do not have PCVX and I do not want to act on the mapping of the bike because I am very happy with its standard beheaviour.
Was I wrong with this change? Any hint? Should I come back to the original air filter?
I put about 10,000 miles on my 2018 RM, and then put in a K&N. I saw about a 10% increase in mpg, and better throttle response and sound. My improvements were instantaneous.

I wonder if the filter you got had a manufacturing defect. I’d take a real close look at that filter. Your experience is the exact opposite of mine. Unless you put in the filter and changed to 100 mile full throttle uphill headwind runs!

·
Founding member
2014 Red Chief Classic
1,068 Posts
I have no idea what kind of bike you rode before, but the computer in these bikes is extremely adaptive and a much newer generation than a Harley for instance. Once again, just give her a little more time, and as others have said ride like you did before. I average a little over 45+ mpg with the same filter, I was only getting about 41 before the K&N.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I do not have stage 2. I have the stock bike with the K&N air filter as the only "modification". Immediately the mileage changed from 5 liters/100 km to 6.2 liters/100 km. I noticed the difference in a very well known 200 miles trip. Anyone else agrees with the idea that it is just a matter of time and miles? I thought that the adjustments were made by the ECU in real time...

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,260 Posts
First, a stage 1 mod is either a high flow air cleaner, high flow exhaust, of both together. Out of those stage 1 mods the one that does really require a reflash of the ECU is the air filter mod. Many here have done aftermarket exhaust with no real difference in the AFR. The air filter on the factory air filter (none stage 1) is pretty restrictive. Changing to an aftermarket or stage 1 air filter really does require a stage 1 reflash of your ECU to maintain the proper efficacy of the engine.

Second, the biggest problem on the K and N system is people over oiling the filter media. This creates more of a restriction of the airflow at least to the point were the filter can shed the excess oil by pulling it into the engine.

You don't have to get a Power Commander for stage 1. The Indian flash 1 cards will suffice for an aftermarket air cleaner or stage 1 air cleaner. With that being said, you can get better performance with a PV3 and a custom tune. This also allows you to add maps later as you do mods on your bike. If you only ever plan on doing the air cleaner and nothing else then just do the Indian stage 1 flash. As for the ECU relearning it does take some time for the engine to retune itself. At least half a tank to get where the engine efficiency really starts to show your best economy. Even when you do a PV3 flash to your bike it takes some time for the engine to go back and fine tune itself. I have shown ECU codes when I do a first start up showing too rich or too lean. You simply need to go out riding a bit to let the ECU relearn and fine tune itself to see that economy come back again. Never judge you economy after a mod with the first tank of gas. Dean

Reactions: Zammer

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks a lot, Dean, for your long and detailed message. It keeps me quiet. I will ride a few more hundred miles with the K&N. I will do no modifications at all nor reflashing.
Do not forget that I live in Spain, and regulations, restrictions and vehicle inspections are really severe here. You cannot change anything at all in any vehicle. All modifications from stock of the factory are strictly forbidden.
To be honest I get crazy when some friends of this forum state that to avoid heat on the right leg they just get rid off the cathalizator. If you do this in Spain you will go to jail....
This is Europe.... so open and liberal for many things but so conservative for other.
Thanks again, friends.

·
Bronze member
3,640 Posts
I don't know what your K&N cost but if it is in the factory bed pan as we call it... you're not getting any performance increase anyway.. if it persists go back to the factory filter..

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah.... I will ride a few more hundred miles and if the poor mileage persists I will come back to the original one....

·
Bronze member
1,367 Posts
I installed a K&N filter on two vehicles. One is a vintage motorcycle that is a sport bike and I have never recorded the mpg. I also install one in a automobile and had the same result a large decrease in mpg. In that case I felt that the increased airflow was read by the computer and it was metering in added fuel to retain the proper ratio. I don’t know if that is a correct assumption but after a few tanks I tossed it. The vintage sport bike is carburetor fed and not fuel injection.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,260 Posts
Thanks a lot, Dean, for your long and detailed message. It keeps me quiet. I will ride a few more hundred miles with the K&N. I will do no modifications at all nor reflashing.
Do not forget that I live in Spain, and regulations, restrictions and vehicle inspections are really severe here. You cannot change anything at all in any vehicle. All modifications from stock of the factory are strictly forbidden.
To be honest I get crazy when some friends of this forum state that to avoid heat on the right leg they just get rid off the cathalizator. If you do this in Spain you will go to jail....
This is Europe.... so open and liberal for many things but so conservative for other.
Thanks again, friends.
Well just one more reason I'm not moving to Europe! Would not mind visiting some time but having too much fun touring the US with my wife riding my RM with all my illegal mods. Dean

·
Silver member
5,305 Posts
I would suggest checking in with K&N and see if you can run that filter without all that spray oil. The Indian High flow Stage 1 is a dry filter and does not recommend that old school oiling of the filter media. That just gums it up and restricts air flow.

The "bedpan" will release excess oil into the air filter from the engine blow by. That is all you need and is how they are environmentally friendly. They absorb that oil vs. releasing it in the atmosphere or dropping it on the ground. Then at each oil change you can use the filter cleaner to clean the K&N element then rinse with water or perhaps like the Indian filter you can just use Simple Green and rinse.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If your mileage went down 20%, you sure your not liking the sound of it sucking air and giving it more throttle ? :D
No. I promise. At low speeds in twisting roads the mileage remains more or less the same. But in open highway riding at 60-70 mph the mileage decreases drastically. :confused:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks a lot for your answer. But...really? Do you think that it is just a matter of time/miles? If so it would be great news for me because I am a little bit concerned about this issue.
Thanks again, 2cool.
I have a 2017 RM Classic and put the K&N on at 2500 miles and have seen an increase in mpg with 0 issues. I also put a pair of Tab performance zombie slip-ons on w/o a refresh and no problems at all.

·
Rider
'17 Springfield, '20 Chieftain
1,413 Posts
Did you add any oil to the filter, or did you install it right out of the box? These filters are pre-treated when you buy them. If you added more spray oil to it, you just made it restrictive and your fuel consumption will increase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 35 Posts