Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Yes they do. Do a search for K&N filters and you should come up with quite a bit.

·
Bronze member
2,244 Posts
Does K and N make a filter for the stage 1 AC? I've looked on their site but can't seem to find.
Yes, there are K&N filters out there that will bolt right up and allow you to eliminate the stock "airbox" if you want to. (The original Stage 1 comes with a K&N element).

But I have looked into this pretty thoroughly and I have concluded that the K&N replacement filter for the OEM paper element is the *best value*.

First, the stock airbox is fed air from the frame and the OEM airbox assembly does have an external lower duct to shunt air directly onto the rear cylinder to aid cooling.

Because the needed airflow to the engine is determined by the amount of air you can flow through the 54 MM throttle body, any extra air can be used for other purposes. On the OEM airbox, there are slots to feed air to the front cylinder.

That indicates (to me) that they get more than enough air into the OEM airbox from the frame. Since the original Stage 1 air filter was just a large K&N cone filter (and with the original Stage 1 kit they actually block off the frame outlet to the airbox area) I feel they gave up on the pressurized airflow from the frame and just went with just a large fancy looking K&N.

Now with the MKII Stage 1 kit, they have gone back to trying to provide positive pressure at the inlet to the engine using their fancy ducting as show on the product page

mkII.stage.1 air.filter.jpg

If their (new) claim of 3% power increase (both torque and HP) is available at low RPM, it would be something I would consider.

But if it only comes at higher RPM, I think the $67 K&N for the stock airbox is the better value. I also think that the better airflow they are getting is from using a filter media that is not the normal paper filter media (which are often restrictive).

HTH.

WD./

·
Registered
105 Posts
Using the stock housing, what does swapping to a K & N filter do for the bike, also could it mess with the warranty and is a flash required when you do the swap?

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts