Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello out there! I’ve just ordered a ‘19 Chieftain Limited and am beside myself waiting for it to come in!

This is a bit of a switch for me as I have ridden Triumphs for the last 20+ years. An Adventurer and a Thunderbird 1600. The Adventurer is a classically styled 3 cylinder and as such I had older gentlemen stop and talk to me at every gas-stop for 85,000 plus miles. The speedometer cable keeps coming loose so I don’t keep track of mileage anymore. They’d tell me about their own Bonne’ back in the day. I myself grew up watching my own father working on old Triumphs in the garage, creating my love for motorbikes and for Triumph. I’ve put 45,000 miles on the Thunderbird and while I love it’s thumpity thump, I’m tired of tip-toeing it out of parking spaces. And worrying about its weight on off-cambers and foot placement.

Growing up on dirt-bikes I can ride anything I can get a toe down to the ground on but comfortable? Not. Then I sat on the 2019 Chieftain Limited at a bike show in February. Bam! Felt so light! And to have gps etc., built in! Hard waterproof bags! I have never been a Harley girl, and while this Indian does resemble a Streetglide (which I have admired over the years) it allows me to easily stand flat-footed over the bike. I am 5’4” with my shoes on. I’m tired of looking for uncomfortable tall boots I can’t walk in. I like riding in my hikers. With the TBird I do this but only on my way to work and when I know I’m not riding anywhere with tricky terrain. I’m hoping I have to sacrifice nothing for this Indian. I test road it in my hiking boots for just that reason. I love to hike on my trips. And stop to hike along the way. It’s not fun carrying extra boots.

Now I’ve only done a test ride. But wow. Just wow. Not only did the seat feel great but it also felt supportive to my lower back. Everything felt just right for me. The only piece of the bike that I struggled with was the kick stand. My 32” inseam has to move forward to reach the kick stand. But they showed me another kick stand they can swap it out with that makes it easier to reach. I’m ok with doing that. It’s nothing compared to suffering 7 years in a row reaching my Tbirds stand with a bungee chord. Honest! I carried it in my small leather tank bag.

So that’s me. Been riding all my life. 15 years alone and 15 years with girlfriends I’ve made in the Motor Maids - women’s oldest motorcycling club. My husband tried riding in his early 20’s because I rode but he never got comfy on the street. He did however pick up my love for racing and so we raced together off-road for 10 years in the GNCC series. Good times.

This summer I’ll be crossing the country again, but on my brand new Indian. My hubby and son will fly out to meet me on the other coast. Life is good.

Trying not to call the dealer every day...

·
German Rider
843 Posts
Welcome from Germany !

Cu,
Sven

·
Registered
291 Posts
Interesting, I currently ride a Thunderbird Commander. My second bird. The chieftain is 40+ pounds heavier. Seat hight on the Chieftain is 1.5 inches lower. I also have a 32" inseam, I'm 5'11. Never noticed an issue with the kickstand on the Thunderbird. With that said, congratulations you sound stoked

·
Bronze member
2,126 Posts
Congratulations and welcome ! And it sounds like you like to get out and roll that’s awesome good for you. Enjoy and roll safe. My first street bike was a Triumph back in 73.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Interesting, I currently ride a Thunderbird Commander. My second bird. The chieftain is 40+ pounds heavier. Seat hight on the Chieftain is 1.5 inches lower. I also have a 32" inseam, I'm 5'11. Never noticed an issue with the kickstand on the Thunderbird. With that said, congratulations you sound stoked
First Thanks! Yes, stoked! My inseam is likely closer to 30/31. I just like my pants long, so I may be fudging my leg length a little. Next I’m going to guess you are heavier than me. I am seriously 5’3” and a half. And 120 pounds. When I have my bird fully packed with Tbag and tail bag the weight brings it down to a reach I can usually make to the kickstand. Daily riding however I am lucky I have not dropped the bike stretching to reach that sucker. And lastly, without a doubt my Thunderbird is much much wider than the Chieftain Limited. Both the seat and the motor. That reduces my leg length significantly. The Chieftain Limited is incredibly narrow. My legs go straight to the ground. I just can’t reach forward to the stand. I have to scoot forward on the seat to do that. My Bird will give me thigh bruises when trying to back it out of my garage, tricky slope. That’s the motor and seat edge digging in. I LOVE the Thunderbird, ridden it for 7 years now. I’m just 7 years older and looking for something that fits me better. I think I found it.

·
Rider
816 Posts
I feel your excitement. I bought my Springfield off the showroom floor but was recovering from surgery and it was another month before I was actually able to pick it up. Not the longest month of my life but damn close.

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
Welcome from Kansas. Can't beat the Indians for comfort overall. I also ride a Triumph for the same reasons you mention. My favorite bike remains the Chieftain with a few mods. Congratulations! Get the extended reach stand and the lowering shock put on yours.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I feel your excitement. I bought my Springfield off the showroom floor but was recovering from surgery and it was another month before I was actually able to pick it up. Not the longest month of my life but damn close.
Wow! Yup, you have felt this struggle! A good one! And thanks! Glad you healed up.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Welcome from Kansas. Can't beat the Indians for comfort overall. I also ride a Triumph for the same reasons you mention. My favorite bike remains the Chieftain with a few mods. Congratulations! Get the extended reach stand and the lowering shock put on yours.
Thanks! My hubby is a K-State Alum. Going to do the kickstand swap, haven’t decided about the shock because it fits pretty well now. But maybe... Beyond excited. Trying not to drive everyone crazy with my enthusiasm.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Congrats and welcome to the tribe from the Pacific Northwest. You will love that bike. Stay safe.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts