Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm extremely happy with the ease of installation and the quality of the deflectors.
Joe did say when we talked that I may have to buy a tap but, that was not the case. The triple tree on my 2016 Chieftain was threaded all the way through.
I did get a chance to take a short ride today, the the wind buffeting from below is a non-factor now.
Thanks Joe.
WDpic1.JPG
WDpic2.JPG

·
Bronze member
2020 Roadmaster Darkhorse
1,205 Posts
Doesn't look too bad. I had a set in my Victory XC and they basically made the bike rideable. Before them, one couldn't see straight above 70mph. I am curious if you notice an increase in engine heat now that some of that air is being steered away from the motor. Please let us know.

·
Banned
2,947 Posts
I had the OEM deflectors on mine when I took delivery. I removed them shortly after and noticed a difference in the amount of heat I was getting form the engine. I'll be putting them back on when the temps start to drop.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I'm extremely happy with the ease of installation and the quality of the deflectors.
Joe did say when we talked that I may have to buy a tap but, that was not the case. The triple tree on my 2016 Chieftain was threaded all the way through.
I did get a chance to take a short ride today, the the wind buffeting from below is a non-factor now.
Thanks Joe. View attachment 82129 View attachment 82137
They look great!

·
Bronze member
1,182 Posts
I'm curious about the effects of the fork attached wind deflectors regarding wind buffeting and engine heat. I noticed wind buffeting while test riding the Chieftains and think highway bar chaps might help. Although, I'm thinking those chaps will work better for colder air and rain protection while the fork mounted deflectors would be better for riders buffeting. Please comment if you have experience with either of these add-ons.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'm curious about the effects of the fork attached wind deflectors regarding wind buffeting and engine heat. I noticed wind buffeting while test riding the Chieftains and think highway bar chaps might help. Although, I'm thinking those chaps will work better for colder air and rain protection while the fork mounted deflectors would be better for riders buffeting. Please comment if you have experience with either of these add-ons.
I have desert dawgs. They work nice for keeping your feet dry/warmer. They do not stop the buffeting. I am likely going to have to try the OEM lowers on my Chieftain because the head shake is irritating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
1,182 Posts
I have desert dawgs. They work nice for keeping your feet dry/warmer. They do not stop the buffeting. I am likely going to have to try the OEM lowers on my Chieftain because the head shake is irritating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for your input @Josh_MN I was thinking the only way to control head buffeting would be to either add hard lowers OR fork mounted wind deflectors.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I first went to the lower windshield the stock tall one was way too high, I was looking thru it. The lower windshield helped reduce some of the buffeting butnot enough To suit me. I then added the Indian clear fork lowers and they definitely reduce the buffeting.
I just picked up a pair of the engine guard chaps and had an opportunity this last weekend to give them a try on my trip from Phoenix to Logan Utah. They really do help keep the feet and legs dry and warm.
I take the engine guard chaps off when the weather is good. Living in Phoenix I also remove the fork lowers in the warmer weather around town. It doesn't take much to remove them or put them back on for the highway.
Hope this helps.

Rawhide

·
Bronze member
1,182 Posts
I first went to the lower windshield the stock tall one was way too high, I was looking thru it. The lower windshield helped reduce some of the buffeting butnot enough To suit me. I then added the Indian clear fork lowers and they definitely reduce the buffeting.
I just picked up a pair of the engine guard chaps and had an opportunity this last weekend to give them a try on my trip from Phoenix to Logan Utah. They really do help keep the feet and legs dry and warm.
I take the engine guard chaps off when the weather is good. Living in Phoenix I also remove the fork lowers in the warmer weather around town. It doesn't take much to remove them or put them back on for the highway.
Hope this helps.

Rawhide
Great input @Rawhide. I wondered if the lower fork deflectors could be taken off and on without too much difficulty or harm to the mounting system.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Great input @Rawhide. I wondered if the lower fork deflectors could be taken off and on without too much difficulty or harm to the mounting system.
I should mention I just remove the clear portion of the lower and leave the chrome mounting bracket.
The full chrome style wasn't available when I purchased mine and would have gone that route had they been around.

Rawhide

·
Rider
545 Posts
I did the same thing with my Chief Vintage. Install was very easy. Buffeting is gone, no change with engine heat maybe a little less. I think they do not take away from the look of the Chief.
IMG_1525.JPG
IMG_1533.JPG
IMG_1532.JPG

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
275 Posts
My question is: Do they work as well as the Indian deflectors? Has anyone had both to make the comparison?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Going on a longer ride this weekend so, I'll be able to comment to the questions about heat from the engine better.
However, the hour long ride I took to see how they reduced buffeting, I didn't notice the heat from the engine as much. The gap between the fork and the deflector streamlines the air to the jugs very well.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts