Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Read Only
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was a lot of excitement when Motherwell announced that they were developing
a custom-fitted, removable luggage rack for the 2014 and beyond Chief, but I and others
were severely disappointed when it debuted as it was heavily curved to meet the fender
line; a design decision that severely restricted its utility to those of us long-distance riders
who need a rack capable of carrying larger loads.

To Motherwell's credit, they almost immediately responded by offering to create a FLAT
rack on an as-ordered basis for those who needed it. I jumped on this and ordered the
flat rack in late December.

Bre at Motherwell advised that it would take some time to produce as they'd have to develop
new welding jigs, etc. and that was OK with me. About two weeks ago, Bre advised that the
rack was about to be sent out for chroming and, once it had been fully inspected, they'd
ship it right out. It arrived last night...:D

The welds are very smooth and professional and the chrome is very high quality. I didn't
weigh the rack, but I'd guess it's about 7-8 lbs. Setting it on a flat surface, I checked for
any warpage and found none.. This is a VERY well made piece.

Once the pillion is removed, the rack goes on and off easily in just seconds and fits
tightly enough that it will not have that famous Harley removable sissybar rattle that I
put up with for years... :cool:

Here's the link to a Flickr album showing the rack on and off the bike..

Motherwell Removable Rack on 2015 Chief Vintage

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I wonder why the made it so tiny. These machines are big and can carry a larger rack without being out of proportion, IMO. For real solo touring you need all the rack you can get.

·
Read Only
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wonder why the made it so tiny. These machines are big and can carry a larger rack without being out of proportion, IMO. For real solo touring you need all the rack you can get.
I've seen your pics of this before and like it..

Or, for a couple of bucks, you can zip tie this to a smaller rack when you need it..
I have one of these that I've used for years to expand the surface area of HD
sissybar racks. Works like a champ..

MUTAZU Motorcycle Trunks

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
They told me that they are really considering making a flat rack that will fit the Chieftain, Roadmaster, and Springfield, since all 3 use the same spools.

>--------> >--------> >-------->

Live Free and Die Well

·
Registered
156 Posts
There was a lot of excitement when Motherwell announced that they were developing
a custom-fitted, removable luggage rack for the 2014 and beyond Chief, but I and others
were severely disappointed when it debuted as it was heavily curved to meet the fender
line; a design decision that severely restricted its utility to those of us long-distance riders
who need a rack capable of carrying larger loads.

To Motherwell's credit, they almost immediately responded by offering to create a FLAT
rack on an as-ordered basis for those who needed it. I jumped on this and ordered the
flat rack in late December.

Bre at Motherwell advised that it would take some time to produce as they'd have to develop
new welding jigs, etc. and that was OK with me. About two weeks ago, Bre advised that the
rack was about to be sent out for chroming and, once it had been fully inspected, they'd
ship it right out. It arrived last night...:D

The welds are very smooth and professional and the chrome is very high quality. I didn't
weigh the rack, but I'd guess it's about 7-8 lbs. Setting it on a flat surface, I checked for
any warpage and found none.. This is a VERY well made piece.

Once the pillion is removed, the rack goes on and off easily in just seconds and fits
tightly enough that it will not have that famous Harley removable sissybar rattle that I
put up with for years... :cool:

Here's the link to a Flickr album showing the rack on and off the bike..

Motherwell Removable Rack on 2015 Chief Vintage
Thank you so much for posting this! Beautiful bike! This rack is exactly what I was looking for and something I would have expected from Indian. Thanks again!!

·
Super Moderator
5,851 Posts
i had a thought. With this detachable rack I would not have to unstrap my leather roll bag (aka tourpack). I'd just take the whole damn rack into the motel room. Cool!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Zorros in Melbourne Australia have stock of both the curved and flat Motherwell racks to fit the chiefs. i dont beleive they fit the chieftans yet as the spools are bigger on the Chieftan im not sure yet about the Springfield but i suspect it will be the same as the Chieftan.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I just got the flat rack for my Vintage. I had the OEM rack, but sold it. I wanted an easy on off rack, instead of having to take the seat off to attach the rack to that. A bonus is that the Motherwell is bigger. Perfect in my opinion, thanks Motherwell!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts