Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

Rider
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the second anniversary of purchasing my 2017 Springfield approaches the original warranty is about to expire. I have only had one very minor warranty issue over the last two years, the locking mechanism on my right saddlebag failed and was replaced no charge. My Springfield has been the most reliable machine I ever owned and of course waaaay too much fun to ride, I currently have 21,700 miles. After getting a solicitation to purchase the extended warranty just about every month over the last two years today I succumbed and stopped by my local dealer here in Tucson.

I purchased an additional 3 years of coverage for $1,200 subject to a $50 deductible. My biggest concern is any issues with the multitude of electronics on the bike but certainly the power train could quickly become a financial problem as well. I have had every service from day one done at the dealership as I no longer have the skills or "want to" to work on the bike. By the time this new coverage expires the bike will probably have well over 50,000 miles and I will be 71. Not saying I will quit riding but probably will quit riding this particular bike and could even see my self in a nice corvette {come on man... who hasn't wanted a Vette most of their lives?}.馃槣

I've never been a fan of extended warranties of any kind but... I had the money. Guess I could have just put the $1,200 in the bank and hoped any problems that arise could/would be covered by that amount but what about the time after that? I have a lot of riding to do for the next three years and knowing that any issues that arise will be on somebody else's dime, a major reason for buying new in the first place - that and getting it OTD for $20,000 nicely equipped -{Less the $50 deductible} works for me. So flame away if you must but I am curious to hear others take on extending the warranty... Would you and why or why not???

:cool:

Registered
I had an extended warranty on a Harley I used to own and never had any problems with making a claim. With that said, is yours through Polaris/Indian or a third party?

Rider
"After getting a solicitation to purchase the extended warranty just about every month over the last two years"

That's interesting, my 2017 Springfield warranty is up next month, and I have yet to hear anything from Indian regarding an extended warranty???

Founding member / aka Husky Davidson. 10/09/14
"After getting a solicitation to purchase the extended warranty just about every month over the last two years"

That's interesting, my 2017 Springfield warranty is up next month, and I have yet to hear anything from Indian regarding an extended warranty???
Somebody not doing their job. Call your dealer, if that doesn鈥檛 work call a different one till you get the answer you want.
I believe they get a commission for selling it.

Senior member / gold
I got my Polaris/Indian extended warranty when I bought my Dark Horse back in late 2015. Had a few minor issues with the bike, but nothing major. I still feel that the extended warranty was worth the money. If nothing else, it gave me Peace of Mind... never having to worry about any major repairs.
Just my opinion.

Registered
I have a 2016 Chieftain Dark Horse, I bought New in late 2018, have not received any communication on extended warranty. Bought a New 2016 Scout 60 last September? That was technically used as it was purchased prior, but never left the dealer, had the 5 yr extended Polaris warranty, just traded for a 2020 Scout 69 and got the 5 yr extended warranty just because. The only issue I have ever had with any of my Indians, was my antennae flew off the CDH while doing Route 66, somewhere in Arizona. It was replaced no charge at all. As they say, better to have and not need.

Reactions: EZ Rider 55

Rider
If you have the money, it's worth the peace of mind. But I don't really worry about the bike much. I have 100 K on my 14 Vintage and the engine's never been touched. Indian did replace the generator at 34K with an "improved" version and I would suppose that version is the one in your bike.

Registered
I have a 2017 Vintage and bought the additional 5 year Polaris/Indian extended warranty. My warranty is pretty much now the factory warranty for a full 7 years from the date of my purchase of the bike - less the $50 deductible, Although to date I鈥檝e not had one bit of warranty work, with all the electronics on these bikes, the peace of mind was totally worth it to me, Now if any thing is ever wrong with the bike (other than routine maintenance and normal wear and tear), I鈥檒l just take it to the dealer and tell them to 鈥渇ix it.鈥

Senior member / gold
I have a 2017 Vintage and bought the additional 5 year Polaris/Indian extended warranty. My warranty is pretty much now the factory warranty for a full 7 years from the date of my purchase of the bike - less the $50 deductible, Although to date I鈥檝e not had one bit of warranty work, with all the electronics on these bikes, the peace of mind was totally worth it to me, Now if any thing is ever wrong with the bike (other than routine maintenance and normal wear and tear), I鈥檒l just take it to the dealer and tell them to 鈥渇ix it.鈥
You'd better double-check with the dealer. That warranty also includes the time in the normal factory warranty. So if you bought a 5 year warranty, you would minus the 2 year factory warranty, so in actuality it is a 3 year extended warranty.
If the dealer says it's on top of the factory warranty..... GET IT IN WRITING!

Registered
The wording is always a little tricky. But yes, I got the 鈥7 year extended warranty鈥 which is actually only 5 additional years on top of the factory 2. My contract is in writing and crystal clear that my warranty is good until 2024.

Registered
Out of curiosity I logged in to the Indian website and went to 'my garage' and my bike is listed there. Under vehicle details there's a link under extended warranty to 'purchase now'. When I go to buy plan now it says no offers are available. My bike is only 4 months old.....interesting.

Registered
I wrestled with the idea of buying the extended warranty and decided against it. I have never been a fan of buying warranties. I hear what you all are saying and I agree, I just decided against it. I have a 17 Chieftan Elite and so far it's been very reliable and without a doubt the finest bike I've ever owned. Time will tell. Hopefully I'm not on here down the road crying the blues.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Registered
No ,need to purchase while under original
Actually, the only way to purchase an Indian warranty is to get it while you are still under the original warranty. Many aftermarket warranties also give a steep discount if you are still under the factory warranty (most start when your warranty ends....but ...double check to ensure as some start the day you purchase). I just went through this process awhile back and learned more than I really wanted to know. LOL

John

1 - 20 of 35 Posts