Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To make a long story short, I had hip surgery 4 months ago. I was having an agonizing ride on my bikes and I had to have the surgery. One thing I realized is that I cannot ride a high seat bike any more plus, I will be 70 years old next year. I had one of the Gilroy Chiefs in the past but I have had Guzzi's (mostly), Harley, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Honda etc. But I needed a low seat height bike that had everything I need. I like to do long trips and I needed a cruiser that had a shorter wheelbase and was easier to move around as I don't have the same upper body strength that I used to have. I went to the Indian dealer and found the bike which I believe will be my last bike, a Super Chief Limited. Now don't get me wrong as I hadn't been on a bike for nearly 4 months and I was a bit apprehensive as I like to ride every day and keep up the knowledge. But I was a bit apprehensive as is the case with any new bike. Everything went well. Tomorrow I will put in more break-in miles as it is very important to break in a strictly air cooled bike (and it used to be with Volkswagens) with a strict regimen. Once you are finished with the 500 miles you can let it rip, at least that is why I intend to do. This is the most expensive bike I have ever purchased but it will be just fine...

Attachments

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,737 Posts
I will probably look to something like the SCL in the future. Right now I have three and a half years of payments to go on my Challenger. I'm thinking 4 to 5 years then maybe the Super Chief Limited. By then my legs will appreciate something lighter to back up.

·
Super Moderator
4,955 Posts
To make a long story short, I had hip surgery 4 months ago. I was having an agonizing ride on my bikes and I had to have the surgery. One thing I realized is that I cannot ride a high seat bike any more plus, I will be 70 years old next year. I had one of the Gilroy Chiefs in the past but I have had Guzzi's (mostly), Harley, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Honda etc. But I needed a low seat height bike that had everything I need. I like to do long trips and I needed a cruiser that had a shorter wheelbase and was easier to move around as I don't have the same upper body strength that I used to have. I went to the Indian dealer and found the bike which I believe will be my last bike, a Super Chief Limited. Now don't get me wrong as I hadn't been on a bike for nearly 4 months and I was a bit apprehensive as I like to ride every day and keep up the knowledge. But I was a bit apprehensive as is the case with any new bike. Everything went well. Tomorrow I will put in more break-in miles as it is very important to break in a strictly air cooled bike (and it used to be with Volkswagens) with a strict regimen. Once you are finished with the 500 miles you can let it rip, at least that is why I intend to do. This is the most expensive bike I have ever purchased but it will be just fine...
That Super Chief looks pretty bland compared to that Gilroy Chief!! Super nice bike!!

·
Founding member
2014 Red Chief Classic
1,025 Posts
Nice 2000 Gilroy Chief. That's the year I had as well.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah the Gilroy Chief had all the bells and whistles. The list is endless but I particularly like the Traveleer bags that Osprey did for me. My brother had original Speed King bags done for his Indian. Since I had all the spray equipment, I put on the Indian head and clear coated it. Both my brother and I lived on Moloka'i and there wasn't any sort of motorcycle place on the island (we bought the bikes on Oahu) so all the upgrades and maintenance was done by me. The only problem I had with the bike was that the nut and washer on the crankshaft primary came off and destroyed the clutch basket and belt and some other items. I ordered the parts from Riviera and Indian reimbursed me for the purchase. The funny thing is when I got back to California I wanted to have a bike that handled better and had superior brakes so, I sold the bike. The guy that bought it never registered it then subsequently he passed away and his wife gave the bike to the son. This is about 8 years after I sold it. Since Hawai'i bureaucracy is so messed up it took about a year to get it registered in California.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I am 72 and was in exactly the same situation as you and oddly, came up with the same solution. It is amazing how much easier it is to move the Super Chief around. I expect it will give us both a number of years longer out there on two.

·
Bronze member
1,278 Posts
you can always put a
sidecar on it.

Reactions: Slinger

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Slinger, I just didn't want to give up yet. There is still riding left in me. Yes, I tried the other Indians that don't have a fairing with longer wheelbase and I tried the Road Kings' heavy front end and decided on the Super Chief as it has the low seat height, easier to muscle around, shorter wheelbase, easy to service motor and good looks.

·
Bronze member
1,278 Posts
cant be any or
many new chiefs with a sidecar on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts