Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Rider
1,277 Posts
being from Houston, I've ridden Three Sisters/Bandera/Kerville/Hill Country only in two occasions...

very nice ride, but also can be dangerous with how narrow the streets are...

if you're local, it's very nice but if you have to travel a couple hours to get there, I don't think it's worth it...

unfortunate incident - RIP to those 3 fine gentlemen

Reactions: PE4CE and IMARIDER

·
Registered
2012 Indian Chief Vintage . 2016 Indian Roadmaster
620 Posts
Article says drunk driver. So I doubt it.
He got drunk intentionally-so it was intentional, people know you cannot drink and operate a motor vehicle safely, yet this person got drunk, got up under the steering wheel of a motor vehicle and drove intentionally. Saying it was an accident is not logical. Same as "gun accidents". No such thing

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He got drunk intentionally-so it was intentional, people know you cannot drink and operate a motor vehicle safely, yet this person got drunk, got up under the steering wheel of a motor vehicle and drove intentionally. Saying it was an accident is not logical. Same as "gun accidents". No such thing
I know the person got drunk intentionally. The comment above was whether the person swerved into the other lane intentionally regardless of being drunk. The article doesn’t say.

·
Founding Member / Distinguished
4,412 Posts
I know the person got drunk intentionally. The comment above was whether the person swerved into the other lane intentionally regardless of being drunk. The article doesn’t say.
Exactly let’s wait for the FACTS to come out and not jump to conclusions and speculations.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2012 Indian Chief Vintage . 2016 Indian Roadmaster
620 Posts
I understand , I hope you understand that the FACT is that if you are drunk and you drive you are risking innocent people's lives. I didn't see where anyone forced the guy to get behind the wheel and drive. I'm calling intentional. You may call it jumping to conclusions.

·
Rider
1,281 Posts
I understand , I hope you understand that the FACT is that if you are drunk and you drive you are risking innocent people's lives. I didn't see where anyone forced the guy to get behind the wheel and drive. I'm calling intentional. You may call it jumping to conclusions.
I think we all understand that. But that does not, or at least should not, imply that the drunk individual made an intentional decision to kill several motorcyclists who also happened to be current/former police officers. That sentiment implies that this incident is in the same vein as Daniel Navarro intentionally ramming his vehicle into Police Office/Motorcyclist Phillip Thiessen.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Tragic deaths. It really sucks. Quite a loss.
But everybody is always ready to jump all over the car driver and he might have been too drunk and took a corner wide and hit the bikes. He might have been texting and not paying attention and hit the bikes. Two beers at lunch and it's DUI baby, no matter what caused it. And a DUI charge pretty much guarantees that you are charged with the accident, no matter who caused it.
On the other hand, the riders were from out of state, at a convention, unfamiliar road, coming back from lunch. Might have been drinking too. Might have been speeding, cops don't get speeding tickets. On paper maybe, but rarely in the real world.
They could have come flying over a blind hill and plowed into a car pulling out of a driveway that they didn't know was there.And that cop investigating the crash is unlikely to write up one of the cops that got hurt or killed. No matter what really happened. It's a brotherhood, I understand that. My dad was a cop.
So really the story was pretty skimpy, they still have to investigate, we need to hear from witnesses, dash cam videos, something. We don't know much now.
I'm not contending that the car driver wasn't at fault, Odds are good that he is just saying that we don't know everything at this time.

·
Rider
1,176 Posts
In this case every one is jumping on the car driver because the report - though yes incomplete - states the car driver crossed the center line and hit the bikes. So forget the “pulling out of a driveway” or the bikes “plowing into” the car. Combine the car driver drinking AND his/her crossing the center line and then whether the bikes were speeding a little or coming over a hill becomes largely irrelevant. It’s the car drivers fault.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,047 Posts
I have ridden the twisty roads around Kerrville many times. The Texas Hill Country is beautifully scenic and the roads are big fun on a motorcycle. But like the mountain roads here in the Big Bend they are narrow, frequently with no shoulders and rock faces on one side and cliffs on the other. There are many blind curves and a lot of traffic on weekends. Head-on collisions of this kind are not uncommon. Riding them with large groups of bikes has its dangers as well. People often simply run off the road, usually with disastrous results. I prefer to ride them during the week and with no more than two or three companions. Very sorry for those injured and killed from the Thin Blue Line MC.
--- Randall

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, the road they were on was Highway 16, twisty road back to Bandera. The article said they were just south of Kerrville, so that would be around the area where they hold the Kerrville Folk Festival. As you say, it is narrow with blind corners and not much shoulder to speak of. Have to take that one kind of slow. Aside from other factors, don’t know if excess speed by anyone was an issue.

·
Registered
250 Posts
exactly, no reason, no excuse!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Lost a good friend Sunday..In Idaho..hit guard rail..they think he had a heart attack or stroke..He was the fire chief in his town..and ran a ranch..Never Easy...Ride Safe Everyone...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts