Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Bronze member
2020 Roadmaster Darkhorse
1,210 Posts
You can buy a trickle charge cable that will support jumping. I have one on my chieftain. It came with the portable jump starter I bought in Daytona during bike week. A regular trickle charge adapter will not support the current needed to jump start (as you may already know).

Reactions: wassup77

·
Rider
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can buy a trickle charge cable that will support jumping. I have one on my chieftain. It came with the portable jump starter I bought in Daytona during bike week. A regular trickle charge adapter will not support the current needed to jump start (as you may already know).
Yeah tried that and popped a fuse.

Recommended method is careful battery recharge... Not jump starting.
That’s fine and dandy until you leave home on the bike and go somewhere where you park it for a while and then can’t crank it when you come back out.

·
Bronze member
2020 Roadmaster Darkhorse
1,210 Posts
Yeah tried that and popped a fuse.

That’s fine and dandy until you leave home on the bike and go somewhere where you park it for a while and then can’t crank it when you come back out.
I believe you are missing the point. With this cable you can connect a portable jump starter without removing the seat.

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
The link Subdude posted earlier is the answer.

Those mini jump starter packs come with alligator clips but there is another option, the direct cable. You bolt the cable to the battery and it stays under a side cover. It then plugs into the jump starter when needed.

Most of the alligator connectors have a bulky fitting in the lead, which contains protection circuitry in case you attach the clips with wrong polarity. With the permanent cable you don't need that box. You only need to make sure the permanent cable has the same fitting as the jump starter pack.

·
Bronze member
3,166 Posts
I just put a 15 amp fuse in my stock pigtail.it came with a 3 amp fuse.
Works great with a cordless jump starter i keep in my saddlebags.hook it up,go hang out for 5 minutes.
Disconnect it before starting to avoid a large amp draw.works for me.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Recommended method is careful battery recharge... Not jump starting.
I’d say that’s recommended for any battery in any vehicle. But that’s really only helpful if you’re at home when the battery dies. Jump start is typically emergency get home maneuver meaning a careful recharge wouldn’t be possible. Nobody plans to have a dead battery.

And while the jump box connectors are all fine and dandy as well, takes some pre planning to go ahead and buy those and hook them up(many don’t ever think about needing a jump until they do). And they only work with a jump box, so you’d have to be carrying a charged one of those(yea some do, but lots don’t). If it comes down to only havin some good old fashioned jumper cables and a buddies/strangers vehicle those connectors wouldn’t help. Even a lot of jump boxes that just have the alligator clips that aren’t removable(both my jump boxes have fixed clips). In that case, I know on some previous bikes I’ve jumped using the starter relay or even straight to the starter itself if the battery isn’t easily accessible. The starter for the 111 is right on the front of the engine, just a rubber cover over the positive terminal. Would be easy to just find a good ground and jump straight to the starters positive. Never tried that with a keyless ignition system though so no idea if that would play some part.

Of course that’s obviously not a recommended way to start your indian, but if stuck in a pinch it’s a whole lot easier than removing the side panels, seat, and vcm to get to the battery.

I’ve also in the past used the push start method but that was much smaller bikes; def don’t want to be trying to push start an 800lb bike.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I have the Indian motorcycle jump pack which came with a pigtail to attach to the battery for jump starting. Never needed it in two years but it does make for a good battery backup for charging a cell phone. It does have a connection that hooks up to the charging pigtail so you could use it to quick charge up the battery a little that may help it start.

Reactions: manta1
1 - 10 of 10 Posts