Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

81 - 97 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
View attachment 495068 For those of you who had to drill out the pilot holes, here is my solution for a cleaner appearance on my 2015 Chieftain. Drilled the 9/16 holes out to 5/8, went to Ace Hardware, bought four 5/8 plastic plugs/caps (60 cents each), and presto!
I did the exact same.

But yours looks better because it is black in black, not black on bronze

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
120 Posts
Just went out and tested mine for a short ride. Wasn’t able to get much above 45, so wasn’t able to get a feel to see if the helped or not. Doing on a longer ride Sunday, should have a proper idea after that.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I have a Chief DH not a chiftain and I just installed the deflectors last night, I have the short windshield from indian, before the JES were on, I had terrible helmet buffeting at any speed above15-20mph, I did a short ride last night at about 45MPH and now the buffeting is mostly gone, only a tiny bit at the top of my helmet is left but I might get a Freedom shield with the flip to get rid of that, for now I am going to see if my current set up works for a few weeks.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I have a Chief DH not a chiftain and I just installed the deflectors last night, I have the short windshield from indian, before the JES were on, I had terrible helmet buffeting at any speed above15-20mph, I did a short ride last night at about 45MPH and now the buffeting is mostly gone, only a tiny bit at the top of my helmet is left but I might get a Freedom shield with the flip to get rid of that, for now I am going to see if my current set up works for a few weeks.
Freedom Shields are nice. Really like mine.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have attached three pictures, picture with red circles are the screws I've removed, the picture with blue circle is the thing to attach the deflector on. It's the same on both sides.

What I did was, removed 6 screws (two in fairing, three in signal, one behind signal light mount). Then I had a friend carefully pull the fairing away from the mount so I can access it. Placed the plate on the mount and patiently installed two screws in then tighten with an Allen wrench (the L shaped one). Adjust the defector before reinstalling the fairing and signals. That's how I've done it, and it was less than 10 minutes each side.

This was done on 2019 Chieftain Dark Horse. I hope this helps those whom don't want to drill into their fairing.
This was extremely helpful. I was hesistant to drill the fairing and snuck the screws underneath as well made for easy and clean install. Thank you

·
Registered
120 Posts
Buffeting is significantly better. They look great and now I can hear my music at highway speeds with my full face on!

My take off the flip windshield during these warmer months to get more air though

·
Registered
46 Posts
Buffeting is significantly better. They look great and now I can hear my music at highway speeds with my full face on!

My take off the flip windshield during these warmer months to get more air though

Yes I was saying the same thing. I went from my head shaking heavily to no wind st all. It was 90 yesterday and got warm. Good problems to have. Adjust and ride!

·
Registered
120 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
From all the positive reviews I think I am going to get a set of these for my Chieftan. Nothing but good things being said.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
211 Posts
Had to finish paint mine before trying them out today. Noticeable decrease in wind around the helmet, but still good enough flow down low on the legs still. I ran at 65 mph with the 13.7" Indian windscreen fully up and was able to leave my helmet visor open (wearing sunglasses). Perfect wind coming into the helmet and not so much to make my head dance anymore. Good purchase now it is all sorted.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Anyone install these who has mustache bars on a 17 Chieftain Dark horse? Wondering if I still need to order the ones for engine guards or not.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Ok we did the install on the JES Deflectors and didnt drill the fairing. We removed a few screws from fairing and blinker then pulled out the plastic away from triple tree where these are being bolted to.
We did however go to Ace hardware and got hex head replacement bolts M8 x 1.25 same length as allens to install instead of using the allens.
So much easier to do.
Everything lined up and fit like a glove.
These deflectors do work well. For sure really drastically changes the air flow coming up along tank.
There is some air coming up but not with force like before. Delighted with them and the Engineering on these is first rate. A wonderful product looks good, works well and worth your purchase is my take on this.
Paul

·
Registered
6 Posts
Installed mine on my 2018 Chieftain Dark Horse with no issues, no drilling. Just pop the rubber covers off the side of the fairing and insert the provided bolts. I did add a little blue locktite to keep them secure. All I can say is they made a HUGE difference! Best thing i've put on my bike yet!

·
Registered
319 Posts
I haven't put many upgrades or options on this bike yet but I agree this is one of the best real world improvements that we added.
Very satisfied.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Here is an even easier way for those of us without the holes and not wanting to drill holes.

Do what ChiefKeef says in his pics below and remove those six screws. Back of fairing won't want to pull back to give you any room because just above the lower fairing screw is an alignment pin. If you keep pulling rearward gently, it will pop out. No catches on it, just a straight alignment pin. See my pics below.
Disclaimer: I am not responsible for your alignment tab. It will take more pressure then you might think but it will pop out if you are comfortable with it. Your call...

I have attached three pictures, picture with red circles are the screws I've removed, the picture with blue circle is the thing to attach the deflector on. It's the same on both sides.
What I did was, removed 6 screws (two in fairing, three in signal, one behind signal light mount). Then I had a friend carefully pull the fairing away from the mount so I can access it. Placed the plate on the mount and patiently installed two screws in then tighten with an Allen wrench (the L shaped one). Adjust the defector before reinstalling the fairing and signals. That's how I've done it, and it was less than 10 minutes each side.
This was done on 2019 Chieftain Dark Horse. I hope this helps those whom don't want to drill into their fairing.
My Pics:

20190911_160229.jpg 20190911_160223.jpg

81 - 97 of 97 Posts