Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I installed the JES deflectors yesterday and today I went out to check its effectiveness ... I am pleased to say that it works as advertised . No more wind buffeting on my half face helmet ... it is now a non issue . I took the bike on the highway up to 70, 80 and 90 mph with no wind bothering me on my face at all and with the windshield raised only a couple of inches . I wear a half face Bell Pit Boss helmet . The Bell has a Sun visor so it is convenient for everything but the wind buffeting was very annoying ... well, no more .
And on top of that , they look great on my bike . I got the chrome deflectors that match perfectly on my Silver Smoke .
I recommend these deflectors . They are very effective , alright .

·
Registered
21 Posts
Those look awesome and I'm having the same buffeting problems, so I want to give these a try. Can you tell me more about the install? Their website says "You will need to drill out the four inner fairing holes marked out from Indian already." Was that easy to do? Thanks!

BTW, beautiful bike! I just picked up a 2016 Silver Smoke Chieftain myself on Friday. Time to start the customizing. You've given me lots of ideas! :)

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those look awesome and I'm having the same buffeting problems, so I want to give these a try. Can you tell me more about the install? Their website says "You will need to drill out the four inner fairing holes marked out from Indian already." Was that easy to do? Thanks!

BTW, beautiful bike! I just picked up a 2016 Silver Smoke Chieftain myself on Friday. Time to start the customizing. You've given me lots of ideas! :)
The deflectors are attached to two threaded holes already drilled and ready on each side of the bike`s frame , but the fairing is covering the drilled holes . The deflectors are placed between the fairing and the frame , so you need to drill the plastic fairing to be able to insert the bolts . Simple thing to do , when you see it you will know what to do , not a big deal at all .

·
Registered
21 Posts
I think they look great in body color or chrome. Since I have the silver smoke, I'll go chrome like josey. If they really work as well as you guys say, I'm on board! I just wanted to make sure that the install didn't require major modifications. :)

Oh, and THANKS, guys!!!

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
Still working well on my Chieftain, did a 950 mile run over 2 days in 40 degree temps, really helped.

>---------> >---------> >--------->

Live Free - Ride Hard - Die Well

·
Registered
638 Posts
I had these on my Harley Street Gllide last year. It simply made the engine to hot, had to remove them

·
Registered
154 Posts
I went to the site....looks like they just have them for Harley’s.....which one for a Cheiftain? Thanks for the info.....

·
Registered
638 Posts
Still working well on my Chieftain, did a 950 mile run over 2 days in 40 degree temps, really helped.

Do they block airflow to the engine? On my Harley the engine got much hotter with them! I have a 2018 Chieftain Classic

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
No, they actually move some air towards the motor and away from your legs.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have the JES wind deflectors on order for my 2017 Chieftain Ltd and hope to have them in the next week or so. I upgraded from a 2014 Chieftain in October because I put 25k miles on it. I've now put 2k miles on this bike and I find there is much more wind buffet than previously. I wonder if it's the change of front wheel size and the different rake, or maybe the shorter screen but there is definitely more wind. I feel it mostly from below so hopefully this is the solution. I hope it works as I have 3k miles to do this month in France! I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I've had them on my DH Chieftain for over a year now. They were "okay" with the stock windshield, but now that I've got the 12" Battle Axe, it's like I'm in a bubble of calm air.

BD
I'm also looking at the Battle Axe...any chance you're around 6' tall? I'm trying to get a reference point for the windshield height.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
I'm also looking at the Battle Axe...any chance you're around 6' tall? I'm trying to get a reference point for the windshield height.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I am 6'3" and have the Klokwerks Flare (the windshield the battle axe copies) I have the 14" version, biggest they make, and with the JES lowers it works great. I get a tad bit of a buffet in gusty wind conditions but it really isn't an issue. I also have the freedom shields 14" version. It is 2" taller* than the Klockwerks, but haven't installed it yet. For the winter I most likely will.

Some shields are measured from top to bottom (Klockwerks) and others are measured from the center mounting fastener up. (LRS, Freedom*)

1 - 20 of 97 Posts