Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 132,000 trouble free miles on my Wind Dancer (18 RM), I had something fail.
The fuel pump filter was totally clogged with the usual debris that most gas stations sell. That caused the pump to work itself to death.

Fortunately it happened just down the road from the Smoky mtn Indian dealer in NC. These guys are going above and beyond to get me back on the road. Their tech, Corey knows his stuff and I'm sure glad he's here.

Hoka Hey

·
Registered
232 Posts
After 132,000 trouble free miles on my Wind Dancer (18 RM), I had something fail.
The fuel pump filter was totally clogged with the usual debris that most gas stations sell. That caused the pump to work itself to death.

Fortunately it happened just down the road from the Smoky mtn Indian dealer in NC. These guys are going above and beyond to get me back on the road. Their tech, Corey knows his stuff and I'm sure glad he's here.

Hoka Hey
Holy Cow!!! 132K on a 2 year old bike!!! I wish I could ride that much. I get about 7 Months a year to ride and have a little over 10K on my 18CDH. Ride Safe!!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Sounds like that may be something to change after so many miles, if not to difficult.
Never mind, just checked the manual and it’s not replaceable. You have to change the whole pump out on 2016 models and up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Sounds like that may be something to change after so many miles, if not to difficult.
Never mind, just checked the manual and it’s not replaceable. You have to change the whole pump out on 2016 models and up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's how it is on most new cars, as well. I think the last vehicle that I had with a replaceable fuel filter was either a 98 or an 01.

·
Rider
1,303 Posts
132,000 not 13,200 miles on a 2 year old bike? Damn I wish I could ride like that either way. Glad they are taking care if you.

·
Bronze member
2,479 Posts
Can you post a picture of the old pump so we can see what it looks like?? And how much did that Indian dealership charge ya for it??? Thank you! Dave!!!

·
Super Moderator
11,371 Posts
Glad the Smoky Mtn guys are taking good care of ya. Roll on, brother!

·
Bronze member
2,479 Posts
132,000 miles is pretty good mileage for one of these pumps.I had to replace the one in my 2010 Triumph [also high pressure for fuel injection] at the 98,000 mile mark cause it was really making noise,a LOUD humming,progressively getting worse,which is the first indication of eminent failure.But the good news was,after alittle research ,the same pump used in that machine [and I suspect, in the Indian as well] was also the same pump used in the automotive world,meaning,it can be bought for a lot less money, compared to what Triumph and Indian will charge for the SAME EXACT PUMP.[maybe someone could post a picture of the old pump after it's been changed so we can see what it looks like] I believe the pressure is some where between 35 -55 psi.,but I don't know that for sure cause I haven't really checked into it yet.But when or if you hear a loud humming coming from the fuel pump,change it,or get it changed ASAP. Why?? Cause these machines are pretty heavy to be pushing ALL THE WAY HOME!! lol lol lol lol

However,I can give ya a couple tips to help prevent early pump failure!
#1 Periodiically,add alittle Marvel Mystery oil to the fuel as it will help lube the pump.I did this all the time to all my vehicles in the fleet I serviced when I was working,as well as my own vehicles cause they were all injected and all had pumps in the tank,just like our bikes.
Why is it in the tank?? Cause injection requires pushing the fuel to the injectors,under pressure, unlike carburetor applications where the fuel was pulled from the tank via a pump mounted on the side of the block cause those applications only needed a couple PSI to function .

#2 Do NOT run the tank LOW.When ya see the gauge getting towards the 1/4 tank mark,GET SOME GAS.Why??
Cause the gas is what keeps the pump cool and from over heating. Ca Pishe??? Dave!!!

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
OP: I'm impressed not only with the 132k miles on your 2018 RM, but the fact that your signature indicates you have totaled 2 previous RMs in 2016 & 2017. And still putting on the miles as most of us only dream of. You're the man!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts