Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while back I asked about the quality of the pre-Polaris Indians. Most folks said they were good but I remember seeing an article about the recalls on those bikes. Some were pretty scary. I transposed it into a Word doc and couldn't find it at the time. I found it. Here it is. All the links are dead but looks like I found it at Motorcyclistonline. It's still a bit painful to read.

Indian Motorcycle Defects

2009 INDIAN CHIEF VINTAGE

WHEELS:RIM

Indian Motorcycle Company (Indian) is recalling certain model year 2009 Deluxe and Standard, 2009-2011 Roadmaster, 2009-2013 Vintage, 2010 Bomber, 2010-2013 Classic and Dark Horse, 2011 Blackhawk Dark and Blackhawk motorcycles. The rear rim may crack and cause a loss of air pressure.... more

STRUCTURE:MOTORCYCLE KICKSTAND/CENTER STAND

POLARIS IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2009-2011 INDIAN MOTORCYCLES FOR FAILING TO CONFORM TO THE REQUIREMENTS OF FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARD NO. 123, "MOTORCYCLE CONTROLS AND DISPLAYS." THE SIDE STAND MAY NOT FOLD REARWARD AND UPWARD IF IT CONTACTS THE GROUND WHEN THE MOTORCYCLE IS...... more

EXTERIOR LIGHTING:HEADLIGHTS:SWITCH

POLARIS IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2009-2011 INDIAN MOTORCYCLES FOR THE BODY CONTROL MODULE (BCM) WHICH CAN CAUSE THE HEADLIGHT TO TURN OFF IN SOME CIRCUMSTANCES. IF THE HEADLIGHT SWITCH IS SLOWLY MOVED FROM ONE POSITION TO ANOTHER (HIGH BEAM TO LOW BEAM OR LOW BEAM TO HIGH BEAM), BOTH BEAMS...... more

2002 INDIAN SCOUT

STRUCTURE

ON CERTAIN MOTORCYCLES, THE WELD ATTACHING THE FENDER MOUNT TO THE FRONT FORK MAY CRACK AND BREAK CAUSING THE FENDER TO FALL AND LOCK FRONT WHEEL.... more

2003 INDIAN SPIRIT

STRUCTURE

ON CERTAIN MOTORCYCLES, THE WELD ATTACHING THE FENDER MOUNT TO THE FRONT FORK MAY CRACK AND BREAK CAUSING THE FENDER TO FALL AND LOCK FRONT WHEEL.... more

2001 INDIAN SPIRIT

STRUCTURE

2002 INDIAN SPIRIT

STRUCTURE

2003 INDIAN SCOUT

STRUCTURE

2001 INDIAN SCOUT

STRUCTURE

2002 INDIAN SCOUT

EXTERIOR LIGHTING:HEADLIGHTS

ON CERTAIN MOTORCYCLES, THE BRACKET USED TO SUPPORT THE TEARDROP HEADLIGHT CAN CRACK, CAUSING THE BRACKET TO BREAK AND THE LIGHT TO SLIP OUT OF POSITION OR FALL OFF. ... more

Read more: Motorcycle Buyer's Guide

Reactions: wildmandmc

·
Bronze member
3,043 Posts
this might serve a public interest in their prospective forums

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
wow some serious sht there. Glad they got it together. I remember HD had one issue in particular about the rear break light assembly. a yr after recall maybe 2 yrs still had that same issue. i know cos it burnt a hole in my luggage, wifes bathing suit which just bought for $100. hd covered it but not suit, an didn't cover but GET This a $6.99 lightbulb. had to pay for freaking bulb. SO Proud to be a Indian MC owner.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts