Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have only had the bike about a week, and more times than not, it won't start until I've made several attempts. If no gear shows up in the display, it does nothing. I've tried shifting into Neutral, First, and Second while moving the bike back and forth. I have to go through the Power cycle a few times before a gear finally registers on the display - once it does, I can start it.

I know the bike will only start in Neutral if the Sidestand is down - that's not the issue. I can tell the bike is in neutral, because I can roll it back and forth several feet. But until the "N" lights up on the display, she won't start.

Does anyone else encounter this issue?

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Have no problem like that, but just for the heck of it, have you checked your battery connections? Am just guessing here, BUT BE VERY CAREFUL not to touch the ecm, vcm, whatever they call it with any tools OR let it touch any metal. Hear that's a BIG NO NO.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Have no problem like that, but just for the heck of it, have you checked your battery connections? Am just guessing here, BUT BE VERY CAREFUL not to touch the ecm, vcm, whatever they call it with any tools OR let it touch any metal. Hear that's a BIG NO NO.
Have only had the bike about a week, and more times than not, it won't start until I've made several attempts. If no gear shows up in the display, it does nothing. I've tried shifting into Neutral, First, and Second while moving the bike back and forth. I have to go through the Power cycle a few times before a gear finally registers on the display - once it does, I can start it.

I know the bike will only start in Neutral if the Sidestand is down - that's not the issue. I can tell the bike is in neutral, because I can roll it back and forth several feet. But until the "N" lights up on the display, she won't start.

Does anyone else encounter this issue?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yes, I've had a similar problem. My issue ended up being the battery in the key fob. When I entered the start code the Vintage started no problem. Just a word of warning when changing the battery be sure to activate the starter with the fob asap after replacing the key fob battery as the personal start code will be lost if there is a delay.

I hope your issue is as simple as mine.

I've driven the Vintage approx 11,500 km's without any other issue related to the motorcycle. The Vintage is an awesome bike, and a real conversation starter everywhere you stop.

Good luck.

·
11th Light Infantry Brigade
3,603 Posts
First eliminate the fob altogether. Just leave it in the house and use your code. If bike starts with no prob then prob fob

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
When you say it won't start, I assume you mean nothing at all - not even the sound of the fuel pump?

The bike will not register N (neutral) unless it either detects the key fob or you input the code.

So, as some have indicated, your choices are:

1. Bad battery connection (not as likely since the bike does start eventually)
2. Bad key fob battery. Quite likely, since it can sometimes see the fob. Put the fob down right where the gas tank meets the seat and see if you have the same problem.
3. Gear position sensor is acting up, not detecting that you are in neutral. Not really likely.

Best solutions:
1. Start with your PIN. If it shows neutral and starts reliability, it's your fob battery. As said earlier, it's good practice to get accustomed to starting your bike all the time with the PIN so you don't forget it. Much more dependable than the fob.
2. If neutral still will not show up using PIN, you may have a bad neutral gear position sensor. Warranty.
3. Always a good idea to tighten your battery connections.

·
Founding member
2,300 Posts
My problem is the same as yours, only it's intermittent! Still no resolution.
Do you carry the fob in a pocket with other metallic objects (keys, phone, pocketknife)? If they are in close proximity to the fob, it can interfere with the RF signal. This can cause the intermittent problem. Move the fob (or the other items) to a different pocket.

Also, a weak fob battery could be the issue - especially as temperatures get colder. Replacing the battery is a cheap, easy troubleshooting effort that might fix the problem. EDIT: Just saw from your other post that you have tried replacing the fob battery. I'm betting on interference of the RF signal.

·
Bronze member
2,879 Posts
My problem is the same as yours, only it's intermittent! Still no resolution.
Make sour that the fob battery is 3 volts + and the next time your at the dealers ask him to plug her up to the digital wrench and ask him to un-install the key fob (make a note of the code) then re-install it, see if that sorts it out, it did with my CV

1 - 15 of 15 Posts