Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had 2018 Scout in for the 500 mile service last weekend. When I took it to the service department at the dealer I asked them to check out a vibration & noise with the front brakes. Also, cruising at a constant speed between 30 and 40 mph, the bike surges.

I was told that they tightened up the front caliper and re-seated the pads. They also told me that there was nothing wrong with the surging & I just needed to get used to the bike. A week later the noise and vibration in the front brake is back and the surging is driving me nuts. Anyone else having these issues? Advice?

·
Registered
968 Posts
Not only RPM, but what gear are you in when the surging starts? I have a 2018 Scout with the Stage 1 and reflash. I get a little surging in 1st gear between 0-5MPH that wasn't there before the Stage 1 addition. No brake problems.

·
I want to go fast.
1,268 Posts
2018 Bobber, no issues at all. Except I wore the rear tire off in 2500 miles, but that’s a testament to how much fun I was having on it.

·
Distinguished Founding Member
5,337 Posts
Can't speak about the Surging on an 18 although my first Run 2015 Scout did it but was corrected with an ECU Upgrade ,, The Front brakes were always a bit noisy on my Scout but just adapted to it as long as it stopped fine , which it did ..

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry for the late response-the weather has been too nice...

Brakes: I checked the front rotor and it is smooth as glass. I'm guessing that the pads are the problem. When I get some time I'm going to take them off and check them out. Noisy as hell.

Surging: This seems to be getting a little bit worse, but the more I think about it, the issue really occurs anytime that I am cruising at a constant speed. I commute to work on a regular basis and I have a long stretch of flat, level road with a 35 mph speed limit - this is where I really notice it. Today I was paying a little closer attention to the issue and it appears that there is quite a bit of "slack" or "play" somewhere in the drive train. I can sit on the bike with the engine off and in 1st gear, and I can roll it back and forth with several inches of movement - in my opinion, a little too much movement. I'm thinking that I'm feeling this "slack" or "play" while at a constant speed on a flat road.

Anyone else notice this? Thanks again for any suggestions.

·
Silver member
5,038 Posts
Your ECM is compensating. Down shift or hold your clutch slower than idle and you will get no surging. If you surge in 3 than drop to 2. Your bike is compensating your slow speed to insure you don't stall when you should be in a lower gear! It's weird, but you get used to it.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Sorry for the late response-the weather has been too nice...

Brakes: I checked the front rotor and it is smooth as glass. I'm guessing that the pads are the problem. When I get some time I'm going to take them off and check them out. Noisy as hell.

Surging: This seems to be getting a little bit worse, but the more I think about it, the issue really occurs anytime that I am cruising at a constant speed. I commute to work on a regular basis and I have a long stretch of flat, level road with a 35 mph speed limit - this is where I really notice it. Today I was paying a little closer attention to the issue and it appears that there is quite a bit of "slack" or "play" somewhere in the drive train. I can sit on the bike with the engine off and in 1st gear, and I can roll it back and forth with several inches of movement - in my opinion, a little too much movement. I'm thinking that I'm feeling this "slack" or "play" while at a constant speed on a flat road.

The slack sounds normal,dont worry about it.You say the brakes are "noisy as hell". Are they squealing ? If so the dealer should take care of that for you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had the surging issues and noisy front brake on my new Scout 69.
For the surging, as others have said, just drop a gear or two, as needed. As a general rule, I've found at lower speeds I tend not to go higher than 4th gear at around 30mph, and 5th at around 40mph. Coincidentally, exactly the same speed/gear combinations on my other bike, an 800cc Sports Tourer.
Regarding the noisy front brake, I mentioned it at the first service and the dealer said it's common but he'd look at it. Left for home and it was OK, but it returned a short distance later. It's a type of groaning noise that causes resonation through the bars and the forks can be seen juddering as I come to a halt. It suppose it could be contamination, glazed pads or a bad compound. Does anyone recommend either a known solution to the problem or alternative disc pads as it drives me mad?

·
Bronze member
2,011 Posts
Almost like my '15 Scout, although my front brake has never been bad. It just sounds like what I imagine ABS might be like but without any vibrations. Makes a weird resonating hum sound, more often than not.
My cure for surges was getting the Dynojet PV-CX and their stock tune into the ECM. Fantastic fix.

edit: seeing what EPOCH6 said, in my case I could hold the throttle as steady as humanly possible yet the engine RPM jumped up and down. Although I only had trouble at very low RPM and speeds, nothing noticed (or realized) once up to the 30 or 40 MPH being told about.

·
Bronze member
2019 FTR 1200
1,288 Posts
Today I was paying a little closer attention to the issue and it appears that there is quite a bit of "slack" or "play" somewhere in the drive train. I can sit on the bike with the engine off and in 1st gear, and I can roll it back and forth with several inches of movement - in my opinion, a little too much movement. I'm thinking that I'm feeling this "slack" or "play" while at a constant speed on a flat road.

I know it is frustrating when other people tell you that there is no issue, especially dealership mechanics, but I think what you're identifying as throttle surge is electronic delay in the ride-by-wire throttle response. This can be felt when you twist the throttle in any gear, there is a brief moment, probably a bit less than 1 second, where nothing happens, and then you feel the torque kick in. This can be especially annoying when you are trying to maintain a specific speed (continually modulating the throttle on and off in small movements), and even more annoying in the lower gears because lower gears naturally have more torque and the throttle delay feels much more pronounced as a result. If this is in fact what you're feeling, the good news is that there is a solution (re-mapping your ECU with the Dynojet Power Vision CX), the bad news is that it costs $400. The aftermarket ECU maps for the Scouts have done a great job minimizing ride-by-wire throttle delay, it's a significant improvement over stock AND you get a significant boost in power/torque at the same time.

Have you had any experience with ride-by-wire throttle on any of your previous bikes? It does take some getting used to.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yes, thanks for the suggestion.
My current sports tourer is ride-by-wire and really sensitive. When I first got it, if I was riding down very bumpy country lanes in a low gear, the constant bumping could induce wonderful Kangaroo and nodding dog impressions due to the small movements on the throttle. As with many bikes, there are little foibles that we learn to get around. I've learnt that engaging a higher gear on very rough roads minimises the effect. I think that, with the Scout, I'll stick to the lower gear logic rather than fork out the equivalent of $570 for the PV CX over here in the UK. Sounds a nice wish-list item though.

Regarding the front brake groaning and vibration, I'm sure it's not the ABS, as some suggest, as the ABS modulation works at a much lower frequency, I would guess at the low-hundred Hertz and sounds like a banging when it cuts in whereas this is more like into the thousand+ Hertz.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts