Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I should know better, but went ahead and downloaded and installed the Nov 16th Ride Command update. True to form, the update caused more issues than it solved. Anyone else having these issues and found a way to rectify them?
  • Digital speedometer no longer holds a constant speed. It continually jumps between 2 speeds, ie 64-65 then 65-66 and so on.
  • Day/Night mode defaults to night when you click auto. And no amount of driving in the sun will pull it off night, you have to manually hit day.
  • It erased both settings on my garage door opener. (The Indian one that works in your ride command)
  • I did not get a "Speed limit overlay on map screen". I did get a speedometer in the top right hand corner of both map pages that jumps around just like the regular digital speedo.
  • I no longer ride on the road on the map pages, I ride to the right of the road about the width of the arrow away.
  • Every time I start the bike the radio comes on for approx a second or two on FM. I never ride with the radio on FM. After the 1-2 seconds it defaults to whatever I had it on.
These are the issues I know about so far in a hour long ride after the update. I'll check out more items later. As you can see nothing is terrible, but reprogramming the garage door opener, especially since my gate remote isn't around right now, and the day/night is a bit frustrating. I was told it's impossible to go back to the older update by Customer Support.
Hopefully someone has stumbled on a fix. I can't believe I'm the only one this happened to.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Only issue i had was it messed up my BT pairing deleted it and readded works like a champ.

Also have Home link and garage codes remained.

Haven't seen any speedometer issues.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger Limited Deepwater Blue, 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited Black (33k Miles), 2012
3 Posts
No issues so far other than as stated got actual speed versus speed limit

take that back other issue is with waypoint release, used to be able to clear info that popped on screen with waypoint info.
on my 2017 chieftain limited I was able to utilize the right side toggle to clear, now only way to clear is wait or reach for the screen to clear

·
Registered
69 Posts
No issues so far other than as stated got actual speed versus speed limit

take that back other issue is with waypoint release, used to be able to clear info that popped on screen with waypoint info.
on my 2017 chieftain limited I was able to utilize the right side toggle to clear, now only way to clear is wait or reach for the screen to clear
Wasn't the speed limit deal show up as a green or red arrow/dot? Seems like i read that somewhere. I honestly haven't paid attention since the upgrade.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,558 Posts
I don't have the garage door opener but
  • I no longer ride on the road on the map pages, I ride to the right of the road about the width of the arrow away.
  • I did not get a "Speed limit overlay on map screen". I did get a speedometer in the top right hand corner of both map pages

·
Registered
314 Posts
I also noticed on the NAV that my bike was slightly off to the right of the road as well. But this was on the first day riding after getting the update done.. Today I took her out for a spin in 40 degree weather.. bike started right up and NAV was on point. No noticeable issues to report. Maybe your bike just needs to "calibrate" or something. May need to take her out a few times.

·
Registered
2021 Roadmaster 116
59 Posts
How can you tell if the modem is enabled? I did the update, turned on speed limit, weather, traffic on the map overlays. I also did a map update. I took it for a ride today (first time since the update) and I saw where the speed was overlayed on the maps but no speed limit. I also saw no traffic or weather at all. This is a 2021 Roadmaster with 570 miles on it.
Also about 20 minutes into the ride I lose my speedometer, TPMI, MPG, miles to empty and heated grips controls on the Ride Command (analog speedo no problem) and the orange triangle comes up on my tach!
First problem I have encountered since the update. I get to where I was going and turned the bike off, when I restarted everything is back just fine and stayed that way all the way home.
Some sort of glitch in the update I guess. Hope it was a one time thing.
Anyway aside from the speed overlay I can tell no difference that the update did for me. Boot up was no faster as some say for them. (I thought at first it was but it isn't) Maybe my modem isn't enabled either?
Anybody know how to check it?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had to do the map update 3x. First 2x I got a "invalid map data file" or something like that during the update. Switch to the map screen, it was blank with a pop-up window telling me to go to the dealer to get nav installed. For giggles, tried again and it worked. The garage door opener and Bluetooth pair did not change. The boot up does not seem any faster. I have a 2020.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I can see on the ridecommand if the update has been installed on the bike....shows the current version on the screen. How can tell if the map data has been updated? Does it show anywhere that the current version is active?

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger Limited in Bright Freaking Red!
102 Posts
Did the update and then hit the road for an 800 mile ride to thanksgiving. I’m not seeing a great difference in performance. The speed limits in Indian’s nav are frequently incorrect. The improvement to the auto-dining feature on the screen seems to mostly be a bust - rode under a bridge this morning and it switched to dark and wouldn’t switch back 1 second later after emerging from the other side of the bridge. No improvement to CarPlay functionality. The “faster load times” when booting up the system appears to be more of a “paper over” fix than an actual fix. When the Smokey Indian logo appears instead of the OK button being immediately pressable, it stays greyed out for maybe 10-20 seconds - I assume to not allow us to see the screens “loading” while they’re doing that in the background. Pretty unimpressed. Thanks god the power plus is freaking awesome! 😂

·
Registered
2021 Roadmaster 116
59 Posts
How can you tell if the modem is enabled? I did the update, turned on speed limit, weather, traffic on the map overlays. I also did a map update. I took it for a ride today (first time since the update) and I saw where the speed was overlayed on the maps but no speed limit. I also saw no traffic or weather at all. This is a 2021 Roadmaster with 570 miles on it.
Also about 20 minutes into the ride I lose my speedometer, TPMI, MPG, miles to empty and heated grips controls on the Ride Command (analog speedo no problem) and the orange triangle comes up on my tach!
First problem I have encountered since the update. I get to where I was going and turned the bike off, when I restarted everything is back just fine and stayed that way all the way home.
Some sort of glitch in the update I guess. Hope it was a one time thing.
Anyway aside from the speed overlay I can tell no difference that the update did for me. Boot up was no faster as some say for them. (I thought at first it was but it isn't) Maybe my modem isn't enabled either?
Anybody know how to check it?
Found this on another post and it will show if modem is enabled:
--- Open Settings on your bike and go All Settings > System > Cellular Modem and check the RSSI. If this value is near 0, it means that your cellular modem is not activated. Just call Indian (not your dealership, they don't know what to do) and tell them that your modem is not activated. They will fix it.---

I did this and mine was reading 80% so I guess it's on. I went to the map and zoomed WAAAAY out and it showed the doppler radar with storms headed east. So I guess the modem is seeing the weather. I don't know about traffic as I never have checked that on the maps before does it show something on the map or give written notices?
As far as the speed limit thing I won't know until I take another ride but nothing yesterday. I just hope the glitch doesn't come back like yesterday.
Yeah, ... unimpressed with the update. But I guess they are trying so there's that.

·
Registered
2021 Roadmaster 116
59 Posts
I can see on the ridecommand if the update has been installed on the bike....shows the current version on the screen. How can tell if the map data has been updated? Does it show anywhere that the current version is active?
I just did the current version of the map update 2 days ago and this is what it shows: On-Road_NA_20210713

So if you show that on your RC I guess you have the current version.
Hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts