Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put on a new tidy tail which required new indicators.
I chose sequential LED indicators and everything seemed to go smoothly.
They light up as they should, however even when the blinker is turned off the first LED in the turn signal blinks rather lightly. Worse even with the ignition all the way off and key out it still lightly blinks. (both)

The turn signals came with a resistor which i did NOT use as the FTR comes with LED's. I'm guessing this is the issue?

Thoughts? Others who have run into similar issues?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm curious to know why the tail tidy required new indicators. Was this a physical mounting issue? I fitted an Aeromach CI-8200 tail tidy, which allowed the fitting of the original indicators.

The first think I would do would be to reconnect the original indicators, and see if things return to normal. If they do, then look for a way of remounting the original ones.

As you have found out, LED turn signals are not all the same. Some may have a current limiting resistor built in, others like your replacement ones, require an external limiting resistor. You could also try adding the resistors into the circuit to see if this fixes things.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I had to change the rear indicators because when I installed the SW Moto side bag with the Aeromach tail tidy the stock ones were to big.Used M Moto Ice units,super small,very bright when on and zero issues other than adapters to connect to the bikes harness.

·
Rider
1,164 Posts
With Canbus bikes anomalies can occur very easily as Canbus is a two way street. The controller will send out a signal and expect a signal return. If you change the resistive value of any given circuit for example replace indicators for those of a different value the return signal will not be correct. ‘Load Equalisers’ usually of 55 watt value need to be fitted to ensure the balance and signals are maintained. On a non Canbus bike you can get away with a single equaliser for all four indicators simply to maintain the instrument cluster indicator flash rate correctly, on a Canbus bike it is much more complex and you need two equalisers, one for the front and another for the rear if you have replaced all four indicators. They usually have three flyleads, one to be fitted to each positive indicator supply and a common ground/earth. Your splicing needs to be perfect usually achieved by soldering as dodgy terminations can also upset the balance.

Alternatively buy a quality set of proven LED indicators that are simply plug and play, Kellermann, Rizoma are good makes.

Reactions: R. Warshawsky

·
Bronze member
2,047 Posts
You will need to install the old resistors. Just because the bike comes with leds doesn’t mean you don’t need them. As different leds Draw differently

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Kiwi - yes it was the combination of the tidy tail AND the Indian number plates. The wholes fouled one another but the small bolt on aftermarket indicators still fit. (stock has a bigger bolt and a second nipple to keep it in place (plus the are HUGE)

·
Rider
1,164 Posts
With sequential illumination the resistive value/load of the circuit is never constant. CanBus systems send out a signal and expect a stable return, with yours constantly changing even fitting resistors would not work as far as I am aware. Send them back and go for some of the many high quality plug and play ones.

·
Rider
1,164 Posts
Probably not unless they are advertised as CanBus compliant for the reasons explained in my previous post varying load. Why the fixation on sequential? I have Rizomas and they work just fine. The ones below come with a set of resistors specifically to make them work on CanBus bikes as detailed in the description, the sequentials do not, these are the ones fitted to mine:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just dig it... certainly not needed
The ones i posted do say they come with resistors, just doesn't say if its CanBus compliant or not. But i havent noticed that one any listings.

·
Rider
1,164 Posts
Here is the advert from my dealership for the Rizoma Sequentials no mention of resistors. Even fitting fixed value resistors the return signal would still not be stable due to the sequential illumination and extinguishing of the LEDs. Keep it simple ditch the sequential idea would be my advice as an electrical engineer or drop Moore Speed or Rizoma an e-mail and ask them before committing to purchase. Do your research. Good luck.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
appreciate it.. i ordered them from someone i can easily return them to. Ill just take them out of the box, connect and see if they work before installing anything.
In the mean time I am going to drop them an email

·
Rider
1,164 Posts
Generally if LED indicators are advertised as coming with resistors they should be CanBus compliant. Naturally the resistors can go in the bin if it is not a CanBus bike. Sequential illumination is another ballgame altogether.

Blimey you nailed that order in quick! Be very interested in the results. As far as I can see unless you had a turn signal control module that could cope and match the illumination of the LEDs with a separate resistance value for each and every LED illumination to keep the CanBus stable and happy I seriously doubt these are going to work? As stated good luck anyway! Plan B could always be to get the Rizoma Corsas in black as they have been proven to work 100%?

·
Bronze member
2,047 Posts
Ferraiolo - The stock LEDs had resistors? Are they in the actual turn signals?

K9F - i used the rizoma harness pig tails, but it sounds like perhaps i should just use different Indicators
these are the ones i bought
LighTech Sequential LED Turn Signal - Cycle Gear
No. But the computer is programmed to work with the particular load that they use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OK Im impressed how quickly Rizoma wrote back....

Dear Curtis,

Thank you for your interest in our brand and for your inquiry.

We’d like to inform you that the indicators are compatible (see our compatibility list) in attached you can find the instruction.

We also suggest the articles:
  • EE179H qty 2 ( for 4 indicators) plug & play wiring kit
  • FR435B qty 1 mounting kit on OEM license plate
  • FR244B qty 1front mounting kit not compatible with OEM headlight cover (alternatively aluminum fairing headlight code ZIN001 including bracket for Rizoma indicators)
INDIAN: dedicated product line created by Rizoma -
Universal Indicator Lights by Rizoma Bikes Accessories -
Dedicated product line created by Rizoma -

We take this opportunity to wish you a Good Day

Cristiano

Guess we will see

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Rizoma's come with 2 resistors that have bullet connectors on both ends. Instructions show they can be used individually, in parallel, or in series to achieve needed resistance.
On the FTR i just plugged them in and they worked perfectly all by themselves.
Also ordered set of Oxfords and will text them before installing anything

·
Rider
1,164 Posts
Good news and interesting too.Thanks for updating.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts