Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Dear Forum

It happened that I liked the nice looks of the Kuryakyn Phantom Levers black edition, I thought it would really look nice on my DH especially with the Arlen Ness mirrors so I purchased them and installed them on my 21 DH

However, with only less than 2000 miles on the bike, the clutch cable snapped ! , Had to order a new one as of course the warranty won't cover this!!.

With close inspection, I noticed there is a design flaw with these levers, it's pulling the cable clutch at an angle that causes tension and stress on the cable clutch until it snaps from short use. * see the picture where the plastic cover was scratched over and over*

trying to get hold of Kuryakyn to let them know of this issue with no success,

Did anyone purchased or installed these of their Challenger or had a similar issue with them ( i am aware of one Youtuber who had a similar issue and had to put back stock levers)

·
Registered
235 Posts
This has been discussed in the FB Challenger group starting a year ago. Another rider & myself with the Kuryakyn levers caught this early & posted about it… my fix was to use a drill bit and lengthen the channel to match that of the oem lever. That took 10min, easy. Since then no issue with cable. Keep the end greased as owner manual states is important so it can freely rotate.

Bottomline, BAD design by Kuryakyn and they know it. See their published reply.
For grins, I switched to a Barnett cable & keep the oem cable rolled up & stashed in a bag as spare.
The K levers are cheap quality… black looks good & they work fine after mod the clutch groove, but will prob add PSR levers later.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This has been discussed in the FB Challenger group starting a year ago. Another rider & myself with the Kuryakyn levers caught this early & posted about it… my fix was to use a drill bit and lengthen the channel to match that of the oem lever. That took 10min, easy. Since then no issue with cable. Keep the end greased as owner manual states is important so it can freely rotate.

Bottomline, BAD design by Kuryakyn and they know it. See their published reply.
For grins, I switched to a Barnett cable & keep the oem cable rolled up & stashed in a bag as spare.
The K levers are cheap quality… black looks good & they work fine after mod the clutch groove, but will prob add PSR levers later.

That's a great relief to know it has been caught before and been raised to Kuryakyn

Yes, the damage extended beyond buying a new cable and had to pay shipping cost to overseas. I left my stock levers with other OEM parts in another country to be shipped to me later. Hence my bike is not drivable for time being and over a week parked now, thanks for this now I can do temporary fix until Kuryakyn do something about this

How can I get my name added to the list?

Thanks for the help

·
Bronze member
2,916 Posts
Bite the bullet and get the PSR levers. The best price is from Biohazard Cycles...I think I paid $200 & no shipping or tax. You get what you pay for.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Dear Forum

It happened that I liked the nice looks of the Kuryakyn Phantom Levers black edition, I thought it would really look nice on my DH especially with the Arlen Ness mirrors so I purchased them and installed them on my 21 DH

However, with only less than 2000 miles on the bike, the clutch cable snapped ! , Had to order a new one as of course the warranty won't cover this!!.

With close inspection, I noticed there is a design flaw with these levers, it's pulling the cable clutch at an angle that causes tension and stress on the cable clutch until it snaps from short use. * see the picture where the plastic cover was scratched over and over*

Did anyone purchased or installed these of their Challenger or had a similar issue with them ( i am aware of one Youtuber who had a similar issue and had to put back stock levers)

View attachment 637051

View attachment 637052
Dear Forum

View attachment 637051

View attachment 637052
Dear Forum

View attachment 637051

View attachment 637052
Hi , my 16CDH ate 2 cables bc factory lever was not machined for clearance or removal of corner that pinched the cable when pulled. Small file and Barnett cable should fix this issue.

·
Registered
235 Posts
This has been discussed at length on the Challenger FB groups starting a year ago. And I posted about it here long ago.
Yes the Kuryakyn levers are not designed right & they know it.
Get a Barnett cable then:
1) use a drill bit or file to lengthen the channel of the Kuryakyn lever, OR
2) get the PSR Adj Levers… they are GREAT!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Unbelievable that Kuryakyn doesn’t fix this simple issue. Really piss poor on their part…..

Reactions: Gman1

·
Registered
341 Posts
I’m with BigMac116! I feel the same.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts